Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Je Suis Charlie

Weasyl
    N/A

Je Suis Charlie

"To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    R.I.P Charlie
    Hopefully France won't cave into the insanity like the UK has done.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Noble, I like it. We should not allow anyone to threaten Humanity into silence and fear.

Weasyl
    FlynnCoyote
    Only a coward needs to threaten artistic freedom to protect their own flimsy beliefs.

A firm salute to those who stood firm in the face of cowardice. Terrorism seems an ill fitting word in this case.
    We'll find a reason, or else realize that we don't need one.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5

Weasyl
    Fayv
    The actions of those terrorists was deplorable, but I must say the overall reaction from the world was rather heartwarming for me.

The sort of reactions I saw weren't just "I like this thing how dare you hurt it" but actually concerned about the freedom of expression. At least the opinions and such that I was reading fully acknowledged the content of the magazine was racist or offensive, but still condemned the act of killing, because above all you don't have to like something, or agree with it, you can think it is the worst idea ever, but to murder people over ideas is a line drawn by the world as being not okay.

Heck I don't like Fox news, and would be happy if it stopped being a thing all together, but going on a shooting spree out actively wishing harm on those involved is such a deplorable action there's no possible way to defend it. Freedom of expression is too important, even the sort you fundamentally disagree with.
    It was nice to see the world come together on that point and stand by France.

Honestly I'd be shocked if France didn't mobilize against ISIS in the coming months. They're a nation dedicated to two things, rabid nationalism and hating Muslims. Hell, they lead the air strike in Syria just because.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    because above all you don't have to like something, or agree with it, you can think it is the worst idea ever, but to murder people over ideas is a line drawn by the world as being not okay.
    I think this sentiment can never be over stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Evelyn Beatrice Hall
    I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Yeah I saw a lot of the use of that quote, mostly in meme form ala futurama and the lawyer that defended zoidberg, which is nice since sometimes it seems both sides of an issue desire nothing more than to shut down and silence the viewpoint that is opposite of how their own side feels.

It was nice to see so many rise up and clearly say "no, violence is a deplorable response"

Because it works both ways, to respond to violence to offensive material creates a horrible opening where new thoughts, thoughts that push against he main stream are terribly in danger (something I get concerned over due to implications of academic freedom)

So yeah. I hope France recovers well and doesn't use this as an excuse to turn to reactionary extremism.

And yet IIRC France has laws that make it illegal to talk about holocaust denial, because Jews aren't Muslims.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

10.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #10

Weasyl
    Fayv
    :\ honestly TA if you have a point I wish you would simply make it rather than making these absent snarky comments. You're not actually contributing.

Do you want to actually discuss whether holocaust denial is speech that should be protected versus other offensive type speech, versus satire, versus non-mainstream ideals?
    Do you want to talk about whether or not this reaction is indicative of actual value of freedom of speech or simply an anti-muslim reaction dressed up as something more acceptable?

There's a lot to be had from this kind of thread, so it'd be nice if people didn't shitpost to ruin it.