Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: silent readers

Weasyl
    Doggywolf67
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    The reason is probably because writing communities tend to be full of self-important bearded tossers who think they're so much better a writer than anyone else even though they ain't never been published yet. Writing communities are nothing but slings and arrows aimed at each other while at the same time sort of dragging each other along that winding path to perfection they all aspire to reach before *actually submitting anything for publication.* This atmosphere leaves the weak and poor writers extremely vulnerable and it makes the old guard jaded and elitist as fuck. No one wants to throw their opinion out there because it will either be rejected as trolling right out of the gate, shot down by fanboys, or picked apart by neckbeards.
    WOW, you really got something against beards! I may be old but sure not elitist. I also don't belong to any old-guard.
    If you are going to be that passionate, you should put it into some stories. I am not the only one who like to read them.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I like the contest idea. Maybe a random genre like romance, comedy, or horror and there can be a category for short stories and another for poetry or something.

But then the question is who would judge it, what would be any award, etc.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Doggywolf67
    Maybe we can shout out to all who are abandoning FA? lets see if we get some more authors here?

Weasyl
    Domnul Eduard
    Silent readers can truly encourage an equally sound atmosphere like their name suggests.

Truly, Weasyl could make proper use of some positive, beautifying and enthralling commotion, activity spurting here and there. It will also encourage the writers themselves to continue posting their works and marching upon the path of improvement.

Anyway, such a benevolent endeavour is nothing less of a long term stratagem. However, all it takes to start is one person with the desire to post over other people's works, in my opinion. All it takes is interaction precipitated by one single person.
    Eventually, that individual will befriend some of the writers through this interaction, then, this group of literary companions will start making a little group where they support each other, and their works. This group may grow, adding more individuals and as such, benefiting the verbal traffic throughout Weasyl...

...or so I reckon.

I suppose this deserves some experimentation.

Weasyl
    Doggywolf67
    Great! go for it! Where would you like to start? Posting some works and talking about them? or maybe setting a theme and seeig who comes up with what? or maybe starting a Weasyl authors guild?

Weasyl
    Domnul Eduard
    Commenting on people's works, simply.
    So far, this little audacious initiative in interaction won me some precious friendships on FA, honestly, I trust it might work here as well.
    The only issue is that not only the readers are silent, sometimes, the artists themselves are silent as well! You take your time to write an elaborate feedback, a complimentary opinion on their work only to see nothing but a dreadful, deafening silent.

As for your latter inquiry, I already administrate the FurWriters on FA. I think that's as far as I want to get. It is a nice place, people post their stories to be promoted and it does increase their views and attention, however, the group itself is mostly... silent as well.
    I cannot help but feel a lack of direction coming from many furry writers. A lot of them complain at the lack of popularity and recognition literature inside the fandom attains in contrast to visual works but few of them organizes a movement or a collective to support one another.

I had attempts at making it more resonant... but... my time schedule was severed.

First though, I need to familiarize myself with Weasyl, and its forum. Upload all my content here as well, that will beautify my user page up, assuredly.

Weasyl
    Doggywolf67
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduard View Post
    Commenting on people's works, simply.
    So far, this little audacious initiative in interaction won me some precious friendships on FA, honestly, I trust it might work here as well.
    The only issue is that not only the readers are silent, sometimes, the artists themselves are silent as well! You take your time to write an elaborate feedback, a complimentary opinion on their work only to see nothing but a dreadful, deafening silent.

As for your latter inquiry, I already administrate the FurWriters on FA. I think that's as far as I want to get. It is a nice place, people post their stories to be promoted and it does increase their views and attention, however, the group itself is mostly... silent as well.
    I cannot help but feel a lack of direction coming from many furry writers. A lot of them complain at the lack of popularity and recognition literature inside the fandom attains in contrast to visual works but few of them organizes a movement or a collective to support one another.

I had attempts at making it more resonant... but... my time schedule was severed.

First though, I need to familiarize myself with Weasyl, and its forum. Upload all my content here as well, that will beautify my user page up, assuredly.
    I understand that, I am on the FA writers list. The one thing that I have found so far is that if I post a story on FA it might get 20 to 25 reads in a month, but if I put the same story here it will top a 100 in just a couple of weeks. I hope you have good luck here.

Weasyl
    Levi
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarl View Post
    Maybe we can shout out to all who are abandoning FA? lets see if we get some more authors here?
    That might be good. I'm beginning to poke around the forums again after over a year of pretending it doesn't exist, and looking to see if there's any way to form a sort of writer network here.
    Personal Blog | WagzTail Podcast
    Much thanks to Kalika for the avatar

Weasyl
    Domnul Eduard
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    looking to see if there's any way to form a sort of writer network here.
    Well, that does sound like an endeavour worthy of trial!
    But, we can never know if there is a way to form such a network without trying out... Therefore, please, allow me the liberty of introducing myself: Eduard, ravenous wordmeister, and I am pleased to meet you!

What attracts you most to literature if I may ask?

Ah, and I cannot help but notice that you have the same name as one of my cousins, hahah! ))

And Gnarl, I am inclined to say you are right. There seems to be a more prominent attention towards literature here than FA. One must also take in consideration the fact that the population here is smaller than FA's, as well.
    The conclusion is... optimistic, therefore.

Weasyl
    Doggywolf67
    We need to do this, but how? When I was an undergrad (a few decades back) I and about a dozen others got together in the student union.
    We were artists (visual) musicians and some Literature majors, we would talk and listen and look for hours at what each of us was doing.
    Only once was there an Ego clash and that resulted in the entire university becoming interested in our group. It was almost like things became alive and there was no room left for boredom or the mundane. I wonder if there is a way to use a thread or maybe some form of online chat for everyone to get involved in this? Maybe we could set something up like a guild but not have too many restrictions on who is in it. I know that the Furry writers guild has a lot of great links to find information, but reading something is not the same as talking to a person. there are things that a text just can not explain. I am excited to be a part of this world of words and would love to get even more involved with many of the people here. What say you guys? How about we plan on getting as many of us as possible all on here at the same time? Say next sunday afternoon at 3M central U.S. time? Or if there is a better time, then When? I have a day job and work from 7:am to 4:pm on weekdays.
    Last edited by Gnarl; 03-29-2015 at 10:21 AM.