Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Vae
    Quote Originally Posted by sethtriggs View Post
    One reason is that almost 1/3 of that gallery (and I am willing to even assume that 2/3 won't be moved over) is the comic that's built so much of my audience recently. This means that all of its link navigation would have to be rebuilt, but the folder feature takes a lot of the effort out of that at least. The comics are also a contiguous story, meaning that it is important to have all of the bits of it. As I've said here before, I'm willing to leave the rest of the gallery behind as long as it's easier to port the comics. As a test case, I tried it with just one of the smaller books, and it really chewed up a ton of time.

The other thing that's very important about porting art over is not only to back it up in case (you know, like how the snarkier of the critics keep telling artists to do, "don't put all your eggs in one basket"), but to also provide a portfolio and body of work. There are people who have watched me just from browsing my gallery and seeing the wide variety of things I draw. It is also something that's important for showing that I have a history of producing lots of art and that I am to be trusted for commissions.

So that body of work is important for first impressions.

-Seth
    In this case, would it not be better to host your comics independently, and just submit new pages / supplementary material / etc to Weasyl, while linking back to the comic itself in the description for people who want to check it out?

Art sites go up and down. Art site activity fluctuates.
    It seems a lot better to have a static domain for these things, instead of "I'm gonna port over 3k images to this one, now, because the old one went to hell."
    It would certainly save you the hassle if it happens in the future, as well.
    Especially considering the sheer volume of work.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Quote Originally Posted by Kurk2288 View Post
    I think a lot of us take the staff here for granted and expect too much sometimes.
    I think it's a minor miracle that anyone put up with the stuff that comes with running one of these things. Even the ones who run a bad site are doing us a favour, and a big one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    In this case, would it not be better to host your comics independently, and just submit new pages / supplementary material / etc to Weasyl, while linking back to the comic itself in the description for people who want to check it out?

Art sites go up and down. Art site activity fluctuates.
    It seems a lot better to have a static domain for these things, instead of "I'm gonna port over 3k images to this one, now, because the old one went to hell."
    It would certainly save you the hassle if it happens in the future, as well.
    Especially considering the sheer volume of work.
    Yeah, I already self-host my main comic, thank you. I have my own webspace.

The whole point of posting some of the comics on an art site was to capitalize on the important thing to me, and that's community. Because when you self-host, in order to get non-spam feedback it tends to require registration, and people don't like registering for multiple sites (as we see here).

Incidentally I do mirror a lot of my art on my own webspace. But you know, the whole community/networking aspect is pretty big and all.

rbartrop—you are so, so right. And in so many ways to boot.
    On FA and SoFurry: sethtriggs

Quote Originally Posted by Blitza View Post
    Hi Guys

First sorry for my broken English but i try my best to write it "nearly" Clear what i mean.
    I have one big Point what would be awesome if this would happen, since i really like Weasyl and its layout and the People there.

How can we make Weasyl the main Part of the furry Comunity instead of FA ??
    FA having an Admin what isnt trusted By anyone but have tonns of Artists and Watchers and Weasyl what haves an competend Admin Team and Mods have not even half of the traffic like FA.

So how we could help Weasyl to grow that the Artists, Comissioners, Fans and Furrys dont must stay at an site with an Incompetend Admin like Neer.
    I know alot popular Artist who think like that but dont want talk open since they fear if they would say something like that Neer would Ban them and then they have pretty much lose there income...

Again sorry for my broken English and i hope People will calm talk about it without any fight.

Greetings Blitza
    Honestly I don't *want* weasyl to be labelled as a "furry site". To my knowledge it was never supposed to be. I'd rather it not have that stigma attached to it as a website. It just happens to have a mostly furry user base because a good portion of advertising was aimed at the furry community. You make it official that it's a "furry site" and you lose out on a lot of potential members and activity on stigma alone.

And adding a hardy "here here" to resolving the square thumbnail fiasco.
    Last edited by Selkiegal; 04-10-2015 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Selkiegal View Post
    Honestly I don't *want* weasyl to be labelled as a "furry site". To my knowledge it was never supposed to be. I'd rather it not have that stigma attached to it as a website. It just happens to have a mostly furry user base because a good portion of advertising was aimed at the furry community. You make it official that it's a "furry site" and you lose out on a lot of potential members and activity on stigma alone.
    Non-furry here. I thought I'd join the forum and chime in because it seems like I'm the type of person that a part of the community wants to attract. Also I recognized a couple friendly faces here, so hello again. I'm saying all of this from an outsider's perspective, so please correct me if I've made some wrong assumptions. I'm a lot of things but a furry historian is not one of them.

From what I can tell, part of the community wants Weasyl to be more inclusive because they want to battle the furry stigma, or to at least become more accepted as legitimate illustrators by people outside the fandom despite the stigma. I know that a lot of furries want to do something about the furry stigma because of the image that is projected onto them as artists for having the gall to draw a cartoon animal. I think sometimes people forget that the furry stigma affects non-furries as well. It affects the type of projects we feel like we can produce, it affects what goes into our stories, and holy crap has it affected how our characters are designed.

Another part of the community wants Weasyl to become the next Fur Affinity because it will yield more commission work. Weasyl has already established itself as an adult/erotic-friendly site, which has been brought up in this thread as a positive for artists posting here. I'm not sure what percentage of a professional furry artist's income comes from adult/erotic art, but I'm guessing it's significant. It would explain the backlashes over sites not allowing adult/erotic content.

Professional furry artists are at the helm of the fandom. Maybe GreenReaper or others can provide some insight into this, but my understanding is that the early years of the furry fandom were comprised mostly of artists, as opposed to other fandoms like science fiction and fantasy that were comprised mostly of fans. This might explain why so much of what is generally considered fandom activities naturally or by design lead to commissioned work.

