Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 83
  1. #71
    Regular Joybit's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Joybit
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Neutrois
    Posts
    78
    I would definitely not say "no longer expanding", but it's safe to say that we passed the initial "hype boom" quite a while ago.
    Rinpoe the Ringtail Fox and Joybit the Rock Dove
    Live in this profile
    --> 01B6D8CF <--

  2. #72
    I think it is probably always expanding like most fandoms out there. At times we get our high points of people joining and low points. Even when things may not be booming so to speak there is always someone somewhere that's joining, expanding the fandom.
    Icon by Sixel

  3. #73
    Junior inpw's Avatar
    Weasyl
    N/A
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    10
    Many people would say they don’t really care or that it’s just a fandom while I for one actually support the growth of the community. It’ll help artists of all kinds to get their content be worth something more than just a commission price declared by a niche fandom filled with university/college students.

    I’ve also noticed boosts in furry communities with the release of pop culture media especially video games. It makes sense if you consider the amount of gamers on steam with some kind of cartoon animal profile pic and causes people to search for similar things online. But the influx I’m actually talking about is particularly observable in a local forum where I live. Skyrim, How to Train Your Dragon etc… was followed by a massive influx of Scalies on the forum yet this is only an observation.

    Considering mainstream media such as upcoming films including Zootopia I do believe that might also impact the curiosity driving the furry fandom. It is a thing most of us find online rather than a friend of a friend.

    One of the biggest issues for most furries still is defining the fandom. For some reason people struggle with explaining it to another person that is interested. In my honest opinion people need to stop trying to be ambassadors for the group and just make it clear that this is why they like it… It’s a damaging negative perception when someone says all furries like X or Y.

  4. #74
    Senior GlaringFeline's Avatar
    Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    U.S.S Enterprise
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by inpw View Post
    One of the biggest issues for most furries still is defining the fandom. For some reason people struggle with explaining it to another person that is interested. In my honest opinion people need to stop trying to be ambassadors for the group and just make it clear that this is why they like it… It’s a damaging negative perception when someone says all furries like X or Y.
    People usually go into defense mode when asked about the furry fandom because of the generally negative perception; they feel like they have to get rid of the rumors, when they really don't have to acknowledge them in their explanation at all unless the topic is brought up. If the negativity is brought up, it can easily be countered with "a lot of fandoms have infamous people in them, furries aren't the only people that can be shitty".
    -Insert inspirational quote here-

  5. #75
    Senior Eduard's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Domnul Eduard
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Transylvania
    Gender
    Gentleman
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by GlaringFeline View Post
    People usually go into defense mode when asked about the furry fandom because of the generally negative perception; they feel like they have to get rid of the rumors, when they really don't have to acknowledge them in their explanation at all unless the topic is brought up. If the negativity is brought up, it can easily be countered with "a lot of fandoms have infamous people in them, furries aren't the only people that can be shitty".
    But the difference between other fandoms and the furry fandom is that these fandoms denounce the infamous and degenerate members (with exceptions). The furry fandom, on the contrary, in some cases, worships and defends them.
    Also, some fandoms turn their negative things into shock value which increase their marketing. A prime example would be Black Metal and its whole church-burning charade, Satanic imagery, extremism, homophobia, racism, murders, arson and animal cruelty. It were these negative things about it that made it grow so much.

  6. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduard View Post
    But the difference between other fandoms and the furry fandom is that these fandoms denounce the infamous and degenerate members (with exceptions). The furry fandom, on the contrary, in some cases, worships and defends them.
    ...............
    I honestly believe this will come back and hit this fandom hard. Being open and accepting is one thing. Turning a blind eye to things that will cause harm is another. It's an accident waiting to happen. Just to clarify and keep drama to a minimum I'm not talking about the gay community. There's nothing wrong with being human. Nor am I aiming at overly eccentric furries. Again nothing wrong with being human. As far as adult behavior in fursuit? Might as well stop denying something people can clearly watch on Youtube. Denying it makes the fandom look like it's still hiding something. This is also not a topic that would harm the fandom. It's a great topic for haters. Just turn a blind eye to the fact the human race has been playing dressup for adult activities. Probably for as long as there's been human clothing. Again nothing wrong with being human. this thread is about the growth of the fandom. Not what might harm it. So I'll stay on topic.

