Weasyl
    N/A

Writing sites/communities?

Does anyone know of any good sites for writers? I'm interested in picking it up. Unfortunately the only places I know where to go are primarily art sites, with writing almost as an afterthought.

Mostly I'm interested in learning from reading other stories and tutorials, but if there's also a forum or something to interact with people and ask for advice I'd gladly sign up.

Thanks for the help!

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Might I recommend the Furry Writers' Guild. Even if you don't do the whole furry thing, it's a decent place to start looking for exactly what you're asking about.

Another good spot is Critique Circle, where you can post your works and get feedback from the community, and which also has links to writing exercises/resources/etc.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Thank you! I can only access Critique Circle at the moment, but it's exactly what I was looking for. I'll have to check out the Furry Writers' Guild when I get home.

You've used both I take it? What's your opinion of them?

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    You've used both I take it? What's your opinion of them?
    As a resource, the FWG is pretty handy, as it's generally up-to-date. As a community (last I checked) it leaves a bit to be desired, although I haven't looked at the forums in a while. At the very least it's definitely worth browsing from time to time.

CC is good, too, although I've had mixed experiences there. In general it's pretty top-notch, but you occasionally run into problems caused by the fact that it's more or less completely open to the public. What I mean by that is, you can get really good critiques from people who have lots of experience, or you can get shit ones from people who are just starting out. But it does force you to read and critique others' works before you can upload your own, which forces you to get practice reading fiction critically, so despite the occasional useless feedback you might get, it's still very much worth joining.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    As a community (last I checked) it leaves a bit to be desired, although I haven't looked at the forums in a while.
    The forums are a lot more active these days, and with far more of a sense of community (or at least as much as you can probably realistically get in the fandom with so many varying opinions and egos involved).

(Full disclosure - I'm the current president of the FWG, so might be a smidge biased...)
    Last edited by Poetigress; 01-27-2015 at 10:00 AM.
    website | blog | FurAffinity | Amazon | Goodreads | Smashwords | Twitter

Weasyl
    Doggywolf67
    Quote Originally Posted by Poetigress View Post
    The forums are a lot more active these days, and with far more of a sense of community (or at least as much as you can probably realistically get in the fandom with so many varying opinions and egos involved).

(Full disclosure - I'm the current president of the FWG, so might be a smidge biased...)
    I like FWG's page. it does show a lot of good information. It seems like a good reference and place to find references.
    My issue with the guild however is that someone like myself does not qualify to join. Even though I have eight books out there and short stories all over the fandom. I have earned thousands from sales but I did not trust publishers, so I guess I will just stay on the outside.
    Again, it is a good place for those just starting to pick up some info on publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarl View Post
    My issue with the guild however is that someone like myself does not qualify to join.
    True; self-published work doesn't count toward the membership criteria. But besides the resources on the website, the FWG forums are also available to any writer, not just to guild members.
    website | blog | FurAffinity | Amazon | Goodreads | Smashwords | Twitter