Help piņardilla learn to draw things!

     
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Pina! Glad to see you've made a sketchbook thread, it definitely is a great motivator especially if you're more or less starting out.

I'm really diggin your one frontal face sketch. A lot of people have trouble keeping the eyes aligned with one another, but yours is right on! One thing I'll suggest for your traditional pics is to keep your lines pretty light though, it helps when you do want to erase and will come out looking cleaner overall. However, that's not to say don't get messy when in your sketch phase! Sometimes mine will be all over the place so much so that I'll get lost at what's what.

I don't want to overload you with tutorials and stuff since I'd have to see more of your work to really get a better idea on what you need to improve on (also it'd be more overwhelming than helpful), but (like I suggest to everyone) I really recommend reading at least up to chapter 2 of Vilppu's drawing manual. He makes learning forms and shapes so much fun, and his insight is so interesting to read.

Ah and you're going to be taking a drawing course? Must be so exciting! It'd be great to see some of your studies and draws from when you do start it up, it's always great to watch someone in the midst of improvement, eheh. I'll be following along with your adventure, so good luck with everything and keep those doodlez coming! :3

My one advice: Draw from life, use references. It teaches you everything except techniques. It will be easier to develop your own unique style from realism rather than mimic another style and trying to break your own.

Excellent place to start if you want to draw figures: Andrew Loomis (first link should have free pdf version of the book)

Also check out the Art resource thread in Weasyl forums. A lot of material there.

Don't read all at once though.

Just like with everything in life, all it takes is practice. The more you do, the better you get at it. Guaranteed. Your worst critic and enemy will be yourself. But that will strive you to get better at what you do. It's natural, embedded into everyone of us. Don't let anything stop you.

Weasyl
    123mine123
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    but I have pretty severe (actual, diagnosed) ADD, and every time I've picked up drawing I gave up nearly as quickly out of frustration.
    You and me both buddy..
    Though mine is not severe, I've have my own share of frustration and procrastination that's really hard to focus on something.
    My advice is what I do, try to find out something that works for you to stop procrastinating.

Mine is always if I'm at that point of wanting to do something else, I either play a game or walk around the house for 15 minutes then get back to drawing.
    Your goal is to at least draw something everyday, whether it be a study or a doodle.

So, good luck on your arting endeavors! C:
    Don't forget about the basic fundamentals of art and studies!

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Thanks, everyone!

I've already discovered Loomis, though being a rank beginner I read through "Fun With A Pencil" first. It was really helpful and I hear nothing but good things about Figure Drawing For All It's Worth so I'm looking forward to going through that soon. Vilppu looked a little over my head for the moment, though the accordion analogy for bodies made tons of sense and I'm going to try to apply that as I move forward with the badge.

First real drawing class is tomorrow. Sounds like we'll be starting with still life first. I'll post progress pics of my class stuff too, though it may have to be kinda crappy cellphone camera pics since putting unfixed charcoal on a scanner seems like a Bad Idea.
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    Something that helps with my ADD is to have multiple drawings going at once.
    That way when I find myself not being able to focus on one I switch to another.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7

Weasyl
    pinardilla
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    So, I've decided that the issues I've had with sketching the head on my badge is fundamentally a composition issue. He's supposed to have his mouth open in a war cry sort of expression, and the angle right now is just not good for showing that at all. It ends up a fair amount of that detail having to be rendered at an extreme angle, and teeth on the lower jaw pointing straight out of the page. If I had a lot more skill, it might be possible for me to draw that properly, but it still would be compositionally bad.

I'd used Loomis's "make a sphere with a circle and some curves" method that seemingly everyone since him uses now, but he doesn't really describe precisely where to draw your curves so as to orient the head in a predetermined direction. I just made a best guess of where my two curves should go in the circle, and then let myself be boxed in by them. The good news, though, is that after analyzing the problem and doing a bunch of rudimentary heads on a whiteboard at work, I've come up with a way to expand on Loomis's method that lets me determine where to draw my curves so as to point my heads at exact angles in the x, y, and z dimensions with mathematical precision.

I don't have my tablet with me right now, though, so I'll have to share the details later.
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Last edited by piņardilla; 01-17-2015 at 12:22 AM.
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    Weasyl
    MLR
    I don't normally post in art threads, but I wanted to say, breaking out the calculator is probably a decent enough way to start, but at some point you'll want to just get a feel for it instead. You'll find it goes much quicker and will look a bit more natural (mainly because things like faces don't really conform to perfect geometrical shapes). Loomis, I know (because I've studied him a bit as well, though I need to study him more) tends to focus a lot on the underlying structure: bones and muscles and such, and I personally find that makes things easier (it's also convenient that the skeleton of nearly every creature on earth that has one looks more or less the same; once you get one skeleton down, it doesn't take much to branch off to other creatures). It's a big learning curve (because anatomy is complicated), but it's worth it in the end if you ever want to be able to completely free-hand figures.

However, once you start doing perspective, maybe break out the calculator again, because that shit can get confusing.