Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx

New tech: iSketchnote bridges the gap between digital and traditional art.

Read the full article here.

In a nutshell, the "iSketchnote" is a flat magnetic slate with multiple sensors inside which you hook up to your iPad or PC. To use it, you simply place a piece of paper (any kind of paper really) and draw on it using the special ink pen. It's not a stylus and has no batteries or digital components to it whatsoever, it instead uses magnets that interact with the sensors in the slate to determine pen tilt and orientation. This creates a digital version on your screen which you can use to undo, edit, color, etc. So it gives the convenience of digital art with the tactile feedback of traditional.

It's Kickstarter apparently was a huge success and you can pre-order it now, although currently only compatible for the iPad, but they'll be releasing updates that will make it compatible with OSX, Windows and Android soon.

What do you guys think? I personally think that if I had the opportunity, I'd love to try this thing out. I have hopeless amounts of difficulty with digital art but something like this might be just the thing I need to get rid of that mental "disassociation" when working with a traditional tablet.

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    That is super cool! I don't own an iPad but when they release compatibility with Windows I think I'd like to invest in one. I've always felt more comfortable with a pencil/pen and paper than with a computer tablet but do enjoy the digital art world nonetheless, so this seems like a very cool way to combine the two.