Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Placebo

Bone/Fur Collectors?

Any bone or fur collectors out there? Sure it's an odd hobby and isn't exactly taxidermy, but still. I quite enjoy it.

My collection of bones and furs right now include:

-One raccoon skull
    -One squirrel skull
    -One coyote skull
    -Two wolf tails
    -Multiple deer bones
    -Multiple cow bones

I'm actually hoping to add on to my collection as I continue to explore around. I have a bad habit of going ahead and stuffing any bones I find in my pockets.

So, anyone else out there with this odd hobby? Possibly taxidermy? Jewelry making? I'm curious to know

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    This is my calling....

Fur pelts:
    Coyote, red fox, raccoon, skunk, rabbits, 2 squirrels, fox cub
    Fur tails:
    Coyote, silver fox, arctic fox, tanuki, kit fox, bobcat,
    Fur Misc:
    Cat paws, squirrel paws
    Skulls:
    Cat, rabbit, short-tailed shrew, 2x raccoon, Pit Bull, coyote, bobcat, kit fox, swift fox, opossum, skunk, red fox (resin spotted hyena cast is in the mail)
    Bones Misc:
    Cat skeleton, raccoon skeleton, cat arm skeleton(?), fish jaw, WTD antlers, single antler, cat jaw, squirrel bones, raccoon scapula
    Taxidermy:
    2x WTD, black bear cub, 2x large trout (I think), rainbow trout, some sort of black duck, Chukar partridge, bufflehead duck, female teal-winged duck, ruddy duck, chinese goose
    Preserved:
    Cat heart, couple mice, 5 baby opossums, rabbit heart, rabbit tongue

Working on my trapper's license and I should have a lot more.
    I don't really "do anything" with the things I have, I just collect them.

As an avid hunter, I have compiled multiple pelts, skulls, horns and the like. At the moment, I can recall parts I have of white-tailed deer, striped skunk, muskrat, red fox, swamp and cottontail rabbits.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    http://imgur.com/a/Jv6GU

!!!!!!came today!!!!!

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    Do you guys know a good place to get skulls on the cheap? (Real or fake, doesn't matter)

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by TealMoon View Post
    Do you guys know a good place to get skulls on the cheap? (Real or fake, doesn't matter)
    Check out eBay, Etsy, furhideandbone on Livejournal, and Taxidermy.net forums.
    Make absolute sure you know the laws for where you live, and be wary of any sellers who are selling African species or who are located in Africa
    Animals like wolves and such cannot be purchased without the proper paperwork (CITES). If a seller is selling a wolf skull or a leopard, lion, hawk, etc without paperwork or says it's not needed, run far away.

Remember that birds of prey are off-limits in the USA, stay away from any raptor parts.

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    Looks like it'll be plastic for a lot of what I need.
    Thanks for the info.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Yeah I know that feel
    I would like to get a resin tiger or lion skull to go with my hyena...
    maybe when I've got the $$ again

skullreplica on ebay sells nice replicas!

Weasyl
    Deo
    I live between the World's Largest Truck Stop and the Mississippi River. Classy.
    I have a lot of non-documented illegal exotics, gotten in non-harmful ways. (Since I worked at a zoo and for the animal hospital in charge of zoo animals alive and dead.) All natural deaths, but yeah since none were bought there is no paperwork or whatever else I'd need.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by Deo View Post
    I have a lot of non-documented illegal exotics, gotten in non-harmful ways. (Since I worked at a zoo and for the animal hospital in charge of zoo animals alive and dead.) All natural deaths, but yeah since none were bought there is no paperwork or whatever else I'd need.
    Not quite true.
    You should still register them with the state/government to prove where you got them. If someone says "Deo has a lion skull" and the DNR comes to your house, they'll consider you an animal parts trafficker with illegal animal parts, which can come with a felony charge and prison time.
    I would suggest contacting CITES and asking them what the necessary course is to register your animal parts, because if they are indeed "illegal exotics", it's illegal to own them without the proper paperwork, and it doesn't mean you can own them if you didn't purchase them. A zoo would definitely be able to provide you with the necessary paperwork.
    Using the migratory bird law in the states as an example, you can go to prison and get fined thousands of $$ if you keep an eagle talon or some feathers from an owl, even if you literally did find them on the ground in a field. The reason for this is that they can't prove you didn't kill that animal for those parts, and they can't prove that you didn't purchase them from a black market dealer.

To put it into perspective, I have to register all roadkill that I find and keep with the government. If I find a dead raccoon and take it's paw or whatever, I have to register that with the government, and print out the documents and keep them. That's just for a raccoon on the side of the road - imagine if it were a tiger part someone gave me.
    Last edited by Gamedog; 12-11-2014 at 11:16 PM.