Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Kaluna

Anxiety and Panic

I just feel like talking about anxiety and panic issues, and hopefully connecting with others who are having the same problems.

Anxiety is something pretty much everyone feels at some point in their life, but living with it is another story.

Interacting with people is my main source of anxiety, which is kinna ironic because I'm really a social person, and really crave being around other people, even though it causes me to be very uncomfortable. Phone conversations, checking out at the grocery store, meeting a new person, that moment when a stranger says something to you, those are some of my most panicked moments. But even just hanging out with close friends, I still feel on edge and onstantly worrying about everything I do.

It really gets to me when people make jokes about anxiety disorder being a "first world problem", I understand it's often not as severe as other disabilities, and some people are able to live just fine with it. Other people find that it inhibits their ability to function in a "normal" way. I am one of those people, something that took me a long time to be able to admit, even through the internet. I feel like many people who are close to me do not understand the struggle that's going on inside my head and make very hurtful comments, leading me to feel really disconnected.....

One thing that has helped me A LOT is being part of the furry fandom and wearing fursuits too. Being part of the fandom gives me a sense of community and belonging, and a means through which to socialize and make friends without having to have face-to-face interaction, which is as I mentioned, not very fun for me. And fursuits have helped me to go outside more and have a desire to interact with people in my community, becuase when I put on a fursuit I don't feel like anyone can judge me since they can't see me, and since I don't talk in my suit I don't have to worry about what to say, or how to respond, I just make people smile and laugh and it's really therapeutic for me. I start seeing people less as scary intimidating strangers, and instead just see tham as people I haven't met yet
    Another thing that really helps me is reading about/talking to other people who have the same kind of issues. I especially love the anxiety cat meme:
    http://anxietycat.tumblr.com/

What things make you anxious (if you feel comfortable talking about this)? Do you have anxiety attacks? Panic attacks? What helps you with them?

Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Kaluna
    Wow okay....maybe on the wrong forum.....I definitely don't want troll responses...

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    I can't say I've ever suffered from full blown anxiety. I've been anxious. I've been nervous. But never "anxiety" in the chronic sense.

I have been suffering from some chronic pain lately. It keeps me from sleeping (like now) and makes me a bit depressed thinking about having to put up with it forever. Sometimes I want to cry and it's overwhelming.

So... I guess I can relate.
    Browsing the internet and chatting with friend's doesn't take the pain away though. Neither do painkillers. I need to find the source of the pain, but simply have been unable to get to a doctor yet.

-edit-
    Also I don't know what teenageangst is going on about~

Weasyl
    Kaluna
    Damn that's awful, I really hope that you get to a doctor soon. I know how hard it can be to get medical attention, I have had an ovary explode on me because I didn't get an ultrasound and I dealt with the crippling pain for way too long until the cyst on my ovary literally exploded. Nothing could console me when I was in that much pain so I really don't know what to say to you other than to just hang in there and don't hesitate to go to the emergency room if the pain becomes to a point where you're having trouble moving or seeing, and don't take no for an answer. If you're a female and the pain is abdominal get an ultrasound too! A lot of times doctors won't do the extra tests like ultrasounds unless you insist, but ovarian cysts are more common than you might think!

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    Well I'm not a XX female, ha, buuuut I'm taking some medicine to help with the whole "woman thing" so things are getting better. But my mom totally had an ovarian cyst and had it blow up on her. She is a TOUGH woman and she was in some seeeerious pain so I could only imagine. :CC (but as transwoman thankfully never will have to experience, mwahahaha--#thebrightside)

Hang in there with you anxiety and do the things that make you feel better. Me, I'm actually thinking getting up every few hours might be helpful. Also I found a weird but effective sleep position that didn't have me waking up at a 7 level in pain, so looking forward to tonight when I can try it!

Weasyl
    WolfNightV4X1
    I don't know...for me it feels like I have pretty bad social anxiety, although most 'severe' anxieties are accompanied by symptoms of trembling, shaking hands, sweating, inability to maintain eye contact...

I really do feel a sense of panic in public...and I feel like I should say something but my mouth won't open up to say what I feel so if I do talk it's just really basic and important stuff. I wish I could talk about what I'm feeling or what I like to people but I'm afraid to. The thing I fear most though is awkward silence, I try to avoid that when necessary by finding an excuse to cut the meeting short or racking my brain violently for something that could be said...then there's that awful sense of panic as the minutes drag on and I still don't have anything to say and the other person is providing nothing to go off of.

I feel like I cannot speak to anyone with what I like or how I feel so I simply don't, and I try to avoid people.

