Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    If you found an issue why don't you post it under https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/...-Forum-Support so the devs can fix it?

Excuse me, but just in the last half years LOTS of things changed, several bugs were fixed, several new features were added and so on.

If you think something on Weasyl is not well implemented, then help making it better by submitting issues and suggestions. So far I've seen quote a few that were posted here be implemented and many bugs posted under support fixed.

The devs are doing this in their free time, and they have insane amount of work so we can all help them to make their effort more effective!
    I refuse to believe after half a year, no one notices "You can't search Authro or Piece name"

And the front page still looks the same.

Sure they are fixing bugs but in term of design and usability, it's still low. THey're not focusing their asset and manpower right. Their niche as a neat site isn't really appealing when generating views is 100x easier on DA and 20x easier on FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiz View Post
    You can search username:

https://www.weasyl.com/help/searching

So if I wanted to find something from you in the search, I'd include "user:zeitzbach".

Submission name isn't included in search though iirc.
    Who came up with the idea that if you want to search for a name, you have to use a certain tag infront?

Have 3 different boxes with different labels and different search query. One of the golden rules of UI design is user friendly and going against that and forcing people to read the "How to" before they can do anything every other site is capable of is very weird.
    Last edited by Zeitzbach; 03-31-2015 at 11:17 AM.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #22

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    Who came up with the idea that if you want to search for a name, you have to use a certain tag infront?

Have 3 different boxes with different labels and different search query. One of the golden rules of UI design is user friendly and going against that and forcing people to read the "How to" before they can do anything every other site is capable of is very weird.

We started out with tag searching and we're looking into ways to improve our search engine in general.

Weasyl
    Storm
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    Google
    - Storm ~ "Sic itur ad astra per aspera." [Commission info]

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Good thing we're google then because I really need a link to this certain wikipage.

Username and Piece name should be tagged by default then.

If the usename is tagged, use somethign like ratemyserver.net

Different box for different query command. If I want to search by username, I will go with the userbox.

Trying to go swaglord compared to other site isn't really helping. It's just making the site more annoying to use.

Weasyl
    Noxid
    I agree with Zeitzbach in this instance, I believe the Weasyl search is more powerful than people are aware but it's presented so minimally that people can't discover it without reading documentation and that's an HCI failure.
    The solution in my mind would be to have the searchbar continue to perform exactly as it does now, with an optional "Advanced search" dropdown with various form controls that let you "build" your query from what you want, and as you add things to the advanced search the equivalent search syntax shows up in the bar until you press go or whatever. That way people can learn the features that are available in an intuitive way and it doesn't hinder those that know the system well and can type searches on their own.

Using google as an example, they do have those features but they really try their best to keep them out of sight from regular users and have their search bar do exactly one thing: take a query, and figure out what you want from it. It's natural and doesn't require special syntax in most cases. Google's advanced search gives you form fields to populate because that's more intuitive than figuring out syntax.
    Weasyl doesn't exactly have the kind of robust natural language search engine that google does so some compromise is needed
    Last edited by Noxid; 03-31-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    I feel like the dev team is overestimating the wonder of the tag system.

The last time we had a talk about this, the answer was

"THEN THE USER WILL TAG IT"
    and now

"TAG IS VERY GOOD"

but the thing is, why is it that the user have to put in so much effort because the tagging is powerful? The site is like a weapon.

When I go on DA, I get myself an AK47 to shoot people and become Allahu Akbah famous

But when I go on Weasyl, it's like buying a rocket launcher from IKEA.

Weasyl
    Sci
    Veering back somewhat toward the original topic, if the underlying goal is just to get more use of the site then it needs more goal-driven users.
    I'm viewing the site here as a tool for acheiving those goals in a way that does so better than other tools (sites) available.

So what are the goals of art/creative site users? I would think they at least include;

• Viewing creations
    • Buying creations
    • Selling creations
    • Improving skills/critique/gaining information
    • Creating/allowing social groups around content/interests

Currently I would say we're off to an okay start. Viewing and presentation works acceptably well and that the "Critique Wanted" tag exists is a good start (though it doesn't seem to include a "View all" option like the Streaming list next to it). The forums add a back-channel method for social groups and improving skills, though in-site it's limited in visibility to isolated page comments. Moderation so far seems fair.

While the streaming list could be seen as advertising (say, availibility of stream-sketch slots), promotion of people available for or seeking comissions is limited to the details listed on individual user pages or the forum marketplace. Again I would view the forum as a back-channel to the site, currently making user pages (unless already followed) more a portfolio to reference than a way of promoting a service/goal.

Firstly, is there a search option for people with their Comissions tag set to "available"? I can't see one. The dataset is there, and allowing people to at-a-glance search for commission-available users of certain types of commission-info content keyword and particular price brackets would be an amazing resource to push the marketplace side. Add example thumbnails from a users Featured folder and anyone could hunt up their next commissioned work with ease. I'd put that in "killer-app" territory.
    If you want a premium level version, add a user/artist feedback/warning option only premium users can see (obviously covered by normal content rules, no cursing, slander, hate speech, etc).

Secondly, the forum doesn't tie directly into the website beyond the unverified Weasyl page link on a forum profile.
    It seems to me that progressing Groups functionality would be the next big step to improving the users social experience, though I would hope it is tied in somehow with the existing forum groups to reduce redundancy. Build the ability to interact over subject-matter. Obviously merging them would be non-trivial, but perhaps some sort of "expanded topic" link from submissions, or embedded link-back in the forums? It's not clear-cut, but there's options.

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    More activity and a better layout would help.

Though Weasyl's users are odd. I've noticed (on both mine and others art) that a piece can get a LOT of views, but almost no favs or comments. Not sure what the deal is with that. :/

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    Quote Originally Posted by TealMoon View Post
    More activity and a better layout would help.

Though Weasyl's users are odd. I've noticed (on both mine and others art) that a piece can get a LOT of views, but almost no favs or comments. Not sure what the deal is with that. :/
    I have noticed this trend as well. I'll submit a piece both to here and FA, and I'll actually get more views and more favorites here than there more than half the time, but I'm more likely to get a comment or two there and less likely here. I'm not entirely sure what that disparity is, but after I discovered that a long while back I've been making extra efforts to leave a comment on almost every favorite I make (not that I haven't been doing that more on all sites, just here especially). Perhaps it is that Weasyl is not their "main" site for browsing and instead they save their comments and feedback for other sites? That's a bit of a generalization since I'm sure there are multiple reasons for it, but it might be one of them.

I know at least a handful of artists that literally say this same thing though: "If it wasn't for the thumbnails I'd be posting on Weasyl more." But I know that is already an issue being addressed so there is no need to rehash it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxid
    The solution in my mind would be to have the searchbar continue to perform exactly as it does now, with an optional "Advanced search" dropdown with various form controls that let you "build" your query from what you want, and as you add things to the advanced search the equivalent search syntax shows up in the bar until you press go or whatever. That way people can learn the features that are available in an intuitive way and it doesn't hinder those that know the system well and can type searches on their own.
    This is a sound idea and as long as it was implemented properly, could be a great step towards better usability and browsing in general.

Weasyl
    athdaraxen
    Just to touch on the views thing. I am by no means a popular artist on here or any other sight but as of yesterday Weasyl is by far where my work is viewed the most. Things I have on FA or instance get around 5-15 views, Weasyl on the other hand is generally around 70! I know these aren't really high but the difference can be seen in almost every single piece I have in both galleries. It was extremely surprising when I noticed the trend.