Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weasyl
    Verona

Question about "Please upgrade your browser to access DeviantArt."

Hello everyone

I have a question about my browser Explorer 9 and the new DeviantArt. Since months it works fine, my old router blocked somehow a lof of things, same for the thumbnails here on Weasyl were blocked. Now as I said, everything works fine! But I keep getting this on the top of the page: http://www.verona-online.org/da_browser.jpg and since other browsers are very slow on my pc, Explorer 9 is the only one that works fine for me.

I even sended a ticket to DA, but they say short: "Cant be changed" or something. So kinda they force you to install Chrome, Opera, Firefox, or upgrade your Vista to 7. I also reopened the ticket that I said, that the place for that popup is not really a good place, it hides the menu stuff as you see, but they ignored my reopened ticket and closed it without respond, how nice! They should let it appear and when you click X that it keeps away, like FA does. But it keeps appearing anytime. Is there a way to make it hide? It appears after the last seconds of loading page.

So my question is, is there a way to let it dissapear on Explorer 9? Or with a popup blocker or something?

Funny fact that somebody else have Opera, and got the last update, and this popup keeps comning by this person too!

Weasyl
    N/A
    Why don't you just upgrade to Explorer 11? It's technically faster than all the other browsers now anyway (mainly because it leverages the OS itself for some tasks).
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    N/A
    DA is pretty terrible like that from what I heard. I'd suggest a pop up blocker and definitely upgrading Vista to Win7. Vista is just...bad. might help with your browser problem too
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Verona
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    Why don't you just upgrade to Explorer 11? It's technically faster than all the other browsers now anyway (mainly because it leverages the OS itself for some tasks).
    Explorer 11 isnt for Vista, or else I already did...

Quote Originally Posted by Aleu View Post
    DA is pretty terrible like that from what I heard. I'd suggest a pop up blocker and definitely upgrading Vista to Win7. Vista is just...bad. might help with your browser problem too
    Yeah I was thinking about that too, but Im afraid a lot programs wont work anymore, I have some old programs on my pc like Illustrator CS. And I cant without it. Im afraid it wont work anymore when I upgrade Vista to 7

There isn't much difference between Vista and 7. Microsoft tries pretty damn hard to avoid breaking compatibility with older software (it's one of the main reasons Windows is as pervasive as it is, because you can usually run most well-behaved code from a ways back). I do know for a fact that CS2 works on 7, and worst comes to worst Adobe IIRC still has valid keys for it on the download page ("technically" you're "supposed" to already "own" CS2 but I believe the move was more bait to get college kids hooked on using Photoshop instead of alternatives and then pay for a more up-to-date version, which they then made FAR easier with their creative cloud; so basically they're not going to blink if you just happened to spontaneously "own" a copy of CS2). Heck Photoshop 7 was working on it before I switched.

Hey, sorry to hear about your issues with DA.

Unfortunately, and you're not really gonna like this, your OS is reaching end-of-life. XP recently hit this, and you'll soon be seeing the same issues with Vista. You can find out a bit more about the product life-cycles of windows here if you're interested. It's a dull read though. Microsoft actually used Internet Explorer 10 as an incentive to get people to leave Vista and it's crappiness.

Basically, your options are as follows:
    • Upgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1 to allow you to use new Internet Explorer versions
    • Bin it all and install Linux (Try Ubuntu. it's nice once you get it going)
    • Install a Linux Partition on your computer and use that instead (So you can use Vista and Ubuntu [trickier])
    • Use Chrome, Firefox, Opera, or another good browser

If you're in education (Or know someone that is) then Microsoft's Dreamspark Premium service may be able to provide you with a free copy of Windows.

If you have compatibility concerns, don't. Windows 7/8 is compatible with pretty much everything now. Unless you're running 20 year old software designed for Windows 98 then you shouldn't run into any issues. Even then Windows 7/8 will have a stab at making it run and has a set of compatibility mode options just like Vista has in it's properties menu on all your files.

On a side note, every site I've worked on and submitted for grading at University, and for personal use either blocks IE versions less than 10, IE entirely, or cannot render anything because nobody in their right mind should have to jump through the hoops those crap browsers force people to hop through.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Verona View Post
    Explorer 11 isnt for Vista, or else I already did...
    Well that's a shame, I've been using Chrome since release and never looked back. Didn't realize that they cut support to Vista so quickly, I think IE9 itself was Vista and up, so in one version they dropped Vista.

I suppose upgrading to Win7 and above is indeed your best bet. I wouldn't honestly worry about a program like Illustrator though in terms of compatibility.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    N/A
    I'd suggest going to Chrome over Firefox. Firefox is great and I love it but it is so demanding if you have multiple tabs open.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleu View Post
    I'd suggest going to Chrome over Firefox. Firefox is great and I love it but it is so demanding if you have multiple tabs open.
    I never understand this issue with Firefox. I tend to leave it open and play games and whatnot and do just fine. Perhaps it is just my PC. Of course on my end of things Chrome immediately goes into the garbage bin for not having NoScript support.

Weasyl
    Noxid