Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    And that's why I told armaina that I feel her logic comes across as "you need to be happy and perfect all the time" as it still does to me, personally. Because people will misinterpret anything Term had said as something malicious. Any negative statement would be misconstrued so the only way to avoid that would be to keep quiet altogether and not get frustrated. Someone somewhere would be upset no matter what he said as long as it was negative.
    I think you're misinterpreting what Armaina was saying. I took from her explanation not that everyone should be happy and perfect all the time, but rather that if they do or say something that ends up being hurtful, that responsibility should be taken for that action. Which means not brushing off people who've been hurt by it, but instead apologizing for the unintentional pain caused. Which is exactly what Term did.

It's a matter of accountability, not putting on a constant perfect facade.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #62
    Weasyl
    armaina
    Quote Originally Posted by KattoTang View Post
    I think you're misinterpreting what Armaina was saying. I took from her explanation not that everyone should be happy and perfect all the time, but rather that if they do or say something that ends up being hurtful, that responsibility should be taken for that action. Which means not brushing off people who've been hurt by it, but instead apologizing for the unintentional pain caused. Which is exactly what Term did.

It's a matter of accountability, not putting on a constant perfect facade.
    Yep! Spot on. Thanks!

Weasyl
    Storm
    Alright, so I read the log and also many - but not all - replies here as well. I am by no means completely aware of every details but from what I can see, the staff just have proven two things: One, is that they are "humans" too, and second, that they have the best intentions and know how to handle problems.

Drama happens all the time, you can't always avoid it. but what's important is how you handle it, how you learn from it, and how are you moving forward into a brighter future.

Keep up the good work guys!

Weasyl
    Antosaurus
    Serious props to the staff for how they handled this, honestly. Rules are rules are rules and they shouldn't be expected to back down under any circumstances so the fact they have tried to be kind and help figure out compromises is seriously just an added bonus.

I also took Term's comments at absolute face value (I guess I'm not good at picking up on sarcasm without inflection to back it up) what he said was true, not a joke. It IS an art site, not a vent/call out site. I think it's awesome of him to own up to it and apologize but personally I really didn't think he needed to considering he was stating a rather obvious (if poorly worded) fact.
    Last edited by Antosaurous; 12-03-2014 at 07:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Weasyl
    Storm
    Quote Originally Posted by Antosaurous View Post
    what he said was true, not a joke. It IS an art site, not a vent/call out site. I think it's awesome of him to own up to it and apologize but personally I really didn't think he needed to considering he was stating a rather obvious (if poorly worded) fact.
    I absolutely agree on that.

Even tho we can understand why someone would want to give out that kinds of warning on this site, it is not what it is for. It's like going to the theater and start collecting signatures to ban nuclear weapons, in the middle of the play - it is really not the time and place to do that, however good your intentions may be.

They didn't have to try and help the person in rewording that journal, they didn't have to give them a chance or anything, it's not their job, yet, they did it which is an act of compassion, and they got back a single word "no" as a response... I would have been mad as well in their shoes, if I've gone way further than my responsibility requires in order to try and help, and get a slap in the face in return.

You can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped.
    - Storm ~ "Sic itur ad astra per aspera." [Commission info]

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    One thing I'm still failing to understand is why a staff member has been forced to apologize for something said while stressed, in private, and that was leaked.
    I swear on Skype all the time, should I have to apologize for anything I say?

*leak occurs*

[5:08:02 PM] GD: God I hate that guy

oops, what about now? Suddenly my private interactions are being put under the spotlight to he judged. I stand by wht I said, nothing Term said was discriminatory or biased in any way. He made a point and he made it in a sarcastic manner. The outrage over this private chatlog is over the top, in my opinion.

Like I said
    eggshells.

Weasyl
    Ransom
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    One thing I'm still failing to understand is why a staff member has been forced to apologize for something said while stressed, in private, and that was leaked.
    Nobody forced an apology; it was the polite thing to do, and helps diffuse the situation. Being both crass and obstinate isn't a good combination for public relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Community Guidelines Section II.H.2
    Journals may not be used to slander, defame, or otherwise call out anyone, regardless of whether or not they are a Weasyl user.
    Quote Originally Posted by Community Guidelines Section III.A.6
    Here at Weasyl, it is important that all our users behave in a courteous manner when interacting with one another. As such, do not engage in the following practices or encourage others to do so: [...] Linking to or otherwise making available items otherwise prohibited by Weasyl Terms of Service or prohibited elsewhere within the Community Guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendikins View Post
    The sections quoted above were added as part of the Community Guidelines and Ratings Guidelines updates published on June 16, 2014.
    I have a couple of questions for the administration, for the sake of clarification:
    1. Does that mean that prior to June 16th, 2014, call-out journals were allowed under the terms of service?
    2. Is that change in policy retroactive?
    Last edited by Ransom; 12-03-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Nobody forced an apology; it was the polite thing to do, and helps diffuse the situation.
    Ehhhh I don't think so. I've seen the shit flung at Weasyl, their hand was forced in my opinion.

Weasyl
    ChaosCalix
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    Ehhhh I don't think so. I've seen the shit flung at Weasyl, their hand was forced in my opinion.
    I kinda agree with you. It wasn't required, but honestly, it was clear that they had little choice on the matter if they wanted to keep positive public relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    I have a couple of questions for the administration, for the sake of clarification:
    1. Does that mean that prior to June 16th, 2014, call-out journals were allowed under the terms of service?
    2. Is that change in policy retroactive?
    General procedure is that if a rule is added onto a site, all things prior are allowed unless stated in the rules itself that it is retroactive. If they're reported after the rules are added, then it's usually up to the staff's discretion to remove it or not. Weasyl may operate differently though.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #70

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Only forced in that we saw people genuinely upset by the statement. One can take a cynical view and claim it is an apology purely for PR relations, but that's not really what this was.

We've talked about how apologizing for offending someone is not required but it's nice. I say things in my office when i'm pissed off, but if I learned that my office mate were insulted or took something I said as offensive I would apologize. Because it's recognition that I made her uncomfortable and while I may still defend my venting I didn't intend to be hurtful to someone else.

The fact is Term's comments did offend some and make them uncomfortable. The intent was not hurtful and apologizing was in part a gesture to show that the act of making someone uncomfortable is regrettable.

As dor the rules, no call out journals were never allowed, the date of June 16th is the last time the CG was updated so even if it were changed it has been up as a rule since june at least.