Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Otherkin?

Weasyl
    Eagle GodHeart
    i guess you could consider me "otherkin" because im christian and i beleive that im an immortal spirit stuck in a human body until God gets me out of this tub-o-lard.
    it takes a real man to call sin out by its real name
    -anonomus

אב, סלח להם; כי הם לא יודעים מה הם עושים
    -ישועה

profile pic by uncle-noob on teen furs.

Weasyl
    Torrijos_sama
    I identify as an alien. I'm too detached from humanity to identify as a human, or anything from this dimension for that matter.

Weasyl
    GlaringFeline
    I'm alright with Otherkin as long as they're not the Tumblr "I'M FICTIONKIN RESPEKT MUH PRONOUNS!!!" people. I believe -kin pronouns were made by Tumblr snowflakes to make themselves feel special. I don't have any beef with people who believe in spirit animals or people that think they were an animal in a past life, I'm only against the people who are doing it to be special snowflakes.

EDIT: I agree with Bornes, believing you were an animal in a past life is fine as long as you can accept that you're human now.
    Last edited by GlaringFeline; 08-05-2015 at 12:28 AM.
    -Insert inspirational quote here-

Weasyl
    Agitoho
    Reading all these posts have been quite interesting. I also have this odd detachment from humans myself. I sort of felt like I was observing them more than being a part of them. I kinda always thought it was because I was hermit, ha ha. But it's interesting to think I could possibly be 'something else' in a human body. I suppose I could be here just to observe 'these odd creatures called humans,' which is fine. The best way to learn about something is being hands on with it.

Or maybe I am just a hermit. That's fine, too.
    No matter what happens, I will have always produced more visible work on my solo project than Ken Penders has on his in the last five years.

I write and draw a manga. It's like a backwards comic. Give it shot, bro.

"You can't just slap "& Knuckles" onto everything." & Knuckles

Weasyl
    OhSynapse
    Warning: I might be sticking my nose into something I shouldn't, but I've never really gotten the chance to come across a -kin thread since I'm not really a member of the furry community. I looked it up some, tried my best to apply what I know to what I've researched, so please pardon me if I'm being painfully subjective... what I've seen from examples, complaints, justifications, reasonings, etc. is really all I have to go off of. If you'd like me to remove this then I will, I have no issue if this is uncomfortable material.

Also I'm not wanting to demerit/defend either position. I'm just approaching this from what I'm seeing here right now and what I understand from my own experience. After all I'm sure this thread was intended to reach out, not make a statement or discredit others.

---

From a psychologist's perspective I've kind of noticed that the '-kin' community isn't all too out there either in voice, confidence, or in regards to acceptability among outside perspectives. The issue is that there isn't a solid basis for what counts and what doesn't count and that's for a very good reason:

There's no guarantee that otherkin deem that they are otherkin under the same exact pretenses. Any time someone feels they don't 'fit' into what they currently are, be it gender, race, ethnicity, sex, even names and titles... it's pretty much all dysphoria which is a huge generalized diagnosis that doesn't have an explanation suitable enough to discuss openly and comfortably. And dysphoria is one nasty thing to dig into because there's no singular rationalization for WHY someone feels it. You can't guarantee that you'll get the same answer out of two people who say that they feel they weren't meant to be the gender they are as to why they feel that way. One might say it is because they were bullied for how they behaved against the gender norm, another might say because they internally felt like something was wrong even before others noticed.

What gets sticky here (let's leave tumblr out of this for a second-- I'll bring it back in because it has a pretty big impact but it's a giant can of worms) is that the concept of kin is at least a million times more diverse than the other feelings of dysphoria. There's a pretty big difference between someone who feels that they should have been a cat versus someone who thinks they should have been a species on a different planet entirely, and when those stories get shared it creates conflict simply because one person's reason and rationalizing doesn't agree or match up with another's. It's apples to oranges and oranges to kiwis and kiwis to penguins.

