Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Noxid

Weasyl Enhancer extension

Hi dudes and doodles!
    In response to some claims that there are features that Weasyl's UI is lacking in, and because I will jump at any opportunity to procrastinate while still feeling like I'm accomplishing something, I've put together a couple scripts to enrich the weasyl browsing experience. Currently, there are two Fun Features you can enjoy:

Thumbnail Previews

Hover over a thumbnail for a second and a preview box will load showing up to 50 words of the description and the tags, as well as the submitter's avatar. After a preview has been loaded, the next time you mouse-over the thumb it will appear immediately.

Expandable Submissions

Personal annoyance of mine is that sometimes, very large submissions will be taller than my screen. So, I have to either zoom out or view the original submission file to see the whole thing at once. With this, significantly tall submissions will be resized to approximately the height of your browser window, and a button is added to allow you to view the larger size.

Search Builder

A form to help you make more powerful searches in case you forget what all the different modifiers are.

Folder nav buttons

Additional folder navigation buttons on submissions so you don't have to scroll as far

The addon has an option menu you can use to tweak just what you want it to display, accessible from the extension/addon management page in your browser.

The GitHub repo is here:
    https://github.com/taedixon/WeasylPreviews .

On the chrome store:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...eniojhhkondccl
    On the firefox addon place:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...asyl-enhancer/

umm... well, if people think it's useful I might keep working on it. Let me know if you have issues so I can tell you you're Doing It Wrong.
    Last edited by Noxid; 04-08-2015 at 06:04 PM. Reason: more features

Weasyl
    N/A
    It appears this doesn't work for "character submissions", and journals (which don't need a preview anyways)
    Regardless of that, thanks for the effort! Now I can see tags, without having to view the image! C:

Weasyl
    Swanda
    Ohh, very nice <3

︵*-‘Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth’-*︵

Weasyl
    Noxid
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk2288 View Post
    It appears this doesn't work for "character submissions", and journals (which don't need a preview anyways)
    Regardless of that, thanks for the effort! Now I can see tags, without having to view the image! C:
    Yeah, unfortunately the Weasyl API doesn't have an endpoint for "Characters", just "Submissions". So, I don't have an easy way to get information on them right now. Same story with journals, although tbh I mostly forgot about those which is why they have the same error message.

But hey, glad it's working out for ya! It can be tricky to tell sometimes, with just thumbnails alone...

Weasyl
    Noxid
    Firefox addon version of the extension completed!
    Previews are now available to those that wish to use "the other browser".

The app has recently been submitted for preliminary review, so it requires a clickthrough warning for the next few days until that finishes. But, it's the same stuff that's in the chrome version so it should go through ok.

Weasyl
    Noxid
    You mean SoFurry right? Because I've never seen FA do that :v

Anyway.. as far as programming it, I doubt it'd be too hard, however it'd necessitate basically loading the whole image and that may not be ideal for someone with slow internet like DSL (such as me lol) cuz then you'd have to wait longer for your previews.
    It'd be nice if it was an optional feature you could tick on/off.
    I'll see about adding an "options" page to the extension, I know it's not too hard on chrome but I'm not super familiar with how firefox addons work. And there I could also add some other stuff like whether you want large submissions to be fullsize or small by default, and enable more specific enhancements.

Weasyl
    Storm
    First of all, nice work! Thanks for taking the time and effort!

I personally would REALLY love th medium thumbnail on hover, I think it's much more useful than the tags - this however doesn't mean you couldn't have both the thumbnail and tags. I would strip the image description preview in favor of the thumbnail.
    - Storm ~ "Sic itur ad astra per aspera." [Commission info]

Yeah, if it's possible (and not too taxing on the site) a midsized image preview on hover would dramatically improve the site's usability for me. Chrome has had something similar via HoverZoom for a while, but unfortunately the equivalent Firefox extension has never picked up this site on its support list. Best of luck.

Sorry for the double post, but it appears that the Firefox version has been removed. I figure you're probably busy with the holidays, but when you get a chance, please re-upload it so we can give it a try. Thanks!

Weasyl
    Noxid
    Quote Originally Posted by sphrog View Post
    Sorry for the double post, but it appears that the Firefox version has been removed. I figure you're probably busy with the holidays, but when you get a chance, please re-upload it so we can give it a try. Thanks!
    Ah, that simply won't do :I
    I guess they finally got around to reviewing it and there was an issue, so I've patched that up and uploaded a new version. Sorry for any inconvenience!
    This "patch" version (V1.4) doesn't have any of the new features, just rewriting a bit of code so it follows the rules better. Chrome version is unchanged.