Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: New Year's Resolutions

Weasyl
    Vae
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    Writers sure are pretentious. That's why I can never get along in writing communities, they all take it so goddamn seriously. Every single story I've ever written I wrote because I felt like it, usually cranked out finished bits in a few days, and was satisfied at the end because I wrote for myself. That's probably the #1 thing I can suggest if you want to get good at writing, write for yourself and don't treat it as srs busines. Unless you're writing smut, then you are doing god's work.

1. Write
    2. Put one word after another. Find the right word, put it down.
    3. Finish what youíre writing. Whatever you have to do to finish it, finish it.
    4. Put it aside. Read it pretending youíve never read it before. Show it to friends whose opinion you respect and who like the kind of thing that this is.
    5. Remember: when people tell you somethingís wrong or doesnít work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.
    6. Fix it. Remember that, sooner or later, before it ever reaches perfection, you will have to let it go and move on and start to write the next thing. Perfection is like chasing the horizon. Keep moving.
    7. Laugh at your own jokes.
    8. The main rule of writing is that if you do it with enough assurance and confidence, youíre allowed to do whatever you like. (That may be a rule for life as well as for writing. But itís definitely true for writing.) So write your story as it needs to be written. Write it *honestly, and tell it as best you can. Iím not sure that there are any other rules. Not ones that matter.
    Those rules are pretentious?

I...
    What?
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    N/A
    Writers sure are pretentious. That's why I can never get along in writing communities, they all take it so goddamn seriously. Every single story I've ever written I wrote because I felt like it, usually cranked out finished bits in a few days, and was satisfied at the end because I wrote for myself. That's probably the #1 thing I can suggest if you want to get good at writing, write for yourself and don't treat it as srs busines. Unless you're writing smut, then you are doing god's work.
    I agree with you on the writing for yourself part, but if I do I'm taking it seriously. Want to write good! It's all too easy to throw words at a page. You have to care a little about the outcome, and the critique of others (if it comes from a dependable source).

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Those rules are pretentious?

I...
    What?
    Helpful tips are automatically pretentious i suppose

1. Write

Thank you for that fine information.

2. Put one word after another. Find the right word, put it down.

Oh, I see, you did like a thing where you reiterated and counted it as another rule... clever.

3. Finish what you’re writing. Whatever you have to do to finish it, finish it.

Bollocks. At least half, probably even most, of my stories have gone unfinished. The destination is not important, it's the journey that matters. You learn and gain experience not through your completed library but through the act of writing, just like you learn to do anything else. If you finish a story, great, but don't force yourself through it. Unless of course you are being paid for it then yeah you're under obligation.

4. Put it aside. Read it pretending you’ve never read it before. Show it to friends whose opinion you respect and who like the kind of thing that this is.

Putting a piece aside is the #1 way to guarantee you will not finish it, I speak from experience.

5. Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.

Not true and again, not true. If people can explain exactly why something is wrong it's because they *do* know what they're talking about, while people who just make up arbitrary rules are talking out of their ass. For instance, you shouldn't begin two sentences in a row with the same word because it breaks the flow of the narrative. That's a specific rule for a specific reason. Don't use adverbs because I don't think they look good, that's a moron trying to sound like they know something.

6. Fix it. Remember that, sooner or later, before it ever reaches perfection, you will have to let it go and move on and start to write the next thing. Perfection is like chasing the horizon. Keep moving.

Fix what, exactly? What does that have to do with moving on? You're not moving on if you're going back and fixing things, striving for perfection. This makes no sense.

7. Laugh at your own jokes.

Be that guy.

8. The main rule of writing is that if you do it with enough assurance and confidence, you’re allowed to do whatever you like. (That may be a rule for life as well as for writing. But it’s definitely true for writing.) So write your story as it needs to be written. Write it *honestly, and tell it as best you can. I’m not sure that there are any other rules. Not ones that matter.

Some of my best work was done when I wasn't sure how to handle the subject matter and I had friends telling me, "Yeah, not sure how you're gonna approach that." If you're only writing things you're confident about, you're never going to challenge yourself or improve. If you act confident about writing anything you want, you're probably not going to write the story as it needs to be written, that is, handling certain subject matter with the grace it requires.

I agree with you on the writing for yourself part, but if I do I'm taking it seriously. Want to write good! It's all too easy to throw words at a page. You have to care a little about the outcome, and the critique of others (if it comes from a dependable source).
    It's hard to convey what I'm talking about. You can take it seriously without taking the writing itself too seriously. Like, when I write fanfiction, I take canon and characterization very seriously. But I don't delude myself, it's just fanfiction. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be like this guy is. So many writers have an ego about their writing, which of course I do too, but I don't laud it over people.

The best way I can describe it is, be like Carl Sagan, not Richard Feynman. Both men were brilliant scientists and had a tremendous amount of respect and enthusiasm for the universe and physics. Both loved to share their passion with others and both gave magnificent illustrations in simple terms how their view of the world worked. Where Sagan had humility though, Feynman was an asshole. Sagan constantly went out of his way to make sure the person he was talking to understood his point without feeling like they were being talked down to. Feynman was the smartest man in the room in every room he walked into and he knew it. He liked to tell people "I told you so" and show them up. Those aren't necessarily too bad, but then he went and wrote a book about all the times he was right and called it Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!

So apply yourself to your craft and share your knowledge with others and always be confident in the things you know you can do and always be challenging yourself to do things you can't, but when you find yourself writing things better than other authors, even established authors, don't go writing a book called I'm in Awe of Your Massive Genius, Mr. Loafy! about all the times you were better than another author.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    In this discussion, TeenageAngst pretends his writing practices are better than Neil Gaiman's.

Weasyl
    Vae
    stuff
    Did you just pretentiously dissect a list of encouragements that completely lines up with the "Do what you want. Have fun. Write for yourself." argument that you were making in your initial post, to begin with?

I don't...
    Okay.
    Sure. Why not.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    N/A
    Well he's proving his own point in a way.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I didn't add this to the list I posted before, I thought it was too embarrassing. But this year I would like to get over my fear of the telephone. I'm working on it, my new job requires using it a lot. So far I'm managing but sometimes I still get anxious and stammer like a pro.

WELP

back to wine

Edit: I started running today. Ow.
    Last edited by Krespo; 01-26-2015 at 04:21 PM.

Weasyl
    PapayaShark
    1. Get a C/4 in math. I suck so badly its ridiculous.

2. Stop the binge/restrict circle I'm stuck in, and start eating healthier.

3. Start exercising again.

Not too unrealistic goals

Weasyl
    N/A
    So, how's everyone doing with their resolutions?

I'm making steady progress in my goals. Healthy eating and good cooking mostly, plus walking everywhere. I'm getting surprisingly good in the kitchen too!