Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: BJD Collector Community

BJD Collector Community

Disclaimer: Moved thread. If you're not a collector, do not post in this thread to piss on people who are, and call it a "discussion." I will consider it fucking trolling and will respond as such. Show respect and be polite like yo mamma taught you. And like the RULES say. Kthanx.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically for anyone here who collects dolls and whatnot. Or who want to, but can't afford it, but maybe one day may save up! They're pretty pricy depending on where you get them from, but there are a TON of places to get dolls, and all of them have a style of their own too. It really depends on what you're looking for.

I may be getting my first one here sometime in January, and am saving up for a while. I plan on grabbing one of the Hujoo dolls to start off with and see how that goes. I actually have a friend who has at least two BJD's by now and I'm still stuck in ancient times. So post away with pictures of the ones you have, or the ones you plan on getting from any websites - I'd love to take a look. I'm pretty new to this whole (rather expensive) hobby. I've been checking out sites and such for about two years, just never got a chance until now. Hujoo is really cheap, I recommend it, and its quality isn't low either! It's perfect for me. :3

Mini FAQ:

• Why collect BJD dolls?
    Some folks, especially writers I've seen, like to make dolls of their characters. They're awesome because they can be posed, painted, modified, and swapped out for other characters with hair, eyes, and clothes. It's customizable.

• How much do they usually go for?
    That's a wide answer, and it depends on the site you get them, whether they're limited or not, face-ups or blanks, and clothing you particularly want on your own. Anywhere from some crazy $1,000 to $35. (Absolute lowest.)

• Where do you buy them?
    All you have to do is search on Google for BJD dolls, and an entire list will usually pop up for you. A few popular ones are Dream of Doll, Doll-Leaves, Hujoo, and Junky Spot. All those listed have wide ranges in prices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TealMoon View Post
    I moved and started fresh. :|
    Last edited by Bonerotique; 12-12-2014 at 04:22 PM.

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    Why'd you quote me with a blank quote?

Just to show I moved threads and that the other one should just be left to die. This is where the discussion will be held now.

Weasyl
    Karla-Chan
    I am glad there is a BJD thread on here! Hopefully we can find more people who also collect them and chat about them! Since that would be cool! I know it is a creative hobby any way, and many of us have artistic talents. However it would be great to chat to other BJD fans who also arts!

Since sometimes I will straight up draw BJDs with joints. I often draw my characters that I have dolls of too. However I do that I a lot.

However lets do this! Where are the BJD collectors at?

Weasyl
    Umbra.Exe

Weasyl
    Karla-Chan
    Sculpting is really hard though and takes most people a long time to do, even if they are very skilled at it. It's no offence something a lot of people say they are going to do, but actually can't because of how hard it is.

However single artists sculptors do exist.

I have seen those dolls actually, not my cup of tea personally. But I do think it is awesome that they have gone for a unique style that stands out, and that they have really expressive face plates. I can imagine people who do like them doing a lot with them.

So I can appreciate them.

My own personal taste is slim MSD girls.

Weasyl
    tapeworm
    I don't collect them, but there's a couple I'd get if I could.

I'm more interested in making them, I make the art dolls with the sewn body so far, but I have wanted to make a bjd for awhile.
    I've been working on making one of This dude

Weasyl
    Karla-Chan
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
    I don't collect them, but there's a couple I'd get if I could.

I'm more interested in making them, I make the art dolls with the sewn body so far, but I have wanted to make a bjd for awhile.
    I've been working on making one of This dude
    I do admit that they are a lot of money, since that put me off at first as well. However we all have our different things. I don't have other expensive hobbies so it is not too bad. Also some companies are cheaper then others.

I see, the design is really cool and good luck with that. If you have had past experience then that is awesome.

Weasyl
    tapeworm
    Yea, I can easily see why they are with how long they take.
    I've heard people say that the sanding on them takes forever and I can believe that. Its taking me awhile to do and I'm not trying to get everything exactly smooth because I'm not gonna be casting it or anything.

This is how they're turning out so far. I started working on them in late last month.
    I'm probably gonna make more, I at least want to make one of my friend's character too.
    Most of the experience I've had with articulating stuff in this style is articulating a bunch of hands for a couple of dolls. I think I have pictures of both of them in my gallery somewhere.

Weasyl
    Karla-Chan
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
    Yea, I can easily see why they are with how long they take.
    I've heard people say that the sanding on them takes forever and I can believe that. Its taking me awhile to do and I'm not trying to get everything exactly smooth because I'm not gonna be casting it or anything.

This is how they're turning out so far. I started working on them in late last month.
    I'm probably gonna make more, I at least want to make one of my friend's character too.
    Most of the experience I've had with articulating stuff in this style is articulating a bunch of hands for a couple of dolls. I think I have pictures of both of them in my gallery somewhere.
    You have come really far. To be honest though I know nothing about sculpting that much. I have friends who make dolls and even sell them. However it is a skill set I don't have. I am just a collector really, and my mine artistic input into it is the photography. Although I base my dolls of characters, ones that I have often drawn.