Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Weasyl
    Zalcoti
    Or you guys should have been slowly updating this whole time. Waxpost is the best we got and probably will be for a while. Google Chrome can be used temporarily (really you should Firefox and Chrome installed just in case one goes to crap) and be left alone until it's needed again. If there are thousands upon thousands of images then pick the best ones and go from there. Got a whole comic series? Why not use a free webcomic service and link from there. It will also be automatically easier to navigate.

And why a "furry art tool"? Why not just a "general art tool"? From what I see any artist can use it so why give it a bad reputation right off the bat. I think everyone is also forgetting Nabyn.net, another place where artists can post art yet I don't think they have a migration tool.

Weasyl
    akitary
    one a side-note: I picked mostly my best images to be uploaded on Weasyl. and I keep getting requests from past commissionert to upload all theirs too.

And I ended up uploading almost all of my later works, one by one :') and I'm not a very patient person.

Maybe just an ftp uploader would be nice, or any kind of batch upload system?

(P.S. @Zalcoti: your signature gif is awesome x3 )
    Last edited by akitary; 03-26-2015 at 09:30 PM.

I've seen lots of interest in a batch upload system, so I'm rewriting the one I used for Fox's comic to be a bit more general use.

Weasyl
    Feyala
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    But actually, I want more... something I had in mind for a while, something I wanted to implement in PHP as a webapp, but I never had the time: A specific "furry art tool" where you set your image, description text and other options and it automatically posts to every site you want. It would take your data and description and use separate templates for each site (BB code for FA, HTML for Weasyl and deviantArt, etc) it would populate.

The reason for this is that what takes ridiculous amount of time and drives me crazy is filling the SAME friggin info over and over again just with different formatting and tiny changes.

I will come around coding this sometime but right now I need to do something about paying the bills that are piling up on my cupboard...
    This drives me nuts too! There was a project called Art Gallery Manager, written in Python, by Kitashi, but he appears to be porting it to another language and development is slow.

Sites like FA and DA don't have an API suitable for posting, so development of third party tools often relies on scraping html, which can break every time the site is updated :/

Weasyl
    Uluri
    The only problem I can see with this is when artists are mass uploading 20-50 images at a time,
    the "New" feed would be covered with their art and only there art for pages at a time.
    I really don't enjoy art sites that Allow Mass Uploading for that reason. It's Spammy.

Not to mention the downside of having only that time frame of people looking
    at your art, and then it be washed down the "New" feed. Less eyes (Potential watchers/commissioners)
    would be seeing your art as you upload it. This site doesn't have the best search system,
    so uploading everything all at once won't gather many watchers to your page
    after they've been washed down the "New Feed".

Moving from one art site to another can be a pain in the butt, but
    once your moved in, everything is all nice and cozy. I, too, have had
    hundreds of artworks on FA when I moved to here. I just picked out
    my best ones, and most recent ones, and uploaded those over time.
    It wasn't that bad.

That's one reason I have a configurable time between submissions for my program. You'll be able to set from 2 minutes between submissions, to once a day.

Weasyl
    KajTaotsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Socks the Fox View Post
    That's one reason I have a configurable time between submissions for my program. You'll be able to set from 2 minutes between submissions, to once a day.
    This sounds like the plugin that all users need, too many people dont realize that flooding their work in about 5 minutes time wont do anything except update their gallery for the most part. With how the front page works with only showing your 3 most recent posted submissions, everything else gets pushed behind the Browse button (which I for one dont always hit to look because Im lazy lol). Having such a program to delay posts throughout the day would get every piece a Lot of view time for everyone and still get the job done in a timely manner.
    Even after the darkest nights, morning always comes.

Hungry? Check out my gallery for recipes!

Yup :3 that's the main reason I did it (and am limiting it to 2 minutes minimum).

As well, one of my friends is doing a comic, so she can finish a bunch of pages and set the batch spacing to "Daily" and have it upload once a day for her, instead of having to remember to do it herself. I'm going to put in a "start next upload now" button as well, that as long as at least 2 minutes have passed will skip the timer and go, so that if she receives a page sponsorship she can just hit that button and it's done.

Between that and the auto-add-and-maintain-sane-navigation-links feature it'll be a godsend for people running comics on Weasyl.

Weasyl
    KajTaotsu
    I think the only/best way that Weasyl could implement a mass uploader would be to do as you've said, with the delayed times. If people got wind of that, I'd bet loads more would come and try the site
    Even after the darkest nights, morning always comes.

Hungry? Check out my gallery for recipes!

Quote Originally Posted by Uluri View Post
    The only problem I can see with this is when artists are mass uploading 20-50 images at a time,
    the "New" feed would be covered with their art and only there art for pages at a time.
    I really don't enjoy art sites that Allow Mass Uploading for that reason. It's Spammy.

Not to mention the downside of having only that time frame of people looking
    at your art, and then it be washed down the "New" feed. Less eyes (Potential watchers/commissioners)
    would be seeing your art as you upload it. This site doesn't have the best search system,
    so uploading everything all at once won't gather many watchers to your page
    after they've been washed down the "New Feed".

Moving from one art site to another can be a pain in the butt, but
    once your moved in, everything is all nice and cozy. I, too, have had
    hundreds of artworks on FA when I moved to here. I just picked out
    my best ones, and most recent ones, and uploaded those over time.
    It wasn't that bad.
    Making the uploading experience as painless as possible for the artist is good, and yes, my time is valuable, just like everyone else's time is valuable. However, I do think making the viewer's experience often gets lost in these discussions. Ultimately, they're the reason why we're setting up shop here. You want people not just to be aware of your art, but you want the experience to be as pleasant as possible. We are in the feeling business as we are in the picture making business, and the better they feel about looking at your work, the more likely they are to follow you, and maybe even buy from you. The last thing you want is for them to be thinking, "Oh hell, who is this idiot filling up the front page?".
    So yes, your time is valuable, but is it so valuable that you can afford to turn away business?