Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Collections question/suggestion

So from what I can see in the Help Topics, Collections have to be /extended/ to a user by the initial artist to ensure that the artist receives full credit. Perhaps a better way to do this would be ot allow users to upload /themselves/ to a Collections section? I only say this because some artists might forget to send the Collections offer, and there's lots of artists not on Weasyl right now. Perhaps a field /must/ be filled in if it's to be submitted under collections with the artist's name and/or a link to their page. I don't know. I've already noticed people uploading art that they themselves haven't created to their gallery, rather than Collections. Just food for thought :O

Wait, really? We have wait for them to give the collections notice? We can't just go to the submission and click 'add to collections' like favorites? That's ridiculous.

I'd also like to be able to upload stuff by myself, because I want to move everything over from FA, and most of the commissioned artists aren't on Weasyl yet, or won't be. I am not going to search on here for my hundreds of my watched artists so i can search through thier gallery to find all my commissioned art.

The collections may work well for future commissions posted here, but not for past commissions.

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #3

Weasyl
    Fayv
    We're still fixing up the collections feature, so thanks for the suggestion.

Just to clear up some confusion, if the work was commissioned for you, you can post it. We're asking users to find their favorite artists on here and request a collections offer from the artist to cut down on duplicate submissions. However if your artist isn't here, and isn't ever going to be on the site, then don't feel like you can't post as long as it was made by you or for you.

OHHHH. Gotcha. That makes more sense.

I don't know what your schema looks like, but you could conceivably de-dupe on uploads by maintaining a table with a hash of the file as the primary key and just have multiple references, assuming the file has been uploaded unaltered.

I have another question about Collections: what happens when the original artist decides they're going to purge their gallery (as we've seen happen on numerous occasions on FA) and the piece that they delete happens to be a member of a Collection? Do Collections behave like hard links where the image in question doesn't vanish until the last pointer to it is removed, or will a person's Collection be filled with "Image removed" links, or will the image simply silently vanish from the Collection?

Weasyl
    Luketh
    The hash tags may be a friendlier way of handling the duplicate uploads, along with maybe an optional "source" field that points to the artist and the original file.

See personally, I am solely a commissioner, I don't create anything myself. I love what I've seen of Weasyl's commission options, but with the restrictions of collections, I can't see myself really hanging around too much, as great a site as it might be. Which in turn could actually keep artists themselves away if they're after paid work.

I feel it also needs to be pointed out that commissioners are paying for commissioned works, and hence should be able to display them with a little more freedom. All credit to the deserving artists of course, I just feel there needs to be a happier balance.

Just my two bobs.

Great looking work so far though, certainly keen to give it a go if I get an invite or when it opens.
    Last edited by Luketh; 10-12-2012 at 11:30 PM.

Weasyl
    Roki
    I agree with the ability to tag a creator vs. just sharing as a collection, this could also work for collaborations by allowing tagging collaborators. It should just be an extra field to enter either a Weasyl username or a url to the creator/collaborator's page. Add in two checkboxes: "I collaborated on this piece with this person" and "This piece was commissioned from this person." Then have the option to add additional collaborators for submissions that are done by multiple people.

Weasyl
    Temrin
    I agree with the idea of the client being able to add the piece to their collection. Because yes, an artist might forget. Mind you it shouldnt take too much just to note/comment on it asking for one if you are the client. >. > But i do understand what people are saying.

The idea of adding Artists/Character tags, kind of like what e621 does is an interesting concept. But then, i still like the concept of collections but think they need a front page view, not a seperate page. Due to one of the reasons above being the person doesnt do any art themselves. So there should be an option to have the collections on their front page alongside the main gallery, or an option to hide the main gallery, etc.

I've said this in another suggestions thread, making account titles such as "Artist" "Musician" "Writer" "Watcher/Follower/Fan" "Commissioner/Client" it could change how the profile page works, easily allowing the user to ignore having to disable or enable things on their page such as the commission status bar. Some sort of Guest Art gallery would be nice, instead of reverting to collections when an artist isn't present on the site and the main gallery can be reserved for work made by you and/or with others.

Or maybe instead of sending a message or a shout or a comment, have a little button that sends a request to add it to the collection that the artist just has to approve?