Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Rowedahelicon
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrockangel View Post
    Honestly, as someone who's not much of a furry, I'd rather this site be kept diverse as was intended when it was started, instead of becoming too furry-centric. Not because I have anything against the furry-fandom, but because I like seeing some diversity in the submissions.
    It's not that the goal is to be furry exclusive, it's that some general popularity needs to hit the site.

The fur-fandom is having some troubles right now, and some of us from it are trying to get people to reconsider our "home site" and use Weasyl instead.

More activity here benefits everyone though, not just us furs. It helps any artist have more of a chance to get more views on their art! This can be done without making things "furry", in fact a lot of the ideas proposed here including my own fit the theme of the site rather than targeting a specific fandom point.

Weasyl
    Bornes
    Weasyl should work on SEO and advertising to attract users. It also needs to figure out if it wants to be a general art site or a furry site. I brought this up before and they said it was meant as a general art site.. But it's only really advertised in furry communities, so this is kind of misleading.

Regardless, SEO definitely needs some help. Type in "Furry art" and you can get tumblr, FA, VCL and sofurry. Weasyl should be there.
    Type in "Furry art gallery" and get some different things, none of which are Weasyl. Maybe Weasyl should add itself on alternativeto.net under DA, FA, etc. It's not under DA and Inkbunny is under FA so what gives?

Maybe I'm just an old fogey but I loved SheezyArt. SA was a general art site that happened to have a furry mascot and a weird name. They made it work somehow (in terms of advertising and getting users). Why can't Weasyl do the same? And hopefully Weasyl won't suffer the same demise SA did.
    Last edited by Bornes; 03-30-2015 at 08:42 PM.

Weasyl
    Sci
    No website is the single hub of the furry community, and if it were possible to be it would be incredibly dangerous to do so. As it is, the existing level of centralisation held by FurAffinity leads to most of the problems with it. Lack of competition leads to stagnation, as well as massive disruption when that single service goes down.
    FA is the largest marketplace and A community, albeit a rather dysfunctional one. Weasyl is currently more of a community than a marketplace. Getting serious (goal driven) users and content producers onto Weasyl means improving it as a marketplace.

I'm going to doff my "greymuzzle" hat for a momment and say the furry community has a long history of flooding sites and services. Suddenly noticing something then populating it to the exclusion of all other content. If they hang around the place it will eventually become all but furry-exclusive as furry interests swamp everything else out for other users. If they don't then the sites can have a very hard time adapting to their legacy (behaviour they weren't staffed to deal with, abandoned accounts, content and projects).

Marketing Weasyl to furries is more or less a gauranteed audience, but dangerous in that it may exclude all other audiences. They have typically not played well with others.

With the recently expidited exodus from FA, Weasyl's active furry userbase has grown yet again. If anything the fact that some people are so embedded on FA is the only thing stopping a full fandom invasion of this site, which would perminantly exclude all other content.
    Really Weasyl should be trying to appeal to other creative fandoms at this point. It's been good to see artists I've only known for furry content able to display their other works here alongside it, which is at least a partial hook for non-furry artists.

Weasyl
    akitary
    I honestly don't mind if non-furries are along here. Although right off there would be a confusion - would my watchers still follow me if I brought my fantasy/human art over here, or would they abandon me?
    Or would I have to lead two separate Weasyl accounts? One for furries, one for my other "generic" art?

FA is not suitable for our needs - but we need a place to go. So as one such furry being part of this 'flood', while I understand your concerns, I don't really see another place to go other than Weasyl - I feel cornered, and this is the only place I can feel safe right now.

Also, many furries does recognize Weasyl as a furry art site already, it just how it was introduced.

Mostly, because:
    Serious development on Weasyl (then known as the Fergal Project) began in early September 2011, with the intention of it being a simple gallery site exclusive to the furry art community; however, as development progressed and new features were added, the scope of the project expanded beyond its original intentions.
    source: http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Weasyl
    (yeah, just it being listed on the Furry wiki also adds to the impression it was made for us)

And while one center hub is dangerous, yes, but communities will usually tend to be drawn towards one, the biggest, since it will offer the most activity, audience or opportunities.

