Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Dogsledding!

Weasyl
    N/A

Dogsledding!

So, I finally got to try this a few times, and it was amazing, and I was wondering if anyone else has, or is interested.

The first time was up in Michigan. My sister gave me a two-hour ride at a nearby place, where you got to learn to hitch up the team,then goon a ride with the guide, and learn how to guide the team. The snow was a perfect powder, about 24 degrees out.

The two closest dogs to the sled are called the wheel dogs; these are the most powerful, kind of like the engine. In the middle, you have the point dogs...kinda like a transmission, I suppose between the dogs in front...the lead dogs. These are the smartest, and also 'pack leaders'; ones the others will follow. Our team was six huskies.

It was a lot more physical than I thought, when it came to guiding the team. More than the vocal commands, a lot of it was how you leaned into things, or stomped your foot when you said 'Hike!", to get the going. You stand on the two back runners of the sled, about the width of a ski, and there's also a metal bar that acts as a foot-break in front of you to stop the sled. This is especially useful when going down a hill, and you need to stop, and don't want the sled to run over the dogs! We tipped over three times, but despite the bruises, had a blast, and learned somethings. It was a bit like horse-back riding, only the commands were different:

Gee=right
    Haw=left
    Woah!=stop
    On By=keep going, past a distraction, or another team
    Hike=Start/go/faster

I went once after that, and hope to go this winter, up in Western Maryland, where I saw a few places. I found that I was sweating by the end, it took more stamina that I thought to keep them under control. But when you got going fast, nothing can beat that feeling.

There's also a two-day camping trip, up in Michigan...you spend one day sledding out to camp, feed the dogs, eat, sit by a fire, tell stories, then head back the next day. That's what I hope to try when I'm up in Michigan again.

So, anyone else have a hankering for this sorta thing?

Weasyl
    Hewge
    ! I remember you from FAF. Hopefully they didn't turn you off too bad xP

As for dog sledding... I've never done that at all! It's surprisingly difficult to get massive amounts of snow, and a bunch of snow doggies when you're in Australia xD

Weasyl
    SunnySideUp
    That sounds so amazing. As a SoCal gal I've never had the chance to try it, but it's most certainly on my bucket list!

Weasyl
    N/A
    Ah, you both seem to reside in snow-less areas! I'm really hoping for some serious snow, this year. We generally don't get too much, but there can be exceptions. There's a few dog-sledding places up in the hills of the western part of the state, about a 4 hour drive, so that's where I'm hoping to go, this year, or maybe PA/WV.

@Hewge: I post a bit on FA, though the forums are pretty mean & nasty, overall, and not really much fun. I miss the old days of FTF, that's where I used to be most active. But glad ya remembered me!
    Last edited by SimoSkunk; 12-29-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    You were on furry 2 furry too? Or is that something else? Anyway I'm hesitant on dogsledding just like horseback riding or whatever other animal riding. Doesn't seem right to me, at least if it's a sport.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleu View Post
    You were on furry 2 furry too? Or is that something else? Anyway I'm hesitant on dogsledding just like horseback riding or whatever other animal riding. Doesn't seem right to me, at least if it's a sport.
    Yep, I was there as Sweet Pea the Malamute. After the site's implosion, I became a striped skunk, and started my furry live over!

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by SimoSkunk View Post
    Yep, I was there as Sweet Pea the Malamute. After the site's implosion, I became a striped skunk, and started my furry live over!
    I know that name. Shame that site went down. I was starting to like it.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

8.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #8
    Weasyl
    NovaCaine
    Living in Canada there are plenty of opportunists to go Sledding. But due the fact I live in high tourist area in the Country, it can be quite pricey to do so. And that sucks

I've never been but I hear stories and just want to drive out and try it at least once. ^^
    I have a secret.​
    A dark, furry secret with big teeth.​
    Less a secret, really - more a wolf.