Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    TealMoon
    If you get stuff from roadkill aren't you worried about rabies?

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by TealMoon View Post
    If you get stuff from roadkill aren't you worried about rabies?
    Always, but I'm also scared of rabies when dealing with animals trapped or hunted.
    Rabies cannot survive in direct sunlight, but it's still pretty hardy and can survive even being frozen. For the most part, you're not going to get rabies unless you've been bit by a live animal or you're rolling around in the blood of a dead, rabid animal.
    I've had a few rabies scares, with the most recent involving a raccoon;
    I was skinning it out and it was going well up until the end, when I took my gloves off. I realized that my hands were wet and I had open cuts in my fingers (not from skinning, but from something else entirely). I panicked because I thought I cut my glove open and blood may have got inside, but I'm still alive and okay because the moisture turned out to be sweat.
    Just wear good gloves (nitrile is the best), keep your knife sharp, and don't touch your face or mouth.

The risk of getting Lyme Disease is greater than rabies. Ticks are pretty damn small when they've got no blood in them, and they can easily crawl up your arm without you feeling them or noticing them. Once they've attached, they drink and can release Lyme Disease (although it's believed that a tick must be attached for at least 8 hours to pass Lyme), and then they fall off without you even noticing them.

Another thing you need to worry about with roadkill (raccoon in particular) is roundworm. The eggs can become dried and airborne, and so you need to wear a mask to cover your face. The raccoon I skinned out was absolutely packed with worms, it was horrifying.

However, trappers and hunters all over the world still skin out raccoons and other various dead animals with no issues (some of them are even ballsy enough to skin bare-handed. Why they do this, I have no idea).

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    I highly recommend the Skullery shop on Etsy, it's where my Fiance got my Short-Nosed Fruit Bat skull necklace (It's a resin replica). I'm not much into having furs but I love bones and complete taxidermy pieces. There's a local store here called Natural Selection that is run by an awesome lady and her mother doing taxidermy I recently bought a beautiful Horseshoe Bat from.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    The Skullery is awesome and I recommend them as well
    I've been wanting to purchase a budgie skull necklace from them

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    Just took a look and they are very nice. And to too expensive. :3

I had no idea this was something people did. Im both disturbed and intrigued.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    We like to go by the term "vulture culture", it's a new term that is very quickly catching on, and it includes taxidermists, hunters, trappers, people who work with roadkill, clean bones, buy animal parts, etc.
    We're called "vulture culture" because it originated with people who worked with roadkill, who took what would normally rot on the side of the road, and cleaned it up into something nice

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    It's not the nicest term perhaps, but then dead things isn't very nice all of the time either.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    But vultures are badass, what's not to like about em?