I've gotten better since but my social anxiety issues are still there. I tried to open up more last year and make new friends...which worked at the beginning but I just couldn't keep up with these so called 'friendships' because it was more like an acquaintanceship. So slowly I stopped talking to them and ended up being a dormdweller by the end of the year. It's even worse when you see them every single time and you know them so you have to greet them. So I really tried avoiding them. I ended up leaving the school just so I didn't have to deal with that anymore >_>

So I'm not going out of my way to make meaningless friendships with people anymore. I'll just let it happen as it happens. In the meantime I have my internet friends who I am absolutely comfortable talking with.
    Howl 'Havoc' and let slip the wolves of war

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Social situations used to freak me out, but nowadays they're one of the few things that can get me out of a panic state. Sometimes they make it worse, but often, having people to talk to, in-person, about unrelated shit can be enough to pull me out of my own head.

What makes me panic? I have no idea. Sometimes I'll feel like death is imminent and the world is ending for no reason I can identify. Sometimes it's because I remembered I have a bill due, a bad thing I did, I thought about climate change or supervolcanoes, wondered if my dog is dying, or basically any normal day-to-day stressor that shouldn't be a big deal.

Either way, it'll snowball into being certain that death is close, the world is ending, everything is hopeless, and trying to soothe myself by thinking of all the ways I deserve to die. Just this general constant feeling of tension and terror and that I have to do something, but feeling too paralyzed to move, or some days, even talk. If I'm in that state, it doesn't take too much to send me into a full-blown panic attack, hyperventilating and unable to stand and everything.

It's 100% irrational, and I can be completely cognizant of how irrational it is and still am unable to think myself out of it and I hate that. Mindfulness exercises I learned at therapy can help some if it's not already too bad, but if it's skipped straight from 'escalating' to 'full-on terror-cage' just about the only thing I can do is try to sleep and hope I'm more capable of dealing with it better rested. (It is much harder to deal with and gets worse much faster if I have not had enough sleep.) Apparently those exercises are a skill, though, so maybe they'll give me more control with time.

Thankfully, my friends and my boyfriend are aware my brain does stupid shit and are pretty okay at dealing with me looking like a deer in the headlights if an anxiety spike happens to correspond with an outing. I've also found that my anxiety levels are way, way lower immediately after doing a Big Outdoors Social Thing (like a music festival or a burn) where I meet a lot of cool people and end up physically, rather than mentally, exhausted. But those cost money and involve time off work so I can't do them all the time. Still, they help. (I wish exercise helped as much as I'm told it should, but all it usually manages to do is translate anxiety into depression. Though "beh everything sucks, i suck, why should i feel obligated to keep existing?" is easier to exist with than constant terror in the short term, for me.)

Anxiety sucks, it's dumb, and it makes me feel like a mental invalid, but I'm doing what I can to improve my own reactions to it and make myself a more functional person I guess.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    Torrijos_sama
    Meditate.
    Don't surround yourself with worriers.
    Don't use too many stimulants like caffeine, or nicotine.
    Give yourself some time to relax each day.
    Listen to calm music, and breathe deeply.

If this is too rational for you, then take the self-destructive approach:
    -Chainsmoke cigarettes and drink a minimum of two lots of coffee when you plan on going to sleep.
    -Chew your fingernails, and twirl or pull on your hair.
    -Scream and have vocal outbursts any time you begin to feel uncomfortable.
    -Avoid human contact as much as possible, and think about the worst things that could possibly happen to you every time you go in public.
    -Hang around people that enforce such negative behavior.
    -Constantly fill your life with unnecessary drama.

Weasyl
    Vae
    I have a shitload of problems with anxiety, and they can become pretty severe,
    ranging from simple avoidance and states of unease, to full-blown blacking out and ringing in my ears and vomiting.

I've gotten better about handling it over the years, but the typical things that tend to trigger it the worst are any close-calls or near-accidents in driving, and really bad storms.
    Or if I feel like I'm going to be stranded somewhere without means of getting / contacting a ride home.

Unlike some advice I've heard, it actually makes it worse for me to try to "talk it out." Talking to people, even talking to people who are close, tends to exacerbate my emotional distress.
    What I need to do is isolate myself completely from most kinds of stimuli, and wait to calm down. It helps if I can smoke.
    After I calm down completely, I'm usually pretty good for a while. Even if the triggers of my anxieties repeat. My brain is usually too exhausted to give a shit, by that point, unless it's really bad.
    Resident Koopa Trash