Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Otherkin?

Weasyl
    spits

Otherkin?

This is literally the worst mistake i think i could possibly make on a furry forum but hey let's give it a shot. what's the worst that could go wrong? i get an entire thread full of people hassling me for the unbelievably preposterous and offensive concept that is "being otherkin"? probably. we'll see. (see, i went ahead and announced worst-case scenario to prevent from being surprised when anyone inevitably comes in and has something incredibly hurtful/probably offensive to say about otherkin)

Otherkin? Are you one? If so, how did you come to the realization that you were one? Do you find yourself experiencing feelings related to it on a day-to-day basis, or is it something that quietly sits in the back of your mind that you just know is there? Do you enjoy expressing it? If so, how? Does it tie into other parts of your life (such as your interests, your spirituality, etc?)

For me, it's a major part of my life that i cherish dearly, and it's done a lot of good for my health. That being said, i always like to hear others stories about their identity and the effect it has on their life, especially if that is a drastically positive one!

Oh boy, this thread appears to be rather deserted.. well, considering I am an Otherkin, I might as well join in here myself.

Well, let's see, how did I come to the realization I am an Otherkin.. well, first off, I would say that phrase is just more or less a fancy phrase that I do not have much of an emotional attachment to, but I do think it is sad that many of us are getting so mocked and ridiculed. It doesn't faze me too much, I just think it sucks because people who could benefit from looking into this, no matter if they are kin or not get discouraged from looking this up themselves.. then again, I have also seen some "bad" cases of kin too, so I am not going to say we all are victims or innocent, then again, we aren't exactly as much of a tight knit "community" as for example furries, from what I have seen, and from what I feel..

Anyway, the reason I became an Otherkin was first off, I felt a very strong attraction, nearly unexplainable one towards pagan and magical things and the occult, meaning not just fantasy novels or stuff. This led me to pursue the path with more interest and eventually stumble upon the term Otherkin. I also never, EVER felt any interest in humans or humanity, and if I saw a person transforming into a beast of some kind in a movie, comic or whatever, I would look up at it with adoration and interest, and admiration, wishing I was that person.. I did not, and still do not see it as a curse, or a negative impact.

I guess I also just felt like I never fit in among humans, or the human way of "thinking" or "acting". I just like doing my own thing, which doesn't mean I like justifying bad things I do all the time because "Well, derp, I am not human lol." all the time, it just helps me to look into why I feel the way I feel, and it helps me to grow more as a person. I will still take responsibility for my actions, which is why I disagree with some Otherkin who feel like they cannot be critisized for what they do because they are "different". What I DO feel like being kin helps me come to terms with is my past lives, because certain bad events that have transpired in them turned out to be the reason why I have certain issues in this, current life, and it helps me figure them out and to help myself heal slowly from those past mistakes. Even physical ones, to be honest. I agree with that coming to terms with not being (spiritually) human, has been essential for some more emotional and mental "issues" as well.

Basically.. I am not going to outright deny the fact that I might be insane, maybe it's something neurological, however, my intuition, my instincts tell me that there is at LEAST something more going on than me just being well, human.. (By which I do not state I am BETTER or WORSE than anyone else, since I am a unique individual just like anyone else.) Especially since I also tend to feel spiritual activity rather clearly, even as a child, although back then I tried blocking it out rather forcefully.

So.. I kinda forgot where I was going with this, especially since it's late, but I cannot ignore my intense feelings and thoughts, and instead I am trying to instead look at them and see what is going on.. which has led me to this path. Unlike most humans who appear to be experts at trying to ignore their feelings or desires. And, hmm.. once when I tried to do a ritual as a kid I kinda somehow managed to make the power die in the meantime. So I guess there's that too. Anyway, enough rambling, if anyone wants to ask me anything further about this, feel free to do so here.

TL;DR- Insatiable curiousity for the world, my own "feelings" guiding me and just a higher.. state of awareness, led me to identifying myself as an Otherkin. Plus I sometimes do neat, paranormal stuff without thinking about it at times.
    Last edited by Naresie; 03-25-2015 at 05:53 PM.

Weasyl
    Bornes
    I thought I was therian, once. I used to be a regular poster on the werelist. Years ago, someone put it to me straight. I was absolutely crushed for a couple of weeks, but then I got over it and realized I don't need to be 'something else' to be happy.

I don't know how I feel about otherkin specifically. I think therians exist, but I also think most people who say they're therians aren't. Overall, I don't think there's anything wrong with otherkin/therians as long as they/you realize that you're a human now, and do not try to deny that fact. Of course the definitions have broadened over the years, so maybe what I believe is a therian is different from the common thought these days. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Bornes View Post
    but then I got over it and realized I don't need to be 'something else' to be happy.
    That is one of the issues some people who claim to be "Otherkin" have, to be honest. The concept of identifying as Otherkin is to try and reach closer to who you are, not who you want to be, not to get away from your issues or yourself, but by confronting it head on. If you need to wave a "I'm special" card in front of people, you are simply making excuses, and that just makes you a very insecure being, no matter what or who you are. I acknowledge I am physically human, and will be until this body dies, but after that my "essence" or non human soul will just reincarnate somewhere else, but that is more of a spiritual belief. I just feel I do not really perceive or think of things as most humans do, and do not feel involved with the human race as a whole, but just as being a guest in this world, as anywhere else, there are some basic.. rules you have to follow, or you will probably bite the dust rather harshly, and that is common sense really, no matter what you are.

I think therians exist, but I also think most people who say they're therians aren't.
    To be honest, I myself have also a bit of an issue with therians as well, even if some are agreeable. You may feel closer to a specific animal because you have been one in a previous life, or feel a special connection with them, but it doesn't necessarily make you completely that animal. However I understand if it simply makes people feel like they have more trouble understanding human behavior, as I myself do too, but as I have already said, that doesn't justify you trampling on their traditions or beliefs.. Just let them do their own thing, and we'll do ours, simple as that.

So yeah.. sorry for just busting into the conversation again, I just simply wanted to say that I more or less agree with you Bornes, and that you have a very logical way of thinking.
    Last edited by Naresie; 04-02-2015 at 10:42 AM.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    I am a Croconaw, so therefore I strive to be more like one. Does this make me otherkin?

I'm sorry sir, but unless you (falsely) claim you are able to physically shift into a Croconaw while giving up excuses for not recording it on video, then you may not join the Otherkin club.

(But seriously though, I once saw a person seriously calling themselves a "Espeon Kin", no disrespect, but.. *cringes*)

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    I've done it before. You now can't keep me out of your club because I really am an IRL croc.

Maybe you're just saying that cause you can't do it and are insanely jealous of a Croc that can. That's what I think.

#Crockin.

Weasyl
    Bornes
    Do you really have to be such a huge jerk? These people go through enough as it is.

Weasyl
    Toshabi
    I'm pretty sure being elitist counts as that so I actually don't know if you're actually talking about him or me.

Weasyl
    Bornes
    I'm talking about you. If you really thought you were a pokemon I'm pretty sure you would've presented your argument differently.

It's pretty common for people to shit all over otherkin so I think Naresie's comment, taken in context, really isn't that bad.
    Is it really that hard to have some sort of rational discussion about otherkin without mockery?