Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Gamedog
    What turns me off of the whole thing is that IMVU is just as shady as FA is in this situation. They haven't made any posts on the forum or anywhere on "our" sites answering questions. Dragoneer hasn't answered any questions in the forums and the questions that he did answer in his journal are incredibly vague.
    He needs a PR guy. :/

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    So, they sold themselves to a company where many of my artists friends and myself had to write Cease and Desist orders because of their incompetence at handling intellectual property, to put it simply they often used other people's artwork without permission for their promotions. That really doesn't sit well with a community that worries about their creative property being abused.

I suppose it is only fitting.

Also hello, just won't be on much at all. I just find it disturbing that this was the company he sold it to. IMVU has frequently been a thorn in many creatives sides.
    Last edited by QT Melon; 03-21-2015 at 12:42 AM.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    So, they sold themselves to a company where many of my artists friends and myself had to write Cease and Desist orders because of their incompetence at handling intellectual property
    The area of their site where the art theft was going on actually had to be permanently taken down because it was so rampant.

Weasyl
    Therion
    I feel bad for a lot of the artists but I think its kind of rampant fear taking the reins. I don't think IMVU will harm them. Least not in the beginning. Looking over their site I found they bought tables at Further Confusion 2015. I think their motives are kind of clear.

They want to jump on the fur wagon basically. Though they weren't always a fur friendly site and even use to make effort to remove it. Its just become such a normal thing and has grown so dramatically. Kind of like tattoos and piercings. I'm not surprised they offered to take the site. Its the perfect stepping stone for them to get into the castle. Dragoneer kind of just gave them the key. (Though I won't say more on that fella.) I think they hope more artist will come and create things on their site. Give their users more things while they don't have to spend a dime for the new content avaible. While doing their buisness model of pay this and that. So profit and user benefit. They do have a community of furs and those type of items sell like hot cakes there. They are just following money.

So only theory, I think for awhile they'll fix things up. Keep the artists happy and try to entice more to drift there. I've kind of seen it on virtual pet sites. Its the artists that flock there that give the users more things to buy. And not only buy but give more ways to form emotional bonds with their virtual pets. (Basically hoping you don't leave your now precious pet! Lol ) Kind of like dragon rising custom skins. Their getting skins people designed and they don't have to release as many of their own. I don't want to say every pet site does this but when there is user created content they are secretly ecstatic and encouraging of it. I've seen when pet site art users leave a site, the activity starts to go down slowly. Least in my personal experiences. Though other factors contribute. I think its the "if I work hard I can get art for pet site currency!". Which would be kind of like if the site made flash games. More things to spend currency and time on for free. *shrugs*

I feel once more established in the community or more players to IMVU. They might stop paying the bills though to keep good face they might sell it instead of shut it down. They want a good face in the community and as financial savior I think they will get it over time. Though this is just speculation and just me. Its going to be a few years before they get to the point of dropping the site. Though factors of everything else could change this. Both sites having bad customer service, history etc. How much more can people take before cracking? I do not know. I try to avoid that kind of thing.

So I say while it is " safe" start branching to different art sites. Try establishing a root before things get damaged. Use the site as a step stone and migrate out slowly. Not all the same buyers and sellers are on every site. Some here or there and others avoid others for their reasons. Its best to do a overall coverage especially if your dependent on one site. My dad always echoed "don't let people control you". Meaning don't let them have something they can hold hostage over you. Force you to do things because of this item. Don't take the abuse. Your all humans that deserve respect and fairness. If more and more branch out users will follow and even new users you haven't touched will find you. I know I'm small and don't compare or live off commissions or have a real schooling in business. But I do know the more areas you cover the more places you'll be seen and heard. Its like how you see buses in the street. Plastered all over them is ads and some buses travel over half the city in laps over and over. There's so many people on that bus' route why not take advantage. Instead of only plastering on a local bus that only travels 10 blocks in a circle. (Least we have two bus systems where I live. Ones more local homes and the other is deep in the city downtown with attractions.)

I've been slowly branching out site to site. I made Weasyl my main gallery and then I branched to DA. I made an account on FA as a future move. Then I plan to establish more out over time to tumblr and even a strictly character Facebook. Maybe more art sites though that's another topic. Lol Even in the event I lose one I will still have the others. I even plan to touch rp sites and virtual pet sites. Virtual pet sites can be a good source especially if they are in your category of species. There are lots of places looking for art. Lol Though only down side each place has its own idea of "price". So you might hit a few sink holes but your still getting names out in the process. Sometimes you have to go to the consumer in these not so well known sources (virtual pets) but I think its worth it in the long run. At least business wise.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    I can't say that I feel bad for the artists that depend solely on FA for income. In all of it's glory, nothing actually will happen to them making sales. When I think about it, this does ensure some stable server reliability (despite how shitty IMVU is in general) which is an upgrade for artists on FA.

That's trying to see this in the most positive way possible, seeing as all my concerns and thoughts have already been spoken several times before.

But as I've said before, Dragoneer really is treating FA like his baby, only Dragoneer is a mother comparable to a crack whore who constantly neglects their child and eventually pawns them off to some form of slave camp in order to pay off some gambling debts. That's as accurate as I can sum up my whole perspective on this whole matter. My only concerns with the sale to IMVU is that all our promised features will eventually turn into "Pay to Use". I can't quite see a site like IMVU who is so staunch on creating an environment that is constantly free of bad words and lewd/sexually explicit materials only enter this deal to "get furries to use their product".

And seeing how Dragoneer is nothing more than a supervisor (let's face it, it's comparable to giving a baby a bib that says "king of the world" and saying they're in charge of the playground), I'm quite sure that the IMVU staff wouldn't cut him off from the project if he continues to be nothing more than dead weight. I'd be happy at that outcome, but I do shed a tear (metaphorically speaking) for the future of FA.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshabi View Post
    I can't say that I feel bad for the artists that depend solely on FA for income. In all of it's glory, nothing actually will happen to them making sales.
    If FA crashes because of backwards rule changes, this won't affect them and their ability to make sales?

My only concerns with the sale to IMVU is that all our promised features will eventually turn into "Pay to Use".
    ^^^^???

I can't quite see a site like IMVU who is so staunch on creating an environment that is constantly free of bad words and lewd/sexually explicit materials.
    ???!!!!!???^^^^

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    If FA crashes because of backwards rule changes, this won't affect them and their ability to make sales?

^^^^???

???!!!!!???^^^^

You're twisting my words, I suggest reading it once more and meditating on what I said before you speak.

As for your last two remarks, you might want to check your keyboard, for it failed to produce any type.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Of course! If someone cared for the site he sold he would have known that was going to be a big issue

Weasyl
    Butterflygoddess
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post

No words.
    Speechless.
    Then he calls that "a slip of the tongue". I've never really thought much of him anyway though.

Weasyl
    Vae
    If fucks given were dollars, he would be owing some pretty massive debt right now.
    Resident Koopa Trash