Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: FA is Down: The Thread

FA is Down: The Thread

Since I was banned from FA forums under mysterious circumstances and since Weasyl's main form of recruitment is actually FA going down, I decided to make a thread on it. The main draw here is, "Hey, we're not FA!" Seriously though this is relevant to the growth of alternatives. For instance I started migrating more to fanfiction.net.

At this point it almost feels like punching down though. I'd use Weasyl as my main art site if the interface didn't suck all that was ass. Idk who designed that Web 2.0 idea-bag but it makes uploading art like 5x more painful than it should be.

So I use ff.net. Which is still has me jumping through about 3 layers of hoops too many but at least it gets the ship to port if you know what I'm saying.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Noxid
    really, fanfiction.net is your standard?
    I mean, I used it to upload all of one chapter but it's practically a bird's nest of links and forms by comparison, from what I remember.
    Last edited by Noxid; 11-18-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Try as I might to get around it, FA has the best layout. It's uncluttered, it's simple, it works, and its fast when the hamsters are fed. Weasyl could easily be better, but they choose not to.

Weasyl
    Noxid
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that point. TEIO, To Each Its Own.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    I actually like Weasyl's interface and steps to upload submissions. :C

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    Try as I might to get around it, FA has the best layout. It's uncluttered, it's simple, it works, and its fast when the hamsters are fed. Weasyl could easily be better, but they choose not to.
    You mean that clunky garbage that doesn't allow you to upload any kind of decent writing format?

It allows you to upload w/e you want, it's just it only displays .txt. That's a pain, but at least I don't have to manually crop and adjust every single freaking thumbnail.

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    No sir I don't think so.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Except the end result is all my submissions look slightly different cause I have to manually crop my thumbnail every single time. It looks retarded as hell. Which ties into the issue of using a thumbnail for your preview, since everyone and their uncle thinks they're SO WITTY by having a normal looking thumbnail and then having it be some crazy fetish bullshit when you click on it. I have to roll the dice enough as it is on FA, but Weasyl it's like why even bother. And of course there's the fact that the art and the writing is all hodge-podged together so you don't even know what you're clicking on because, and honest to god I can't believe I'm saying this, FA has a more advanced interface that has a preview pane come up when you mouse over it so you can get the description and figure out what you're about to click on.

I can't believe you have me DEFENDING FA now.

Weasyl
    Noxid