Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Otherkin?

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    Relax, no one here thinks you're weird or a bunch of whackos. It was me making a joke and someone being a snob.

And dissecting his post, it would seem that he plays judge within his own group to determine who belongs and who doesn't even if they show legitimate interest. If you ask me, that's Good enough reason to respond in the fashion that I did, and you too should definitely be one to frown on that kind of elitism in your own sub group/belief.

For all we know, that espeonkin he was talking about couldve been legit, seeing how pokemon are derived from nature as a whole. Maybe thats that person's varient of a species they lrgitimately identify with. Think about THAT one before you respond to Lord Toshacroc.
    Last edited by Toshabi; 04-03-2015 at 02:54 AM. Reason: vile phone typoes

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Guess we're at that point where you need a special card to be accepted into the kin club?

Weasyl
    Hewge
    I believe myself to be an undead spectre IRL, and deep down in my very soul. May I join this club?

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    And while we are at it, I'd be intrigued to see if Naresie can fulfill his own requirement for being an otherkin if his requirements for being accepted into "the Otherkin Club" (as he puts it) is by having video proof of him turning into a wolf or whatever it is you feel yourself to be.

That's the problem I have with these elitist otherkin (Please note the emphasis on elitist is to point out a small handful, not all): They feel entitled to have what they think be fact of how it is for all in their little subculture. Then they have the nerve to blatantly disqualify anyone they deam unworthy of participating in their discussions and culture. If you ask me, it's that kind of behavior and foolish mind set that turn other's bitter towards you.

Tl;dr elitism is toxic. (See League of Legends for more examples)

Oh my, I go to bed to sleep for the night and when I wake up this thread has exploded.. I have to apologize if I make some weird sounding statements since I am still a bit groggy after waking up, but I'll try to address all these points in the best way I am able to.

First off, a small detail I honestly don't care much about, but I guess I might as well just first point out that I am female, not male, but that is nothing very important.

Second- I don't really mind Toshabi's joking around, some friendly banter is pretty ok with, especially since I knew it wasn't exactly serious, the only time I mind such things are when they go on too long in a thread and completely derail it, although I have observed it happens unusually often in threads revolving around Otherkin for some reason.

I appreciate your support as well Bornes, I am however rather used to how the common view of kin tends to be, so I tend to respect if people show some skepticism about it or joke around about it a little, the only times I tend to get involved in these topics is to try and shed some light on how things usually, actually are when it comes to Otherkin, but I am also aware of the fact that each person is a unique case, so I don't consider myself an "expert" on it. I guess I just personally think it stinks a bit when we get such a huge backlash just by showing our faces, but I am not going to say I or any other Otherkin have some special entitlement either, just like any other person, we will face consequences for our actions, or at least that is how things normally look like to me at least, and I am certainly not saying I consider myself or anyone else a "victim" of some sort, although I guess that is up to each kin and person how they feel about that.

Regarding Toshabi's argument about the Espeon kin, and Toshabi's and Zeitzbach's points about being "elitist" or having to be special, let me put it this way.. I cannot say for other kin (dat pun tho), but I personally don't see it as a "special people's club" nor should it be interpreted as such. Take for example the furry fandom, is it a special people's club? Doesn't it look more like people with a common interest, or common feeling about a certain subject, or a common feeling in general gathering and giving each other feedback, company and support? I guess that is a bit what Otherkin is about.. and I personally think it is very.. silly, when people try to make it into a special people's club, both those who are and aren't part of it. I just started mingling with Otherkin because I wanted to meet people who understood what I went through.. since I felt very confused. To maybe shed some light on some of the things I went through. Not to further distance myself from everyone else in order to feel "entitled" in some way or shape. Sure, it may sometimes look or seem like it, but how to put it.. we are all "different" somehow, which might mean we sometimes are a bit better or worse at something than others, but does that mean I consider myself "special"? No, not really, from my point of view.

And sorry, I am rambling a bit again it seems. Let me put it this way.. From what I have seen, Elitists usually criticize other players, if we take LoL for example, and they do it harshly. When I met this Espeon-kin, I admit, I was a bit confused about the phenomenon, and rather skeptical, but.. guess what. I did not criticize him or her. I simply respected his or her choice, and let him or her go forth with their life. I even greeted her or him, and wished them luck to find what they sought, from what I recall, since this was a somewhat long time ago. If I was indeed an elitist, I would have told this person that he or she would have no business here, that they were "insufficient" or could go away, but I welcomed them to the community instead. If I was an elitist, wouldn't I have tried to put myself on a higher pedestal than them?

