Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    irick

Lowing the Switching Cost to Weasyl

I am very dearly determined to switch away from Furaffinity to Weasyl for several factors that are ideological. I am an exceptionally ideologically driven person, but the opportunity cost for switching to weasyl is very real. Social networks in general tend to have this sort of issue, and it is a daunting task to start from ground zero and rebuild that database. There are tools available for submitting artwork to the site, but very few tools that ease the migration from a networking perspective.

I see the primary challenge on Weasyl as a user as being art and artist discovery. While the search term system is rather flexible, that flexibility unfortunately means that passive categorical browsing is not possible in order to create a starting core of artists by which to network and discover. I feel that, as part of a transitory experience, having some sort of guide to a core set of artists for given topics and styles may lower the perceived cost of building a good starting point (especially migrating from a service that has the benefit of many years of my interactions to draw on). To this end I would propose some sort of community publicity drive. Either via poll or informed panel of experts, to bring exemplary artists to a more discoverable point for newcomers.

Whichever means is used to create them, I feel that providing something akin to starter packages for newcomers would make it easier for them to switch from services where they have already cultivated such libraries. It is a far less daunting task to tweak than it is to build from scratch.

Idealy, Weasyl would have some method by which it could make use of the publicly viewable FA information to 'migrate' watch lists. I'm certain that artists would enjoy the easier carrying over of their fanbase and it would further eliminate a switching barrier. Of course, the feasibility of this is questionable.

In any case, I feel that it is important to take these sort of steps to make it easier to transition to Weasly, both genetically (e.g. discoverability) and specifically (e.g. transferring FA watchlists). I'd love to hear what sort of tools would make it easier to jump from those still stuck between sites and maybe advice form those who have successfully switched.
    We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
    -- Carl Sagan

I'm on furnet IRC! Please drop by irc.furnet.org's #hackerfurs and say hi.

Weasyl
    Noxid
    well, there was SOFT https://projects.weasyl.com/soft/

but I heard a birdie tell me that this project was going the way of the dodo to make room for a better replacement. No suggestion of how long that may take, however.
    And I'll assume you already know about WaxPost since they push that pretty hard, which is the browser extension to more easily cross-post works from other websites

I honestly do not understand what you are trying to get at in your second/third paragraph there. I have a guess but I'd rather not argue it without knowing what you're actually implying here so if you could explain it a little more plainly that would be appreciated.

If the people here really want to "defeat" that other site with the admin you hate, Weasyl needs to fast-track a multi-file import script (with of course a stepped uploader so it doesn't become a DDoS) similar to SoFurry. Something where you could upload 50 things at a time, with the stipulation that they will not generate notifications to your watchers or flood the front page. Presumably everything else is great here - make it easy for the artists to bring their portfolio over so people can browse it.

Part of the reluctance of artists to stick around Weasyl after an explosion at FA is that it's really time-consuming to bring things over, especially if you have a large, well-established gallery. For example, I have over 3,000 submissions, including a comic that I'd be willing to port over here, but it's too slow of a process to do so.

If you do this, it will reap great dividends for Weasyl and there'll be every reason to use this site.

-Seth
    On FA and SoFurry: sethtriggs

I have to agree with Seth.
    The only real reason I've not moved completely over to this site yet, is because of the lack of bulk upload, the lack of views, and the lack of being able to do sequential uploads, such as comics.

I feel if these were added to Weasyl, then it could greatly make this site far more superior than some of the other sites.

Weasyl
    oly
    Quote Originally Posted by sethtriggs View Post
    If the people here really want to "defeat" that other site with the admin you hate, Weasyl needs to fast-track a multi-file import script (with of course a stepped uploader so it doesn't become a DDoS) similar to SoFurry. Something where you could upload 50 things at a time, with the stipulation that they will not generate notifications to your watchers or flood the front page. Presumably everything else is great here - make it easy for the artists to bring their portfolio over so people can browse it.

Part of the reluctance of artists to stick around Weasyl after an explosion at FA is that it's really time-consuming to bring things over, especially if you have a large, well-established gallery. For example, I have over 3,000 submissions, including a comic that I'd be willing to port over here, but it's too slow of a process to do so.

If you do this, it will reap great dividends for Weasyl and there'll be every reason to use this site.

-Seth
    Definitely agreed.

I wonder if the person who wrote the Waxposter is active in Weasyl. Maybe there could be another mode of that?

After all, a lot of what is missing on Weasyl is the art, if you bring the art over the commissioners will come and that's many of the artists' life blood.

-Seth

Weasyl
    Storm
    This one is also for migrating watchlists: http://kobitate.com/fa-exodus-helper/
    - Storm ~ "Sic itur ad astra per aspera." [Commission info]

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    This one is also for migrating watchlists: http://kobitate.com/fa-exodus-helper/
    Migrating watchlists is fine except the most important thing will be the art. I'll use the watchlist thing anyway and see what happens. But the disaffected developers especially need to make that bulk upload script.

On edit: Never mind, it says my account is not found. Never mind.

Edit #2: I had to make my page public temporarily in order to do this. Okay, it seems to be doing things.

-Seth
    Last edited by sethtriggs; 03-25-2015 at 03:14 PM.

Weasyl
    Storm
    For mass crossposting from FA to here, there is a Chrome addon called Waxpost (sadly won't be available fro Firefox).

But actually, I want more... something I had in mind for a while, something I wanted to implement in PHP as a webapp, but I never had the time: A specific "furry art tool" where you set your image, description text and other options and it automatically posts to every site you want. It would take your data and description and use separate templates for each site (BB code for FA, HTML for Weasyl and deviantArt, etc) it would populate.

The reason for this is that what takes ridiculous amount of time and drives me crazy is filling the SAME friggin info over and over again just with different formatting and tiny changes.

I will come around coding this sometime but right now I need to do something about paying the bills that are piling up on my cupboard...
    - Storm ~ "Sic itur ad astra per aspera." [Commission info]

Yeah I use the Waxposter; it's been what I mainly use to mirror my content. It's just slow.

That's why a bulk uploader would be nice, at least if I want to be able to port my comics over here in a timely manner.