    For now the fandom is growing. Not just in forum membership. Conventions are getting bigger too. New conventions are popping up each year.

  7. #77
    Senior GlaringFeline's Avatar
    Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    U.S.S Enterprise
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduard View Post
    But the difference between other fandoms and the furry fandom is that these fandoms denounce the infamous and degenerate members (with exceptions). The furry fandom, on the contrary, in some cases, worships and defends them.
    Also, some fandoms turn their negative things into shock value which increase their marketing. A prime example would be Black Metal and its whole church-burning charade, Satanic imagery, extremism, homophobia, racism, murders, arson and animal cruelty. It were these negative things about it that made it grow so much.
    Sadly, this is true on so many levels. The furry fandom has already proven that they glorify piece of shit individuals like HinaUchi(People ordered from her when her drama was still big knowing that she's an incredibly infamous scammer and liar, enabling her to scam more people. If that isn't a prime example of the fandom licking asses of people that don't deserve it, then I don't know what is.) and Dragoneer, and defend immature brats that can't handle critique. To be honest, this is one of my key criticisms of the fandom, that so many of them will stand by people that really don't deserve to be supported. Granted, I still consider myself part of the fandom because I know that not every furry is gullible and naive.

    If the furry fandom is trying to take an example from black metal, they're having a completely opposite effect. Instead of attracting a bigger audience for those reasons, the things that make the fandom infamous turned it into the laughing stock of the internet during what I can only describe as the Renaissance of internet trolling(though this has died down a lot from what I can see and is more directed towards the "special" individuals themselves nowadays).
    Last edited by GlaringFeline; 08-24-2015 at 12:00 AM.
    -Insert inspirational quote here-

  8. #78
    Senior Rilvor's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alteir
    Posts
    1,199
    Quote Originally Posted by GlaringFeline View Post
    Sadly, this is true on so many levels. The furry fandom has already proven that they glorify piece of shit individuals like HinaUchi(People ordered from her when her drama was still big knowing that she's an incredibly infamous scammer and liar, enabling her to scam more people. If that isn't a prime example of the fandom licking asses of people that don't deserve it, then I don't know what is.) and Dragoneer, and defend immature brats that can't handle critique. To be honest, this is one of my key criticisms of the fandom, that so many of them will stand by people that really don't deserve to be supported. Granted, I still consider myself part of the fandom because I know that not every furry is gullible and naive.

    If the furry fandom is trying to take an example from black metal, they're having a completely opposite effect. Instead of attracting a bigger audience for those reasons, the things that make the fandom infamous turned it into the laughing stock of the internet during what I can only describe as the Renaissance of internet trolling(though this has died down a lot from what I can see and is more directed towards the "special" individuals themselves nowadays).
    I have to say I wanted to say this myself but you beat me to it. Well said.

  9. #79
    Junior Kipsy's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Nami
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    17
    I don't think it's entirely true. I know there are a ton of younger minors that are getting into the fandom. I would say I don't see a lot of new younger adults/people in their twenties or people older. It seems like it's growing on the internet, but when I go to conventions it seems like it's always the same people who attend them. :0

  10. #80
    Senior GlaringFeline's Avatar
    Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    U.S.S Enterprise
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilvor View Post
    I have to say I wanted to say this myself but you beat me to it. Well said.
    Thank you, though Eduard beat both of us to the point that the fandom commonly defends asswipes like the two I mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipsy View Post
    I don't think it's entirely true. I know there are a ton of younger minors that are getting into the fandom. I would say I don't see a lot of new younger adults/people in their twenties or people older. It seems like it's growing on the internet, but when I go to conventions it seems like it's always the same people who attend them. :0
    It's probably all the same people because those minors have no way to go to cons that are far away, or don't want to go at all(and I can't say I blame them, there are plenty of con horror stories out there).
    -Insert inspirational quote here-

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •