Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    RedSavage
    Damn. On top of it. Weasyl site staff are a buncha ballers.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #22

Weasyl
    Fayv
    I have the comments which do not pertain directly with the discussion of staff's actions and the site policy. We have warned twice not to discuss what The User should and should not have done, and at this point these discussions are detrimental to the overall goal of these threads to better inform our users about Weasyl.

Future comments that get off topic in order to focus on The User, their choices in this matter, or how they should have handled the events in the past will also be removed and the poster will be issued an infraction.

- - - Updated - - -

Thread re-open. I am sorry for the temporary closure and wanted to be sure the thread could be cleared without disruption quickly and efficiently.

Again, please keep this discussion to questions regarding staff policies.
    Last edited by Fay V; 11-30-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Sorry about that Fay, I slipped up a bit and it won't happen again.

On topic: It's my understanding that the staff member in question had been banned from the site. Is there any chance that said staff member may still have access to private material? (For example, emails, notes/private messages, passwords to other areas of Weasyl where confidential information is held)
    I'm sorry if this has already been answered, I'm a little confused as to what "sensitive information" entails.

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    I guess sorry if I came off as a tremendous douche nozzle. I do empathize with The User---but I guess I'm low on tactfulness. Anyhow. Moving on.

I feel that the definition of a Callout is what's mainly at play here. I feel that any sort of description of another individual's vilifying behavior coupled with their identity regardless of where said identity is, or what the intent of the description is, is very well a call out, as well as direct links to said content.

Am I wrong here on this?

Weasyl
    ChaosCalix
    Haven't read through the entire thread thanks to my limited time, but I did read a fair bit, and I just wanted to make an account and post to say I really appreciate and support the professionalism and transparency that the Weasyl staff has displayed in regards to these issues.

A strong and welcoming staff presence is a great thing, especially for a community as young as this one. Keep up your great work everyone.

I'm of the opinion that Weasyl is in the right here. I think that enforcing the rules fairly, no matter the content of any journal that technically violates them, is one thing that should help Weasyl stand apart from the competition. It's one thing I've noticed several other sites fail on.

The fact that you all even attempted to help them coerce their journal back within the bounds of the rules goes to show you are trying to go above and beyond what you needed to do (many staff teams would just go "get rid of it or we will") to help your users.

My question: If there's no direct link, but a user says "the info is on my tumblr" and somewhere on their profile they have a generic link to their tumblr (as many people do) is that still in violation?

Weasyl
    ChaosCalix
    Quote Originally Posted by Socks the Fox View Post
    My question: If there's no direct link, but a user says "the info is on my tumblr" and somewhere on their profile they have a generic link to their tumblr (as many people do) is that still in violation?
    My understanding of it is that, as long as no link is given on the journal in question, and no direct link is given elsewhere that is within easy reach (i.e. a direct link to the name-and-shame on their profile), it is within bounds of the rules.

As Term stated in line 61 of the pastebin log:
    that requires a bit more snooping on someone's part then "click here to see my rapist"
    Last edited by ChaosCalix; 11-30-2014 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Clarified what I mean by "no link is given"

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #28

Weasyl
    Fayv
    @ Gamedog

The staff member in question has not been banned but has been removed from staff and all staff access has been removed. There is
    no chance this ex-staff member has access to any private information.

Additionally, even with a moderator account the moderator would not have access to notes as we do not provide site staff with tools to access notes they did not send or receive

They would have access to the staff chat where normal ticket work and site discussion takes place, admin logs require admin access, the passwords for such areas are behind many more doors (I will not be completely transparent here for concern of site security)

The point overall, is user info is not at risk, the most sensitive information that a moderator may see is profile information and the email used for the site.

@RedSavage

A call out is a description or immediate reference to draw negative attention to a specific individual (whether it uses an alias or a legal name)

@sock the Fox

If they say "the info is on my tumblr" that is fine as long as they do not directly link to a post which calls out the other individual.

Weasyl
    RogueSareth
    I heard about this on Tumblr ( The User made a pot about it there that was reblogged by someone I follow) the post only contained a basic rundown of the situation so I withheld forming an opinion until more was know. I was not, however, expecting to log in today and actually find a notification about this forum thread, and for the staff to be so upfront, transparent and honest ( used to the not so great behaviour of mods/admins on ....Other Sites) and I've got to say its really refreshing and really bolsters my faith in this site and its staff.

I think the staff is handling this very well, and I think those who choose to leave based on this one situation ( and probably assumptions about being like...Other Sites) without looking at all the information made a hasty decision.

I hope Weasyl continues on this road of openness with its users, which has already made it stand out on its own.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Oh! Sorry, I was confused.
    Thank you, that's a load off my mind That's all I have to ask for now