Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: FA is Down: The Thread

Weasyl
    sassySloth
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    Ah well, there's sort of an explanation for that.

Weasyl isn't just a "furry" site, it's a fur friendly site where a lot of the staff are furrys and love the fandom, but we don't want Weasyl to be by furs, for furs, furry only club go away. This isn't to say the fandom is bad and we don't love it, just that furry exclusive tends to have a different focus for rules, we don't want to exclude things like human art or whatever, and we def don't want someone feeling like they shouldn't show all their awesome are rather than just the furry stuff.

So the site has a heavy furry leaning, but it's not just furry, and that's why we're not pushing things like a general furry discussion, or furry only rules like "no human art" etc.
    Ah there you go, thanks. That's exactly what I was feeling. So yes, I don't like that. I wanted furrier pastures. But that's my opinion.

More power to you
    Watch me swooce right in.

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #22

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Yeah, that's fair. everyone has preferences. At least now you know that you're not just seeing things and Weasyl probably won't fill the furriest furry niche for you.

Personally, that restraint is one of the best things about Weasyl.
    I like the furry stuff, but I don't want to do it all the time, so I'm good with FA being a little less furry centric than FA.

Kudos to Weasyl for making a tool for making custom thumbnails easier, but it you don't want to do that, would it really be that terrible if the default thumbnail added blank space instead of making arbitrary crops?

So why am I still on FA? The same reason Clyde Barrow robbed banks, because that's where the money is. There are more people there, more watchers, and more people buying. Of course this may change as Weasyl grows, and I build more of an audience, but right now, FA pays my rent, and Weasyl doesn't.

So, why do I bother with Weasyl at all? In a word, redundancy. FA does go down, and there's always the possibility that Dragoneer will do like so many have before, and decide that the site is more trouble than it's worth. It's always good to have backups, and if the existence of Weasyl motivates the staff of FA to get their act together, better still.

Well well well, guess what threat is relevant again?
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Hmmmmmmm
    I heard rumors of malware

The only malware on that site is their cloudflare cookies.

Weasyl
    Namba
    If it weren't for the fact some people depend on it to pay their bills, I'd care less as to whether or not it was ever back up again.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    The only malware on that site is their cloudflare cookies.
    Yeah I wasn't sure of the details because I read about it on here in a journal

The administration at FA has a knack for taking good ideas and twisting them into bad ideas. And then they twist them some more. And then they put them in a thumbscrew until they resemble a slinky. I actually had the catastrophically bad luck of getting into a conversation with none other than Dragoneer a while back about how the site is run, and after much prodding he basically flat out admitted the site is run the way it is because he says so.

Weasyl
    N/A
    FA: It's an oddly fragmented site. You have the art/stories part, where I've met a lot of friendly furs, then you have the forums, which seems mainly like a place to be rude, and to bitch & complain about the other half of the site. It's kinda sad that it's one of the busiest forums, because there's so many angry/rude furs there, and no real sense of community. It reminds me I should post more here, and other places that are better run.