Weasyl
    Vae

Wanting new laptop for Christmas. Looking for advice / suggestions. (Resolved.)

Because I don't understand much of anything when it comes to the little technical specs for computers.
    Like at all.
    You might as well be speaking Chinese to me.

I want something that is good for art (meaning showing all the colors and contrast and stuff accurately), would be capable of streaming on Picarto or Livestream or what have you without locking up, and can run Photoshop without freezing.
    I also want to be able to play the Sims 3 on it.

$500 USD as the absolute maximum I can afford.
    But the cheaper, the better.

Needs to have USB ports (my tablet / mouse / card reader) and a headphone port.

I have my eye on this, for $400, but I'm not sure if this is a good deal or not:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-As....122063.0.html
    Last edited by Vae; 12-26-2014 at 06:38 PM.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    I just recently got a Toshiba Satellite C55-B5270 on eBay and it works nicely
    I can't really suggest anything cause I don't know much about computers, but I was told by a friend who does, that this is a good laptop.

Weasyl
    Noxid
    For that price range, it'll be hard to find something that's both a laptop and can perform how you want. The main hurdle to overcome is that low-mid end laptops usually come with integrated graphics cuz' it's cheaper and they are also generally not that powerful. So multimedia performance suffers.
    The one you linked is interesting in that it actually does have dedicated graphics. It might be able to run all that you want but you could see some sluggishness starting up.

I don't really have anything to recommend though. It seems like an okay pick.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Sluggishness on startup doesn't really bother me, as long as it works when I want to stream or run Photoshop or whatever.
    Display is also one of my biggest priorities, since this is going to be an art machine.

I'm also looking at this

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...=OCE-102761698

But I can find absolutely no reviews on it for some reason, so I have no idea what the display is like.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Runefox
    I find Acer screens tend to be oversaturated. An APU is probably the best compromise for you, but the A6's CPU performance is probably not good enough to really handle streaming very reliably. It's not really an easy task to find what you're looking for in the under $500 price bracket, but http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834317602 would probably be a little closer to ideal.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Found one for $550 for post-Christmas deals.
    Acer, i5 processor, 1TB HD, 8GB ram (with 16GB capability).
    Normally $700.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions, though. I do appreciate it.
    Resident Koopa Trash