Weasyl
    Storm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci View Post
    Marketing Weasyl to furries is more or less a gauranteed audience, but dangerous in that it may exclude all other audiences.
    As I've said in your thread as well, I believe Weasyl was always meant to be a furry community site, so of course it's marketed to furries.

I've never ever heard anyone referring to Weasyl as a generic art site, and I'm really surprised that you do so.

I don't mean to sound aggressive, but do you have any evidence to back that claim? Because if such thing exists I would genuinely like to know about it, and read it.

The only thing I personally can remember is Weasyl saying that you can upload general art too - but that simply means, that they won't disallow non-furry submissions as some other furry art sites do, and that by no means implies that Weasyl is not a furry site in the first place.Yes, a very tiny amount of non-furry artists are here too but that's still marginal, and I very rarely see non-anthro art.

I'm absoultely OK with general art, and I don't mind non-furry artists being here (I also make and enjoy general art, and I started as general artist before I started to do anthro), but that won't change the fact that Weasyl is a furry site in the first place.

If I miss something, feel free to prove me wrong!
    Last edited by Storm; 03-31-2015 at 09:56 AM.
    - Storm ~ "Sic itur ad astra per aspera." [Commission info]

Weasyl
    Noxid
    I guess personally I really don't have much to add to that other than the thread I linked previously about the disparity between the stated "general art site" goal and the current state of affairs

I'll be honest, when I was introduced to the site I got the impression that it was "for furries" and it was a while before I discovered otherwise, but there are regular artists out there. They just get buried under all the fuzz.

Weasyl
    Storm
    OK, so I was told that being general art site was indeed in the mission statement in the past. Alright.

But then, let's look at Weasyl today, what is that you see? What I see is that it's primarily used by furries, for furry related art, the admins and mods and staff I know are all furries or at least have an anthro avatar, and so on.

So the question is: Now that Weasyl technically became a furry site, despite whatever original intentions the founders had, does it make sense to fight windmills?

In one hand Weasyl can be both actually, I don't see why furry and general art couldn't fit with each other in peace - especially since many furry artists are also into general art, myself included - but in the other hand, if wqe insist that Weasyl first and foremost is a COMMUNITY then I believe the only wise choice is to adapt to the direction the community wants to take.

Right now what I see is that the community is predominantly furries, and so I think it would be natural for Weasyl's focus to be placed on that part.

But once again, I still believe that furries and others could live together in peace.

If I would have to give Weasyl a description based on what I see today, it would be like this:
    Alternative art site with a focus on anthro, furry, animal and fantasy art.

I'm yet to see any art on Weasyl that does not fall into one of those categories I listed. Even all the strictly non-furry-related pieces I saw would fall under fantasy or animal.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Weasyl goal of going "General" was pretty much killed when they knew it was easier to appeal to furries.

And about the "Lack of view" complaints, we have to admit that the current state of the site has even worse exposure than that of FA. Over 60% on the front page is wasted and the search is still very lacking. (Can't search author name or piece name unless they also put that in the tag). With such a limited front page slot and people posting a bunch of random "lelele funny me in a suit taking 10 pictures of the same thing" pushing you down, the site discourages you more than it helps.

Weasyl can be whatever but being gone for half a year and seeing nothing really changes, Weasyl needs to step up the game as an Art Showcasing and sharing site if it wants to attract anyone.

Weasyl
    Storm
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    Can't search author name or piece name unless they also put that in the tag
    If you found an issue why don't you post it under https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/...-Forum-Support so the devs can fix it?

being gone for half a year and seeing nothing really changes
    Excuse me, but just in the last half years LOTS of things changed, several bugs were fixed, several new features were added and so on.

If you think something on Weasyl is not well implemented, then help making it better by submitting issues and suggestions. So far I've seen quote a few that were posted here be implemented and many bugs posted under support fixed.

The devs are doing this in their free time, and they have insane amount of work so we can all help them to make their effort more effective!

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #20

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    (Can't search author name or piece name unless they also put that in the tag)
    You can search username:

https://www.weasyl.com/help/searching

So if I wanted to find something from you in the search, I'd include "user:zeitzbach".

Submission name isn't included in search though iirc.