Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Who says that? Just because someone is a fury it doesn't mean they can't make and appreciate other forms of art.

We are not a separate race, we don't have some Secret Furry Law that dictates that we mustn't enjoy art in general.

I think a furry art site that does such thing has a serious case of "stick up the arse". And I don't think Weasyl would do that.
    Personally, I don't have a problem with it, if people want to run a site with a tighter focus. There are plenty of sites that cater to specialized interests, and that's just fine. There's no law that says you have to pick just one.

Look, I'm member of the Furry community, I draw anthro, even 18+ and in the same time I'm into photography, literature and classical arts. Actually, I just uploaded a portrait of a human recently, which sits besides my anthro pics.
    I've been drawing the fuzzies for a good long time, but I like drawing other stuff too. My Weasyl gallery is furry heavy at the moment, mostly because that's what people have been commissioning me to do.

Weasyl
    akitary
    @Fiz (am I the only one who's ticked by your forum banners not being in spectrum order?)

Weasyl
    Storm
    What you guys forget is that Furry, first of all is a community rather than an art style or subject - and while furry art is obviously the primary interest, the furry community doesn't solely focus on that.

We have furry photographers (ex.: http://jason-young.deviantart.com/gallery/ ), furry cooks (ex.: https://www.weasyl.com/submissions/k...?folderid=2224 ) furry musicians (ex.: https://www.weasyl.com/submissions/foxamoore ), singers (ex.: https://www.weasyl.com/~colson ) and so on.

To emphasis more what I'm trying to say: most furry sites are furry art community sites rather than anthro artwork sites. Even though anthro art is one of the pillars of the furry community, it isn't the sole focus.
    - Storm ~ "Sic itur ad astra per aspera." [Commission info]

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #44

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Quote Originally Posted by akitary View Post
    @Fiz (am I the only one who's ticked by your forum banners not being in spectrum order?)
    Yea it agitates me too

Yes, some people maintain that furry is a community. Some claim it's a fetish. However, Wedasyl is an art community, and as others have rightly pointed out, art communities are about art, so none of that is really relevant.

Weasyl
    Bornes
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Voicing your concern in an arrogant, scolding manner compared to a constructive and helpful one isn't helping either.

Even if you are right in something, this is not the way to deliver it.

- - - Updated - - -

In the meanwhile I managed to find more info and I posted a new reply based on that, see: https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/...ll=1#post80093

But still thank you for your reply! I genuinely had no clue until yesterday.

But in the end, consider this:
    - The vast majority of Weasyl users are furries
    - The vast majority of art is fury/anthro

So talking about strengthening Weasyl as a general art site because furry gets too strong is like telling Lamborghini that it must focus on strengthening their agricultural vehicle line because their sport cars are getting too strong.*

Thing sometimes change directions. Should Weasyl really try to swim against the current instead of riding it?

Weasyl became a furry art site **, like it or not, so the question is, what makes more sense: pissing against the wind and trying to turn it back into a general site (where it doesn't hold much ground against deviantArt anyway), or taking this never-returning opportunity to become the new Number 1 furry art site and ride to glory?

* Lamborghini started out building tractors.
    ** As in content and suer wise, this still doesn't mean you couldn't upload general art.
    Did you even read what I wrote?

I have no problem with Weasyl being a furry art site. I said the problem with Weasyl is that Weasyl, the site itself, cannot decide on what it wants to be. And until it decides that, it cannot be as successful as if it figured out its own identity crisis. (this goes more to my first post in this thread rather than my one where I linked you proof of Weasyl's stance).

Weasyl needs to make a decision as to what its audience is, and then MAKE MOVES TO FOLLOW THAT DIRECTION.

So if it's a furry site, then it can either carry on as is or increase advertising to furries. But if it's a general art site, WHICH IT CLAIMS TO BE, it needs to ADVERTISE TO MORE THAN JUST FURRIES.

So really, your example would be more accurate if Lamborghini kept telling everyone it was really still a tractor company, even though it was ONLY producing luxury cars.

Is it really so ridiculous that the public (me) would then say "Hey, maybe a TRACTOR company should produce more Tractors?"? I don't think so. But that's how this looks to me. I'm trying to tell Lamborghini, who claims itself a tractor company, would be a much better tractor company if it produced more tractors. And you're trying to tell me that's futile, because Lamborghini is clearly not a tractor company anymore.

Well I'd agree with you-- Lamborghini isn't a tractor company. BUT IT SAYS IT IS, so unless Lamborghini changes its stance on what kind of company it is, maybe it should produce some god damn tractors every once in a while.

*I'm not mad at you.
    Last edited by Bornes; 04-01-2015 at 03:26 PM.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    As long as Weasyl continue to say "We're actually a general art site", a user can't really say anything against it until they completely give up.

My question is this:

Who cares?

What does it matter whether Weasyl is a Furry site, or a General site that just happens to have lots of furry stuff? Why make the distinction? If people want to post non-furry stuff, they can. If they want to post furry stuff, they can. Why bother arguing about whether or not it's a furry site? What benefit do we gain by attaching that, or any, label?

If the fandom decides to revolve around Weasyl like they did FA, great! Doesn't have to be a furry site for us to do that. Will it help? Honestly, probably not. People are going to go wherever they go.

Weasyl
    GreenReaper
    What I said about focus last year still largely applies, despite concrete progress on the technical front. It's basically what Bornes is saying now: if Weasyl keeps trying to present itself as all things to all people - e.g. "fur-friendly", not "furry" - it's putting itself at a severe disadvantage, because you cannot effectively market a site to appeal to such a broad customer base without resources which you do not have.

Let's be frank: Weasyl is a furry site, in that its core audience is the furry community, and has been for years. Unless you want to make sweeping changes to rectify this (a-la SheezyArt, y!Gallery), you need to own it. This doesn't mean reserving the site for "furry art" - you might target all media of interest to furries, or certain art forms - but you can't make that kind of decision until you accept that you have a core audience.

It's Marketing 101: only once you have a razor-sharp focus on your audience can you develop the right site, with the right features, and go out to sell it to the right people. [From a development perspective, it's fine to work on features which can help many different sites, but that doesn't mean that this site can succeed by targeting a non-specific creative audience.]

If you fail to do this, you'll spend developer time on features which don't matter to your core audience, in the hope that they'll appeal to a wider community. You'll hesitate to sell your site to your core audience, out of a fear of alienating those you wish had joined; or you'll waste time trying to attract people whose work isn't likely to be appreciated enough for them to stick around. You'll get people who are in your core saying, in effect "this site isn't for me; it isn't willing to commit". Sooner or later, you may become frustrated at not achieving your stated goal and burn out, despite having created a site that ~10,000 people choose to visit every day.

For those hoping for Weasyl to become "the main furry social art site": it may, but take care what you wish for. There are good reasons to aim elsewhere. Furry is fragmenting as it grows; there will be be more than one big furry site for the foreseeable future, each best in different areas. This is a healthy situation - as annoying as it may be for artists wanting to have everyone under one roof - since it's an opportunity to specialize, and hence better-serve particular markets within the furry community, while avoiding the risks of centralization.
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 04-01-2015 at 08:03 PM.

Weasyl
    Bornes
    THANK YOU

I guess I'm no good at proper communication. But you said exactly what I have been trying to say.