Weasyl
    Avisk

Unable to Modify Character Thumbnails

Last edited by Avisk; 03-27-2015 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Marked as resolved. Thanks!

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Weasyl
    lagos
    Hello, Avisk. Thanks for the report. I'm debugging this and I can recreate the general issue; at first blush it's looking like overzealous jpeg conversion. I will look into it. Can you elaborate on this part, though:

I created my own thumbnails, 120px transparent .pngs (and even .jpegs, as an afterthought), and attempted to upload them to replace the ones generated by Weasyl. The preview images for the uploaded thumbnails display correctly while in the process of changing them, but it seems I am unable to swap them out regardless!
    This is the part I'm not able to reproduce: I can upload and replace the thumbnails. There's still the jpeg conversion issue, but things do get changed, at least after a refresh. Can you tell me the set of steps you're doing and what you expect to see?

Weasyl
    Avisk
    Last edited by Avisk; 03-23-2015 at 12:30 AM.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    Weasyl
    lagos
    Thank you, Avisk. That's very comprehensive and a very helpful bug report. Here's some of what's going on:

1. weasyl is currently making thumbnails for characters always jpegs. Even if you upload one in .png or .gif format, it'll get converted to jpg. If you right click on the offending thumbnail and open the image in a new tab, you'll see that the url is for a jpg file.
    2. When you uploaded the new .png thumbnails, notice that while they have weird artifacts, they're DIFFERENT weird artifacts than before. Like you say, instead of black backgrounds it's more modern art. weasyl has converted your new thumbnails to jpegs.
    3. Uploading .jpeg thumbnails should work normally.
    4. There's some caching which made the update of Rukiev lag a bit. I'll look into that later as I can't reproduce it locally.

I've written a fix for the jpeg issue, after which thumbnails for characters should behave like thumbnails for submissions; it probably won't make it into the current rollout of site updates, but we'll try to get it into the next one since this is affecting lots of character submissions. When that happens, it won't retroactively correct old thumbnails, but you should be able to create new ones correctly.

The caspian issue is an odd one. If you click on 'Edit Character Thumbnail' on Caspian's page and just click 'Continue' instead of uploading something new, does it reset to a weasyl-generated one (possibly after a refresh)?

Tell me if there are further issues or questions. Otherwise, I'll try to contact you when the fix to character thumbnails is out.

- - - Updated - - -

And an imperfect work around in the meantime is to use jpeg thumbnails.
    Last edited by Lagos; 03-31-2015 at 05:40 AM.

Weasyl
    Avisk

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
    Weasyl
    lagos
    I'm pretty sure it's a caching issue; at least things appear to have changed since your posted screenshot? The jpeg corruption makes sense, but I'd be suspicious of anything where weasyl doesn't update the thumbnail in the characters list right now: It may take ten minutes or so. I think I see a fix for that, but no eta.

Weasyl
    Avisk
    Hey, Lagos!

I see some of the thumbnails have updated now also, so I attempted to upload .jpeg thumbnails for "Saprosia" and "Rukiev" earlier. It's been over an hour and the cache still hasn't updated to reflect the proposed changes, but I understand that you are investigating the issue now, so I am content with waiting.

Thank you for your help!

— Avisk

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

EDIT: Looks like the thumbnails finally updated at some point. Time to never touch them again, haha.
    Last edited by Avisk; 03-23-2015 at 11:01 AM.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8
    Hello!

Just wanted to let you know that the fix for this issue has just gone live! You should be able to edit thumbnails again. If you have any further problems, please let us know, and thanks again for the report!

- Ikani

9.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #9
    Weasyl
    lagos
    As a follow-up to that, we've also tweaked our infrastructure caching policies around thumbnails. When you update your thumbnails, tell me if the changes are visible right away. Thanks for the testing, Avisk.

Weasyl
    Avisk
    Hey guys!

Ran a few tests with .png and .jpeg thumbnails and it looks like everything is working beautifully! They don't appear to have any issues with compression, artifacts or caching (and I am super excited for transparent backgrounds again. YES.) Thank you for your help!

— Avisk