Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    ErithacusRou
    Very nicely handled. I and many other users very much appreciate the transparency. I notice not only the effort to apologize for inappropriate emotional reactions to situations like these, but also the willingness to help the user change the journal to keep it up, instead of just taking it down with just a point in the direction of the TOS. It's refreshing to see site staff behaving in a friendly way towards other users as opposed to the "remove all offenses; no discussion" tactic that most sites take. This site really stands out with its interactions with its userbase.

I personally believe the policy on callouts is fine as-is; keeps everyone safe and out of liability without hampering users' ability to warn others. Thank you for being firm but kind, and opening this discussion with the public!

It's a complicated issue. From what I can understand, The User hacked into a staff account to alert others about a rapist?

On one hand, I believe that the only ones with the ability to lock an admin out of their account are the other staff members. They're above us other users for a reason, and they get the final word on everything. We don't. I believe the reason The User was punished didn't necessarily have to do with why they did it.

On the other hand, I also believe that conventions are a very dangerous place, and that people should be warned if someone potentially dangerous is in the area. I want people to stay safe, and I believe that was The User's intent, too. But I'm not sure how I'd personally go about doing it. Callouts can be tricky. Some callouts are real, some are fake and only aim to harm someone innocent, some are real and go beyond what's okay in retaliation (i.e. people threatening to harm the accused's family, who were uninvolved/unaware of what happened). And I don't entirely know Weasyl or Tumblr's protocol when legal issues get involved.

(Although I agree, if someone says "link in my blog", they should link to their blog. Especially if they don't specify whether they mean Blogspot, LJ, or Tumblr, or if they have multiple usernames.)

I have not even an inkling of an idea who The User and The Accused might be, but I will believe The User was sexually abused, until proven otherwise. And I hope they can get the therapy they need to get past this traumatic event.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #33

Weasyl
    Fayv
    To clarify, there was no "hacking"

The User posted a journal on their own account and linked to off site material naming another user. We asked for these links to be removed as they went against the current call-out policy. Everything is laid out in the first post, but of note The User was not punished and will not be punished. The only action that will be taken on the account in regard to this event is the journal will be removed if the changes are not made as requested to the journal.

The staff account "compromise" was not a hacking. We believe the staff member acted of their own volition. Even if said staff member was not the agent acting and the account was compromised, it would have been a case of password compromise, not a problem in the code.

I find this rather funny... People, this is something that's been around since FA began. You guys should know well enough not to do Callout journals. It should be common sense at this point; did you think you could come to a new site and do things you couldn't on the other and think it would be okay? O.o

I commend the team of Weasyl for their efforts but I also feel that you guys should know this stuff already. >.<

Then again, Weasyl team. Didn't you already have something regarding callout journals in your ToS? If not... O.o Same words go out to you guys too. Anyways, keep up the hard work guys and gals and hopefully people understand that this is an art site and not a teen drama site.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #35

Weasyl
    Hendikins
    Quote Originally Posted by Xinnova View Post
    Then again, Weasyl team. Didn't you already have something regarding callout journals in your ToS?
    Sections II.H.2 and III.A.6 of the Community Guidelines are relevant here:

Quote Originally Posted by Community Guidelines Section II.H.2
    Journals may not be used to slander, defame, or otherwise call out anyone, regardless of whether or not they are a Weasyl user.
    Quote Originally Posted by Community Guidelines Section III.A.6
    Here at Weasyl, it is important that all our users behave in a courteous manner when interacting with one another. As such, do not engage in the following practices or encourage others to do so: [...] Linking to or otherwise making available items otherwise prohibited by Weasyl Terms of Service or prohibited elsewhere within the Community Guidelines.
    The sections quoted above were added as part of the Community Guidelines and Ratings Guidelines updates published on June 16, 2014.
    Last edited by Hendikins; 12-01-2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Insert word "updates"

Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    The staff account "compromise" was not a hacking. We believe the staff member acted of their own volition. Even if said staff member was not the agent acting and the account was compromised, it would have been a case of password compromise, not a problem in the code.
    Ah, I misread the post. My deepest apologies, I hope I can be forgiven.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    We believe the staff member acted of their own volition.
    Sounds like a fun situation.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    Cerelia
    I guess I'll add in my two cents; there seems to be an awful lot of negativity, which I personally find needless, about this whole ordeal.
    I am actually glad staff acted as they did, even if some comments did seem rude (to be fair, I'm awful at telling what is rude and what isn't) and didn't bend the rules for just one person, and I feel that people leaving over this is sorta silly. thanks for not pushing this under the rug like so many site auth would do and actually addressing this.
    so here's where people would keep inspirational things but like

lemme tell you something you can look at that's real inspirational yeah

a mirror

wow man look at that prolly gorgeous huh

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Ehh to be honest, I don't think that the comments made in the IRC chat were rude. Staff get stressed out, they vent, we ALL do.. and if you say you've never said something along the lines of "Jesus Christ I want to punch this person in the face" when on the internet, you're lying.

The IRC chatroom was private for staff, those words weren't a big deal and did not affect the outcome of the situation, they didn't change the way the staff treated that user and they were still treated fairly. It would be a lot different in my opinion if the staff were saying those things or acting discriminately towards users to their faces (or having their private, angry words apply to how they handled users), but something along the lines of "God this person is irritating me" is something to be expected from any user and any staff on any site at any period of time.

That's the way it works, we're people and we get aggravated - that doesn't mean the staff dislike a certain person or will treat that person differently.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Xinnova View Post
    I find this rather funny... People, this is something that's been around since FA began. You guys should know well enough not to do Callout journals. It should be common sense at this point; did you think you could come to a new site and do things you couldn't on the other and think it would be okay? O.o

I commend the team of Weasyl for their efforts but I also feel that you guys should know this stuff already. >.<

Then again, Weasyl team. Didn't you already have something regarding callout journals in your ToS? If not... O.o Same words go out to you guys too. Anyways, keep up the hard work guys and gals and hopefully people understand that this is an art site and not a teen drama site.
    Hm? So you're suggesting everyone here's from FA? I find this rather funny given Weasyl stands on its own, regardless if there's some members from the other site. But yep, common sense for everybody not to do callouts.

More OT: Though I haven't really followed this very closely and would rather watch this unfold from afar, I think the weasyl staff has done an exceptional job at sticking with their own rules and letting everyone in on what's happening. Really shows how hard it is to run a site, always gotta be on the ball!