So with that ALREADY being difficult there's tumblr to escalate it. Tumblr lets peoples' blogs influence other people. You can anonymously write to people, you can mention them in a post and they never catch wind of it, or on the flipside you could tag your favorite celebrity and he might just respond or read what you say. It gives people a sense of importance... and privilege. After all when you make your account you start out with talking about YOU. And in most tumblrs it never goes beyond that until either conflict, fandoms, or the feminism/ableism/appropriation trends start up. You start being important the second you prove your opinion is valid, unquestionable, or worthy of being called law or truth.

So basically you get people who already have a sense of not belonging to their own physical selves, unsure of whether their symptoms are legitimate or not because their comparisons with others don't seem to completely match up with people similar to them and then you get the fist-slamming 'this is how I feel, so this is how it is!' commentaries. That's why it goes from kin to therian to fictionkin to any subcategory: because thanks to these beliefs that other feelings of disturbance are and aren't legitimate you're pressured to where they HAVE to be categorized to make sense in something that doesn't make sense in the first place. Even with years of psychological research the mind is still that unreadable black box that psychologists swore up and down that we've mapped out perfectly all these years. It just doesn't make sense because the resources to properly examine aren't available (case studies, legitimate diagnoses, etc.)

Dysphoria is very, very real and almost impossible to dispel or even explain to others. Even if you believe your reason for feeling it is the same as someone else's you have no guarantee because a lot of the main triggers for the feeling aren't something you'd be willing to share. I think that's the biggest issue that y'all are having when the topic gets brought up, because it's sensitive and it's something that you can't explain at all. You can't put it into words because if you did you'd be telling your entire life's story and even then it wouldn't make sense to the person on your right.

I'm not in a position to say what y'all should and shouldn't be doing but placing guidelines as to what counts and what doesn't count as someone being uncomfortable in their own skin doesn't seem productive. Dysphoria is something that needs community support-- so threads like this could really help out people as they're struggling to establish identity solidify their opinion of themselves as opposed to keep feeling undesirable and even less comfortable. And sometimes that dysphoria will fade out with enough community support and those people can determine for themselves whether they truly felt like they were destined to be something else, or whether they just needed to understand themselves.

---

Also on the topic of real vs. fake... unless they're making a huge joke out of -kin, I'm not sure that alienating them is really the thing to do. Dysphoria as a whole can be something experienced as long as a lifetime or as short as a few months. I saw on a few blogs people were afraid to come out as no longer being -kin because they thought they'd lose the friends they made, the people who made them gradually accept their identity. Sure, it's probably a little frustrating and might make you feel like people were just pretending, but there also might be people who weren't pretending and just had a change of heart about how they feel about themselves but are getting backlash for their decision. Identity crises and alterations happen all of the time in a lifespan-- should you be angry with your best friend when she confides in you about not wanting to go on the roller coaster you both used to ride? They're still people who experienced a moment of uncertainty, but ended up swaying towards the other side after a time of reflection and experience.
    Last edited by OhSynapse; 08-06-2015 at 12:34 AM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    OhSynapse

Weasyl
    N/A
    I honestly can't get over how cute the gif is. It's like, 70% of the reason for doing it. And you should feel proud because the other reason was the huge insightful critique of the "otherkin" culture. I don't care nor really agree but it was impressive in that "neeeerrrrrdddd" way.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    OhSynapse
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    I honestly can't get over how cute the gif is. It's like, 70% of the reason for doing it. And you should feel proud because the other reason was the huge insightful critique of the "otherkin" culture. I don't care nor really agree but it was impressive in that "neeeerrrrrdddd" way.
    Oh I know my nerd game was wayyy too strong. I've never gotten the CHANCE to talk about this stuff because I've been on the fence about putting it into data and terminology. Mainly because... well... obvious reasons. I kept debating on whether I should delete it or not so I checked worried about the damage I maybe caused.

So the second I logged in and saw that I busted a gut. Keeping the post up because the delivery was perfect.

Weasyl
    Agitoho
    No matter what happens, I will have always produced more visible work on my solo project than Ken Penders has on his in the last five years.

I write and draw a manga. It's like a backwards comic. Give it shot, bro.

"You can't just slap "& Knuckles" onto everything." & Knuckles