Weasyl
    Noxid

Suggestion: Option to have filters apply to followed submissions

important points bolded, you can skip the rest of the fluff if reading is too much work

ok I can't really figure out how best to word the title but basically this:
    as it stands I have my content rating threshold set at 13+. This is the level I'm comfortable with and this is what I want to see. It does a good job of keeping the front page clean, most of the time. However, it doesn't apply to my submission inbox, so I get occasional reds and yellows (along with accompanying thumbnails) that I can't even view unless I change my site settings. So it's just an annoyance to delete them.

"maybe if u dont like dix u shudnet follow ppl who upload em"
    hey I try my best but sometimes people I like upload the occasional mature piece. Maybe they don't have a separate account for it, maybe they're a friend I'd like to keep up to date with but not *that* up to date, there are reasons

"lol u complaint so much 4 no thing just check the box n delete em"
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't protect me from whatever the thumbnails might be, and besides, it's a hassle that seems unnecessary to me when the feature exists elsewhere to keep these things hidden

I don't know if blacklisted tags suffer from the same problem but if so the same arguments may apply to those

I have a couple possible solutions in mind for the issue, I don't believe a one-size-fits-all approach is enough for this situation so it should probably be some kind of configurable value in the site preferences. Maybe someone will want to see their friends dicks but not everyone elses, idfk

Anyway, the most straightforward approach would be an option to block filtered submissions from ever appearing in the inbox in the first place. There would be no way to recover these "lost" notifications but, if you inclined that you didn't want to see them in the first place you shouldn't miss them, right?

The second idea I had was just to have a number on the inbox page somewhere that says "X filtered submissions", maybe with a checkbox for removing, which would also be affected by the "remove all" button. You'd still know they're there, but it would be less obtrusive and they wouldn't get in the way of other things I'd like to see.

That's pretty much all I got. It's not a huge life-changing feature, but I believe it's the small conveniences that really make something shine. Thanks for reading this overly long post.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2

Weasyl
    Fiz
    I've just tested this actually. I set my settings to General only and none of the submitted items past the General rating did not hit my inbox, with the exception of one Mature item which had its rating changed after it was initially submitted, so it still hit my inbox. So that is something that needs fixed.

If that isn't what is happening with your inbox (people changing their rating later on after the lower-rated submission hit your inbox), then I'm not sure why you're getting thumbnails with higher ratings in your inbox.

I've posted this to the devs for them to check out at least.

Weasyl
    Noxid
    oh, really??
    I remember seeing them.. but it could be, as you said, that the rating was changed later. I have no way of knowing.

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    Hi there, Noxid!

I'm almost certain that you're running into this bug. https://redmine.weasyl.com/issues/224

The bottom line is that notifications are generated at the original time a submission is uploaded. That's pretty easy, because it amounts to 'Blast a notification into everyone who follows this person'.

When a submission's rating then gets changed, what you want is fairly obvious, which is 'automatically delete things I can't see'. It's known, in the sense that we know it happens; the technical solution is much more difficult. (Think of it is there are a lot of if-then-if-thens, like 'Did this person already delete a notification, did this person never HAVE that notification, should 'nothing happen at all' because they're still allowed to see it...)

Make notification when submission is created: easy.
    Determine what to do with the state of each individual one if that submission later changes: hard.

It's on the back burner, but we're aware of it and it occasionally gets discussion. I hope this helps anyway!

Weasyl
    Noxid
    Shoot, well I feel a bit silly now.
    I saw it a few times, and just assumed it wasn't a feature.
    Sorry!