Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: FA is Down: The Thread

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    Which ties into the issue of using a thumbnail for your preview, since everyone and their uncle thinks they're SO WITTY by having a normal looking thumbnail and then having it be some crazy fetish bullshit when you click on it.
    If you see this happening, please report it. Misleading thumbnails like this are prohibited by the CG.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    ^ Indeed.

But even regardless of of that, submitting your writing as .txt files is just no.

I am however sorry to hear you hang around crowds that involves a requirement of eye vinegar. The company you keep!

Not uploading as .txt is just wrong. Maybe if you have heavy styling requirements I could understand a .pdf, but office documents are just right out. The main reason for this is .txt gets turned into HTML and therefore fits in with the webpage which makes for better readability. Also if you just double-paragraph your .txt file it reads super easy on monitors. Other document types end up becoming some CSS or Javascript nightmare that looks like you're staring at a google docs file. They also tend to encourage stupid fonts, ridiculous styling, and painful formatting. Yeah, indentation and multiple line spacing does make for an easier read *if you print the document out* but on a monitor it looks like ass.

If you see this happening, please report it. Misleading thumbnails like this are prohibited by the CG.
    I'm not doing the mods jobs for them. They either need an interface (like FA's) which discourages that crap or they need to police the main page more.

And as for mouse-over previews I don't know how to do that. I can't find a setting on the page that gives me a preview of the document I'm about to click on.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Vae
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxid View Post
    Make your own previews!
    ☆*・゜゚・*ヽ( ★ω★)ノ
    What script is this?

Because userstyles.org turns up nothing.
    And this would be useful for me.
    Resident Koopa Trash

FA has posted estimated downtime of 6-8 hours. I'm taking over-under bets starting at 3 days.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Noxid
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    What script is this?

Because userstyles.org turns up nothing.
    And this would be useful for me.
    I just wrote it up myself last night because it sounded fun and easy
    It's not all packaged up to be a nice extension that runs automatically or anything but you can see what I did here: https://github.com/taedixon/WeasylPr...l_previewer.js

Weasyl
    sassySloth
    The main reason why I haven't left FA is that is where everyone is.

I understand that alternatives won't become popular if I don't take the first step toward giving them a shot, but if FA is where my friends (and most furries period) are then I don't feel any reason do adjust to a different layout.

I am second guessing Weasyl because it just doesn't feel out-and-out furry enough for me. It feels like they admins and mods are holding back. I'm sure that sounds ridiculous. Just a feeling I get. I really like the look of SoFurry whenever I find myself there. Looks slick. What's the popular opinion of that place?

Now that I understand how to upload .txts to FA I don't have as much of a problem with it. I do wish they had some kind of thumbnail maker like Weasyl has. I'm sick of having my thumbnails looking ugly and jpeg'd.
    Watch me swooce right in.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #18

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by sassySloth View Post
    The main reason why I haven't left FA is that is where everyone is.

I understand that alternatives won't become popular if I don't take the first step toward giving them a shot, but if FA is where my friends (and most furries period) are then I don't feel any reason do adjust to a different layout.

I am second guessing Weasyl because it just doesn't feel out-and-out furry enough for me. It feels like they admins and mods are holding back. I'm sure that sounds ridiculous. Just a feeling I get. I really like the look of SoFurry whenever I find myself there. Looks slick. What's the popular opinion of that place?

Now that I understand how to upload .txts to FA I don't have as much of a problem with it. I do wish they had some kind of thumbnail maker like Weasyl has. I'm sick of having my thumbnails looking ugly and jpeg'd.
    I'll start with the regular I am speaking for myself and not staff, all the opinions are my own part, but yeah the bolded part of your comment has me curious and I was wondering if you could explain the feeling more.

Holding back how? Holding back from going full furry mode or just holding back in a more general sense?

Weasyl
    sassySloth
    Quote Originally Posted by Fay V View Post
    I'll start with the regular I am speaking for myself and not staff, all the opinions are my own part, but yeah the bolded part of your comment has me curious and I was wondering if you could explain the feeling more.

Holding back how? Holding back from going full furry mode or just holding back in a more general sense?
    Weasyl seems to be more about 'art' than 'furry' I guess. There's no dedicated furry section of the forums whereas on other forums there's a big "General Furry Discussion." The "About Weasyl" Page only mentions that it's for artists, writers, etc. The fur just feels really reigned in here, which I don't love. But again these are vague complaints that I can't even vocalize properly.

Can anyone explain what I'm getting at?

I remember fondly the lawlessness of the FA Forums where a noob would say terrible/ stupid things and everyone else would laugh at them. Whenever a topic gets heated here it seems to get shut down. It's all very restrained.
    Last edited by sassySloth; 11-23-2014 at 01:04 PM.
    Watch me swooce right in.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #20

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Ah well, there's sort of an explanation for that.

Weasyl isn't just a "furry" site, it's a fur friendly site where a lot of the staff are furrys and love the fandom, but we don't want Weasyl to be by furs, for furs, furry only club go away. This isn't to say the fandom is bad and we don't love it, just that furry exclusive tends to have a different focus for rules, we don't want to exclude things like human art or whatever, and we def don't want someone feeling like they shouldn't show all their awesome are rather than just the furry stuff.

So the site has a heavy furry leaning, but it's not just furry, and that's why we're not pushing things like a general furry discussion, or furry only rules like "no human art" etc.

As for the forums and the like, yes the staff and the forums are restrained, especially compared to FaF. It's not the same community environment from FaF, it's not the same staff environment as FaF.
    I remember my time on FAF fondly both as a user and as staff, but we're not FAF and don't really want to be FAF.

The forums shouldn't be a place where new people come in and can get completely shit on, especially since it's one of the primary ways our staff is staying in touch with users and getting feedback to improve.

Weasyl forums has a different job for weasyl than FaF did for FA, and we're still fiddling and fixing and adjusting to make this place more enjoyable, but to meet our goals as a staff we just can't do the lawlessness of FaF.

I hope that all made sense.