Because artists' livelihoods are at stake, what they want carries a lot more weight than what fans want. Do furry artists want more sites like Weasyl to post their adult/erotic work? Do furry artists want to compete in the same space as generalist artists?

I think it's probably more accurate to say that science fiction has been traditionally driven more by writers. As far as art goes, the emphasis tend to be on illustrating the works of authors. Furry is more art oriented, but I think it also differs from most fandoms in that there is more emphasis on creating rather than simply consuming. Furries do buy a lot of art, but most of it seems to be hiring artists to help bring teir our creations to life. If furry has a single redeeming quality, this is it.

Persoanlly, I think the adult side of furry is already thoroughly covered. If there's anything I'd like to see in a furry site, it would be something more like Yerf or Artspots used to be. A site that emphasizes clean, quality anthro art that you can show people outside the fandom without too much emberassment. Something that shows the best face of furry.

Weasyl
    Therion
    I rather like the site being a general site. I joined thinking it was a general site. I loved that it was furry friendly because I do love the art they produce. There was a good flow of general art as well. Both mixing together in a harmony. When I was scooping FA for a new location I really didn't see other art types. The moment you walk in you kind of feel pressured not to post other types. Its a very clear fandom in what represents it. Yes weasyl has a large base of furry but I never had the same pressure here. I can post anything I could want without it having it fit into a nich. I know a lot love art outside the fandom but if your on the other side of the coin. Your very socially pressured to try to fit in if you join. I don't know a good example to explain the feelings.

I very much support the general arts. Focusing or banking all your chips into one pot. I love the fact they don't here. They welcome artists as artists. Not by what grouping or type of work they do. I know many don't wish to exclude a grouping but when you label it as another. You kind of alienated the ones who aren't in that grouping. Even if its nots intended to do so, you can make people feel excluded or feel less then important. I think it would prevent many joining. Its like a star wars club and suddenly a group of harry potter fans walk in. Eventually there's going to be confrontation or even exclusion. Look at DA, it accepts just about every art type you can find. Except r rated. Its a healthy mish mash of everyone and they market it to everyone. Why can't weasyl market to everyone as well. Maybe instead of thinking its a replacement to FA that its become its own. With its own ideas and views on things.

I joined because it reflected my ideals and the management is good. I spent a lot of time reading the wrong doings of other art sites. This being a young site I hope that it keeps going forward in a better direction then all of them. I feel general is the right way to gear it. Then every Artist can join. All is much larger then specifics. If done right it can grow massively. So I hold a bit of hope for that.

Though I do agree on the concepts that Weasyl might need something to stand out from others. Make itself something people can't say no too. Though that is still a work in progress and being young and smaller I can forgive that. ^^

Weasyl
    foussiremix
    I dont think that we need a forum as mainpart.
    The community is the main.
    Forums are to communicate with others and bla bla.
    Roses are red
    Tomatoes are red.
    My hair got cutten
    and i feel so good

http://orig02.deviantart.net/12a5/f/...ix-d8m2gs6.gif

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #99
    Weasyl
    armaina
    Quote Originally Posted by Metsys View Post
    ... my understanding is that the early years of the furry fandom were comprised mostly of artists, as opposed to other fandoms like science fiction and fantasy that were comprised mostly of fans. This might explain why so much of what is generally considered fandom activities naturally or by design lead to commissioned work.

Because artists' livelihoods are at stake, what they want carries a lot more weight than what fans want. Do furry artists want more sites like Weasyl to post their adult/erotic work? Do furry artists want to compete in the same space as generalist artists?
    I'm not a furry so I don't know what 'furries want' exactly but I know what I want as an artist. But, yes, the furry fandom is pretty much the only 'self generating' fandom, as opposed to fandoms being unified and driven by main specific chunks of media. That's what makes it all so difficult.

I know as an artist, I want more sites that are artist oriented, giving us the tools to best showcase our mediums as well as abilities to find, collaborate or communicate with other artists. The problem is, having an artist focused site does not lend well to accommodating non-artists, and I think this just needs to be accepted. If we want to make the site more open to non-artists while also being artist focused, we need to figure out unique tools that give them a reason to interact with our site for arts sake. This is a marriage of functionality I have yet to see be done well on any art site. And honestly I think any artist, furry or not, would like something that provides that kind of connection.
    Last edited by armaina; 04-14-2015 at 12:25 PM.

I don't think it would be too difficult to figure out how to have a site with features for both artists and non-artists. The problem is building features for both audiences. It's double the work, which is why I think it hasn't been done, but I don't see these two feature sets as being mutually exclusive. Some would overlap, for example art searching tools that a non-artist can find new artists they like, and for artists to find like-minded artists to collaborate with or learn from.

I imagine DeviantArt would be an example of a site that works well for non-artists. Art is searchable by category and popular (assumed to be better) art floats to the top. If you find an artist you like you can see who they like, which gives you the best and fastest method for finding new artwork you'll enjoy.

I suppose a site like CG Society would be an example of a site geared towards artists. Most sites like that and ConceptArt.org are giant forums with a tacked-on online training program. Forums like that, especially CA.org, can be intimidating even for an artist. The signal to noise ratio in CA.org's sketch and WIP threads were too much for the little time I had.

In the past everything I've thought about and worked on have been online training systems and ideas for advanced tools (tools that up until recently couldn't work in a web browser without Java) to create a site that would be very beneficial for artists. Aside from a training program and having some social networking tools to make contacts and keep in contact with them, what would facilitate a site that is best serves artists?
    Last edited by Metsys; 04-14-2015 at 09:05 PM.