Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #21

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    I want to clarify that I'm not trying to be dismissive here, just pointing out that there's not one simple fix that will make everyone happy. There's pros and cons to every possibility. Many would actually rather have us disallow custom thumbnails entirely, so that isn't a perfect solution either. All these ideas are things that have come into consideration already, as this is a subject that does actually get discussed by staff, which is why I actually know what the widest aspect ratio on Weasyl is offhandedly. But we don't have any details or timeframes to give right now because nothing is set in stone and there's many other things our devteam is working on, particularly efficiency updates as our traffic increases. I know the lack of information can be frustrating, but I assure you that we are striving to make our users happy and we know that doing something with the thumbnail system is one of the biggest demands from our userbase right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    * (As for the concern about it not being mobile-friendly, well, websites optimized separately for mobile since ages, by detecting user agent.)
    I don't want to speak too much for the devteam because I'm a mod, not a dev, but the conversations I've had with devs on the subject were pretty unequivocally against the idea of splitting weasyl into separate web and mobile versions. Tailoring the user experience to specific platforms and usage habits is what we have an open API for.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #22

Weasyl
    Hendikins
    Off-topic personal opinion follows:

* (As for the concern about it not being mobile-friendly, well, websites optimized separately for mobile since ages, by detecting user agent.)
    I'll admit, I winced when I saw that.
    1. You can't determine touch capabilities from the useragent.
    2. Everything else that's wrong with useragent sniffing

With the increasing use of touchscreen laptops/PCs pretty much any useragent can potentially be a touchscreen user. And anything that's onmouseover isn't going to fly for that reason.

Weasyl
    akitary
    Did you know that my HP laptop has a touchscreen option, even tough it's a normal laptop with a huge screen?
    These kind of touchscreen laptops are not rare at all nowadays, and they would not work well with Weasyl in that case

(I saw the staff post before me, I mentioned mine because I live with Storm, and maybe the shocking revelation that even I have such a device might surprise him hehe)
    Last edited by akitary; 03-26-2015 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by akitary View Post
    [...] and don't think of it as a reason to not be on Weasyl, since they already promised it'll be fixed.
    Unfortunately, it is a reason to not be on Weasyl for me (until it is fixed). It might seem like a small issue for you or other people, but I really just can't comfortably browse art on this website as it is today. </3

Weasyl
    Rowedahelicon
    Quote Originally Posted by timoran View Post
    This has been an issue since Weasyl first opened up two and a half years ago... surely a fix doesn't take that long?
    Or are you only just recently admitting that these thumbnails are unpopular?
    A fix for this takes time, they're well aware people want a better icon system. The only issue is that the site's coding needs to be re-adjusted to play nice which is the bulk of everything, then a new thumbnail will need to be made at a later time...for every single picture.

It's getting done, trust me, it's just a big process.

One thing I'd like to point out is that switching over doesn't have to all be done at once. Once the system is set up, just have new uploads use non-square thumbnails and keep the old ones until you've converted them. Swapping out a handful of thumbnails every few seconds, instead of doing them all in one massive batch, should spread out the processing power needed so it doesn't affect page load times (I'd probably do them newest to oldest as well, just because it's more likely to be noticed if it's new->old->new). Alternatively, it could be done offline and switched over once that's done. It's not a critical system, so it should be fine with being a bit of a mixed bag for a little while.

Weasyl
    Storm
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    against the idea of splitting weasyl into separate web and mobile versions.
    I wasn't talking of splitting, I was talking of "responsive design".

Quote Originally Posted by Hendikins View Post
    1. You can't determine touch capabilities from the useragent.
    OK, that's fine but I was thinking about the different size and resolution of devices, not the touch capability. I don't see why something like a touch enabled laptop would have problems with a preview modal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendikins View Post
    2. Everything else that's wrong with useragent sniffing
    Sniffing? Ummm... the user agent is pretty much sent by the browser, nothing needs to be sniffed. If you are on a PC and your browser is set to spoof itself as an iPhone, that's your fault.

And anything that's onmouseover isn't going to fly for that reason.
    I don't have anything touch capable (no, not even my phone) so I can't see why mouseover is bad with touch. Care to explain it to me?

Anyway... the preview is not the real question here since the plugin kinda serves that - except it uses the full resolution image which it scales down (as tehre is no "unropped thumbnail" image to use), so that's not very optimal, but that's another story.

Back on topic:

I suggest to implement a partial solution and then look at the feedback rather than waiting until you can make The Perfect ChoiceTM.

I would proceed in phases:

1. Enable uncropped thumbnail by default for new uploads, with an option to chose to crop custom rectangle instead. Define a maximum allowed aspect, that you think is still aesthetic. For example, 1 : 4.
      • Custom rectangle cannot have a ratio wider/taller than the maximum defined.
      • Submissions wider/taller than defined maximum aspect are auto-cropped to maximum aspect if manual crop not chosen - just like they are auto-cropped to square now.

2. Listen for feedback, and collect statistics on usage of crop tools, choices made, and site usage.
    3. Promt/ask artists to re-crop their existing submissions (or chose uncropped). Proved a button they can press to automatically re-crop (based on rules above) all their existing submissions so they don't have to go through one by one.
    4. Listen to feedback and collect stats again. Adjust allowed maximum and other factors as needed. Make final decision based on feedback.
    Last edited by Storm; 03-31-2015 at 11:08 AM.
    - Storm ~ "Sic itur ad astra per aspera." [Commission info]

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #28

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Our devs' long hours have finally paid off! We trust you are all enjoying our new thumbnails. It's been tough to get everyone's eggs in one basket without breaking some, but we feel like we've laid the golden ones here.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    athdaraxen
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    Our devs' long hours have finally paid off! We trust you are all enjoying our new thumbnails. It's been tough to get everyone's eggs in one basket without breaking some, but we feel like we've laid the golden ones here.
    Best decsion ever. Weasyl really listens! <3

10.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #30

Weasyl
    Hendikins
    I wasn't talking of splitting, I was talking of "responsive design".
    [...]
    OK, that's fine but I was thinking about the different size and resolution of devices, not the touch capability. I don't see why something like a touch enabled laptop would have problems with a preview modal.
    Our layout already adapts to the viewport dimensions. You can try it out yourself by resizing your browser window. And given the widespread availability and use of smartphones and tablets, usability on touch devices is a major consideration that overlaps with but is not specific to mobile devices.

I have one case in point: The iPad. It's a touch only device, but the screen is big enough that you don't want to be using a "mobile" layout with it.

Sniffing? Ummm... the user agent is pretty much sent by the browser, nothing needs to be sniffed. If you are on a PC and your browser is set to spoof itself as an iPhone, that's your fault.
    Generic term for determining what browser is being used. Major problems:
    * It's easily spoofed (as you've mentioned)
    * You can't cater for all possible useragents
    * It's not future-proof - you can't sniff for or know the capabilities of a useragent that doesn't exist at the time of writing

I don't have anything touch capable (no, not even my phone) so I can't see why mouseover is bad with touch. Care to explain it to me?
    A touch-only device such as a tablet or smartphone generally doesn't have a mouse pointer. There's nothing to mouseover with, unless you're say, using Bluetooth or USB-OTG to connect a mouse. Holding and dragging is treated the same as it would be with a mouse, not as mousing over.

Back on topic:

I suggest to implement a partial solution and then look at the feedback rather than waiting until you can make The Perfect ChoiceTM.
    Not a dev, so I'm letting this part go through to the keeper.
    Last edited by Hendikins; 04-01-2015 at 05:13 AM.