Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Critique please!

Weasyl
    Lavence

Critique please!

I'd like some feed back on this. My main problem is the shading on her head, like I'm not entirely sure if I did her jaw right. I'm also not very confident about the shading on her clothes.

Thanks in advance. c:

Weasyl
    123mine123
    Females tends to have a more pointy chin..
    She looks like a man dressed as a woman and it's kinda in a creepy way. ._.

Weasyl
    Lavence
    That's not very helpful.

Weasyl
    Antumbra
    I think the clothing is good. The hands and arms are also well done.

I do think your initial impression of the jaw being off is right. I think you made it too strong by having the heavy shadow under the jaw line and then no shading on the cheeks. It gives it a hard edge and makes it very pronounced. I think you did the perspective good on the face since it is looking slightly up, but the eyes seem too narrow.

Hope this helps!

Weasyl
    Lavence
    Quote Originally Posted by Antumbra View Post
    I do think your initial impression of the jaw being off is right. I think you made it too strong by having the heavy shadow under the jaw line and then no shading on the cheeks. It gives it a hard edge and makes it very pronounced.
    I wasn't sure if I should have given the cheeks some shading in case it would have looked off, but now I know. And I always have trouble with the jaw, so keeping this in mind should make it easier next time I draw faces in perspective.

the eyes seem too narrow
    Well, she's supposed to be somewhat on the brink of tears. Maybe it just doesn't come off that way.

Weasyl
    kynliod
    Just something to consider--and this coming from someone who has tried drawing this kind of angle and it is *hard*!--her facial features are angled upwards, but the length of the nose is more like what you would see if you were looking at someone head-on. As far as her eyes go, I'm not sure if this is what Antumbra meant when she said the eyes were too narrow, but the spacing between the eyes is too narrow. They should be about one eye-width apart.

I think this is the angle you were going for? Correct me if I am wrong: http://static2.bigstockphoto.com/thu...2/26033186.jpg

In the photo, you can see the "length" of her nose at that angle is very short, because of the foreshortening/perspective. It's also worth noting that even though her head is tilted back, her cheekbones are still the widest area of her face, and there is still a lot of curve to the jawline. I think you'll find, also, that shortening the length of her head overall will go a long way in helping her look more realistic.

I wish I could be more helpful with the shading/highlighting questions, but it's hard to address those things without first addressing some of the perspective/proportion issues. I think it's very commendable that you are challenging yourself with such a difficult angle. My guess is you are learning a lot from this experience! Keep at it! =)

7.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #7

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by kynliod View Post
    I think this is the angle you were going for? Correct me if I am wrong: http://static2.bigstockphoto.com/thu...2/26033186.jpg

In the photo, you can see the "length" of her nose at that angle is very short, because of the foreshortening/perspective. It's also worth noting that even though her head is tilted back, her cheekbones are still the widest area of her face, and there is still a lot of curve to the jawline. I think you'll find, also, that shortening the length of her head overall will go a long way in helping her look more realistic.
    Shortening the head, and maybe lengthening the neck. I'm not sure the exact angle the OP was going for, but in the stock image linked here, distance from chin to base of the neck is the same as from chin to eye height.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Lavence
    Quote Originally Posted by kynliod View Post
    As far as her eyes go, I'm not sure if this is what Antumbra meant when she said the eyes were too narrow, but the spacing between the eyes is too narrow. They should be about one eye-width apart.
    I feel really dumb now lol.

I wish I could be more helpful with the shading/highlighting questions, but it's hard to address those things without first addressing some of the perspective/proportion issues. I think it's very commendable that you are challenging yourself with such a difficult angle. My guess is you are learning a lot from this experience! Keep at it! =)
    Yeah, that's the angle I was going for. This is really helpful, thanks a lot! c: