Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave

Rilvor, what is that gif from, and why haven't I seen it before?
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave

It almost looks like Metroid 2 but I've never played it so idk for sure.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    It almost looks like Metroid 2 but I've never played it so idk for sure.
    That's what you would think, but it's nothing I ever saw in my copy and the ending doesn't have a sequence remotely like that.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk2288 View Post
    You have a responsibility to those that admire/look up to you, or your work.
    Eh, I don't know if I would agree with this point.

Just because someone looks up to you, does not mean you have actually made any kind of agreement with them. You basically have no say in who does or doesn't admire what you do.
    So I don't think that makes you obligated to them just because they happened to stumble upon you.

Also, I really that first Metroid gif. It's cute.
    Last edited by Vae; 11-16-2014 at 02:24 AM.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    N/A
    @Vae, Sorry for my poor choice of words...

I meant to say,
    You have a responsibility to your peers and people starting out. It Doesn't matter the craft.
    (Art, Writing, Music, etc.)

I'm not saying you should go around lecturing newbies, or forming secret alliances (you should).
    However at least answer simple questions like "what medium is that? would you recommend this or that".
    OR network with peers so you're not shooting each other in the foot.(commission rates, blacklists, bad clients, etc)

As far "fans" or "admirers" go, you only need to update them on things like inactivity, (bad) news, and future plans. At least this way, people won't be asking if you died...
    Last edited by Kurk2288; 11-16-2014 at 04:47 AM.

I try not to let most fans close. I'll respond to comments (though if the comments are spam/emoticons I'll ask them to stop), but I will rarely hand out my skype. I may give out steam if someone wants to play a specific video game with me but I found it can be stressful just having people try to force a friendship because they think you are an "interesting person" on the basis of art alone. It can be flattering to have someone look up to you but you'll find that the artwork will convey little of their personality or interests. Therefore, you can't really tell if you're going to be compatible with an artist as a friend.

I am pretty content with my lot in life and who I know right now so I don't feel the need to invite fans to be a part of my life.

Weasyl
    Namba
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    So in all my writing years I've had supporters, followers, haters, and regular posters, but I've never had fans before. Then I started writing a WoW fanfic about a paladin named Jack Radical going around porking elfs and all of the sudden I actually have like, legit fans, people PMing me telling me how much they like my style and characters, how they can't wait to see more, etc. Well one has taken it to an entirely new level. I have 7 messages sitting in my inbox from this person and frankly idk how to respond. They've commented on every single story and want me to use one of their characters in a fanfic at some point, which I thought well that's cool I like getting feedback and doing crossover stuff. Then I come back and find they're written an entire story about Jack. A fanfiction about a fanfiction, it's like fanfictionception or something.

This is getting weird. I didn't post this in the writing section because I'd imagine this is something artists have to deal with more often, but perhaps this is just par for the course and I'm not used to it. Either way, people writing about my characters is really… odd. What do?
    You're getting noticed and don't know how do deal with it. I dig it, man. Congrats: you are slowly becoming a big deal to people.

I will never have this problem. Good luck!