Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes
    Props to the staff for being professional in dealing with this situation and sticking to the site rules under pressure.

Weasyl
    ChaosCalix
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    Ehh to be honest, I don't think that the comments made in the IRC chat were rude. Staff get stressed out, they vent, we ALL do.. and if you say you've never said something along the lines of "Jesus Christ I want to punch this person in the face" when on the internet, you're lying.

The IRC chatroom was private for staff, those words weren't a big deal and did not affect the outcome of the situation, they didn't change the way the staff treated that user and they were still treated fairly. It would be a lot different in my opinion if the staff were saying those things or acting discriminately towards users to their faces (or having their private, angry words apply to how they handled users), but something along the lines of "God this person is irritating me" is something to be expected from any user and any staff on any site at any period of time.

That's the way it works, we're people and we get aggravated - that doesn't mean the staff dislike a certain person or will treat that person differently.
    Gotta agree with you.

Every site where I've been on the site staff, or advising for the staff, this happens all the time. It's only when it begins to influence their decisions that they need a smack on the wrist and told to straighten themselves up, which thankfully isn't all too often on websites with a good team, like Weasyl :3

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    I'm also going to agree in that I think the staff is doing a stellar job here. Perhaps the bits Term is being called out for were a bit more frank than some would like, but I just overlooked it myself.

I mean usually when you want to get a message out like that you have to be excruciatingly careful to find a way to go about it so you can not explicitly break the rules. In this instance, the Staff even were telling The User how to go about it so it wouldn't be a problem anymore. It seems to me this shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    You know, I don't think anyone should consider what was being said "unprofessional" because that implies that it was ever intended to be part of Staff-to-User interaction. Basically---no one was meant to see those chat logs. No one needed to see them, and they were posted completely out of context.

I'd liken it to a break room in any given establishment. You go in the front door to the desk, everyone is all smiles, and they're going to do their job well. DAMN well. Everyone is polite, uses nice language, and everything is cool. So---one day someone sneaks a camera into the break room. And, GASP. That girl at the front desk! She just used foul language. And gasp. That guy who helped with the paper work, he's doing a silly imitation of a guy who came in and yelled at everyone! How dare they be unprofessional in their own time and in a private place where no one is supposed to stick their nose.

Basically, everyone is allowed to use sarcasm, exasperation, and off the cuff expressions to get across their exasperation with other people--except staff members in their own private areas? Think about that. If your boss told you, "You have to always smile and put on your best face when interacting with a customer--and while in the break room. And while in the break room! Even while you're in your car you need to have your customer pleasing attitude. Because they could always be watching."

This is unrealistic, imho. I mean---heck. You know presidents? Those super nice guys that come on the TV and talk about all sorts of stuff in their most patriotic voice lined with optimism for the future? Do you really think those guys sit in the oval office and never talk shit about the dumb country their trying to run? Heck, I'd be swearing daily about this and that democrat/republican, or congress, or supreme court, or how ABC/Fox news took my latest quote out of context completely.

Put this in perspective. This was not "on the sales floor" interactions. This was casual interactions between staff. And despite this---they still apologized, even though they had every right not too.

And that's some humility right there. That's some down in the dirt humility and not something you see hardly anywhere.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    "I don't think anyone should consider what was being said "unprofessional" because that implies that it was ever intended to be part of Staff-to-User interaction. Basically---no one was meant to see those chat logs. No one needed to see them, and they were posted completely out of context. "

This, 110%

If you're doing your job well, and someone comes in and says "this person said 'a customer today was a real douche' on Facebook!" you'd find it pretty damn unfair that they're leaking shit from your private, protected Facebook and using it to discredit you as a stand-up employee, whose opinions of customers do not effect your work ethic.

Weasyl
    BasementZombie
    i'd like to make a quick comment here.

the reason people found the "sex offender registry" comment offensive wasn't because it was unprofessional. it was found offensive because it could easily be taken as a rape joke, one that downplays the significance of rape at that. i don't blame anyone for feeling uncomfortable at it, especially if it was posted by a mod.

i do appreciate that term apologized for the comment, but i think more people need to understand why the comment was bad in the first place, regardless of the location it was posted.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #47
    Weasyl
    armaina
    Speaking as an individual, even if it's 'behind the curtain' venting, I don't think it's wrong for people to expect us to take responsibility for it, not only in this individual case, but in any similar situation. I, and a lot of others get really tired of people using 'too bad I said it after hours' as an excuse to not be held responsible for saying some really awful things (far worse than what was vented here) so that's... really not a good argument and an utterly thoughtless one at that.

Time and time again many individuals, especially those in any form of minority, will see micro-aggressions escalate to full blown bigoted and terrifying acts. They literally have no idea what the person's 'true thoughts' are and if it ever does seep into how they view other people. Because honestly, if you do not know these people and you don't know their history, it absolutely looks like the venting is implying that there is some underlying dismissal about the journal's content, or even about the user themselves. And for a person that's had their trust abused time and time again? Going "but I didn't mean it that way" is something you hear all the time, with no sincerity, how can they afford to trust it this time?

Yeah, people can say some ugly things when they're frustrated, and probably everyone's been guilty of it. But at the same time, people are allowed to be afraid of that frustration, they are allowed to be scared or angry for their lives and well-being because it happens all the time.

Now, in regard to this instance specifically while many of you noticed the statements made in the logs as ill-spoken things in a time where people were frustrated and feeling cornered about what to do, I really don't think it's fair to belittle or dismiss the people that were frightened or concerned about the things said and the intent behind it. Because they genuinely do not know, and many of them are not in a position where they can afford to give those 'maybe's.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    I don't know, I understand where you are coming from but I think it's always reasonable to ask someone to clarify what they meant by that. We should all be patient with one another, is that not the reason for this?

Edit: Note, I'm not interested in wading into a situation I have little knowledge of and no part in. I'm just making a simple statement based around the idea we should all attempt to understand each other a little better in this limited medium.

Weasyl
    RedSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by armaina View Post
    Speaking as an individual, even if it's 'behind the curtain' venting, I don't think it's wrong for people to expect us to take responsibility for it, not only in this individual case, but in any similar situation. I, and a lot of others get really tired of people using 'too bad I said it after hours' as an excuse to not be held responsible for saying some really awful things (far worse than what was vented here) so that's... really not a good argument and an utterly thoughtless one at that.
    No no I'm not saying that it's wrong to own up to it. I mean--it was said. People found out. People got irked. It already happened. Best thing to do is to own up to it.

Really, it's more of a critique on the user base. They shouldn't expect everyone to be faultless and to have (gasp) their own feelings on things, both negative and positive. People really need to think about that and realize that staff isn't some anonymous set of robot interactions somewhere. They're people and are allowed to make mistakes.

Besides, I'm just a firm believe in that one chooses to take offense to something. Those comments were pretty harmless and not meant to directly insult anyway. Just because they "can" be read that way doesn't mean you "have" to.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    Hmmmm. I can't agree on that, personally. Especially in the case of Term's comments. I interpret that logic as saying we need to be constantly happy and perfect all the time. That's just not possible for anyone. I still appreciate him apologizing just because it showed his integrity as a staff member, but I don't feel he should have been forced to do so.
    I'm sure you all put up with a LOT and to say you shouldn't vent? Behind closed doors at that? I feel that's not at all fair to any of you.
    It could go either way depending. There was one instance where an off-duty cop was going off on Obama and calling him a nigger in a bar or something. That's a bit concerning because that reflects his character. Like, how can you trust him not to be biased?

Then there's this case where, imo, the comment didn't come off as a rape joke to me. Seems more of an exasperation of how far they seem to be expected to go.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.