Suggestion: Public Notification Category

So, we've all seen them. Submissions who's only purpose is to notify the general public (not just followers) that an artist is open for commissions. I actually don't particularly mind them, and kind of think we could do something to help make them a little more useful. Thanks to the streaming notifications on the front page Weasyl doesn't have the STREAMING NOW spam like on FA at least.

My suggestion would be to create a new category for opened commission and auction "submissions." I think the ability to attach a file is important (ref for the auctioned character/whatever, or an example for open commissions).

I would give it a tab kind of like the "Recently Popular"/"Random Art"/etc. so that one can at a glance see a handful of artists that are open. Probably also have it pick them randomly like the Random Art tab currently does.

I know there's the "open for commission" flag thing on the profile, but that doesn't really help an artist get the word out to the general public like a submission to the front page does. Even journals don't give the visibility of a submission, though at least they're still kind of public.

As a bonus, we might consider adding an option to a user's settings to filter out "Commission/Auction Ad Type" submissions for those that consider them annoying.

Weasyl
    Zalcoti
    Maybe it can go two ways. People looking to buy art and people selling art.

Weasyl
    Storm
    Yes, we could definitely have a good use for that. But I would call that"Advertisements" rather, or maybe "Announcements". Your topic title is misleading, I had no idea what a "notification category" may mean until I read your post.

And yeah, notifications for both offers and "looking for" types would be useful.

I'm interested to hear what the staff thinks?
    - Storm ~ "Sic itur ad astra per aspera." [Commission info]

Yeah I could have come up with a better name for it.

I don't think "Advertisements" is quite right, as it implies you need to pay to put one up which kind of defeats the purpose of having everyone put them up in that category rather than normal submissions; as well as potentially conflicting with if Weasyl ever wants to implement advertisement banners. "Announcements" might work unless someone can come up with a better name.

IMO the difference between this idea and advertisement banners like on FA is that this is for more temporary things like "YCH Auction!" or "Christmas Commissions!" whereas I feel a banner is more persistant "Follow me for awesome art! Whatever, whenever, all that jazz!"

Weasyl
    N/A
    I kinda like the idea because it'll reduce some of the "journal spam".
    It reminds me of community or public bulletin boards, where people can put up posters or business cards.
    Usually for local events, businesses or services (and lost pets).

Maybe call it a "commission board" so it's not as confusing/misleading as "public notifications" or- "advertisements". To reiterate what socks said: Artists & Patrons can notify visitors if they're open for OR looking for commissions. Instead of clogging up journals, where the news, events, and things like that are at...

Edit:
    I forgot to mention, what about freebies, requests, and other things like "adoptables" or whatever else?
    Last edited by Kurk2288; 12-05-2014 at 02:29 AM.

For that matter, actual paid advertisements would be nice. Not only would it let artists get the word out, but it would help with Weasyl's expenses.

Weasyl
    Storm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk2288 View Post
    bulletin boards
    Oh yes! That's what it should be called!
    - Storm ~ "Sic itur ad astra per aspera." [Commission info]

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by rbartrop View Post
    For that matter, actual paid advertisements would be nice. Not only would it let artists get the word out, but it would help with Weasyl's expenses.
    I remember seeing that listed somewhere for planned features (I'll post the link here if I can find).

If the staff do consider this "commission board" or "public notifications" idea for commissions, freebies or whatever else. -Maybe it should be a premium feature. In which only premium accounts can post on it,
    and normal users can of course visit.

It's an alternative form of "advertising" to help keep the site running,-
    and gives more purpose/incentive for premium accounts.
    Last edited by Kurk2288; 12-06-2014 at 12:01 AM.

My problem with that idea is that one can already just post the exact same thing in the exact same way to regular submissions and the only difference is it doesn't get it's own little tab thing on the front page. So why pay for it?

The idea is to encourage everyone to use it, especially since the idea is to have it be for stuff that is fleeting in nature so people aren't spamming the front page with reminders. Maybe to keep it from competing with paid banners the system should only consider submissions two weeks or newer for the random entry display list?