I am aware of the fact I might have sounded like an arsehole when I first mentioned this Espeon-kin in my post, Toshabi, and I apologize if I did since I was just trying to create a little bit of a mood or feeling in my post, and that I was a bit confused about this phenomenon, but since the Otherkin community is simply a "group" or a term, it is not anything I can say someone should or should not be in, they have every right to be in it if they just say they want to, no matter what I or someone else may think or say, I have no control over that. I simply wish that person to grow, in whatever way they feel is best, into the person they will become later on. And honestly, I have no serious.. discontent feelings over who is an Otherkin or not, no matter how much I would want to, it ultimately is not, well.. it is not "my business" (without trying to sound pretentious here), and ultimately since we all are individuals and people who have no true control over each other.. I believe Otherkin was just originally coined as a term to try and get people together, and who sought support and to share their experiences with each other. Just like furries.

Tl;DR: I don't claim myself to be a paragon of Otherkin or something like that, although I am probably part of one of the oldest "generations" of Otherkin (still not saying I am special, keep in mind), but other than that I am not saying I have or want control over who is part of the community or not, or who can call themselves an Otherkin or not, I just sometimes get a bit confused about certain "types" of Otherkin, and I am not claiming myself to be a "know it all".

PS: The physical shifting thing was a joke since I in older times saw threads were a few Otherkin claimed they could indeed physically shift, but which we got no proof of. But it was a rather rare phenomenon, and I am not going to jab at them or anything, I was simply trying to mix some lighthearted humour into the thread.

Sorry if this post seemed a bit all over the place, I hope you at least understand my basic train of thought. If there is anything else you wonder, feel free to ask me. Have a good day/evening!

Quick edit: And naaaw Toshabi, I ain't a werewolf haha. Let me put this simply, I am more or less an alien (in spirit/essence, NOT body), or being from space that due to certain events am now just hanging around on Earth and reincarnating. And yes, I am serious. Any questions about that will be answered too.
    Last edited by Naresie; 04-03-2015 at 11:08 AM.

Weasyl
    oly
    i'm not an otherkin in any way, I am however a misanthropist and a nihilist. I say this on the pretense that generally being uncomfortable with humans and humanity is an area of potential overlap with otherkins or theirans or w/e.

Weasyl
    Domnul Eduard
    Quote Originally Posted by Bornes View Post
    Do you really have to be such a huge jerk? These people go through enough as it is.
    I have not read the entirety of this thread to know in what manner has this escalated, but personally, I believe he was merely joking, innocently so.

Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    i'm not an otherkin in any way, I am however a misanthropist and a nihilist. I say this on the pretense that generally being uncomfortable with humans and humanity is an area of potential overlap with otherkins or theirans or w/e.
    Then we have one thing we clearly agree on, (most) humans are bloody weird, hehe.

I have not read the entirety of this thread to know in what manner has this escalated, but personally, I believe he was merely joking, innocently so.
    Yep, I was sort of under that assumption as well Eduard. But eh, I still wanted to respond to Toshabi to make sure.

Weasyl
    Bornes
    I guess I overreacted.

There were a few years of my life where (as I mentioned briefly before) I identified as Therian. And memories of people just farting around were completely invalidating. Mockery got me nowhere. It just solidified that I really was therian. Yes, someone finally explained that I wasn't therian, but they did it in a rational (albeit hurtful), non-mocking way.

When people are posing as otherkin, they probably genuinely think they really are otherkin. Back when I thought I was therian, I had phantom (animal) limbs and sporadic mental shifts. The brain is a powerful thing. It can convince you you're something you're not, and trying to convince someone they're wrong through mockery only strengthens their resolve to prove that they are in fact the thing they claim. Or at least that was how it worked for me.

This is not to say I disbelieve in otherkin entirely. I'm sure there are some people that have been re-incarnated from other species and have some sort of failure to adapt. But I think it's rare.

Anyway, tl;dr sorry for white knighting.

Eh, it is quite alright. Skepticism is healthy, but I agree with the fact that it can be very frustrating occasionally when people keep mocking all Otherkin, especially when they have not even talked to a decent number of them or even know any. And cool to hear your last thoughts about Otherkin too, it seems at least rather rational. Some creatures or people tend to have an easier time adapting than others, although I am not sure if I wish to agree with the fact that it is incredibly rare, but thanks for the feedback anyway. No problem!

Also- sorry for the very delayed reply.