Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Tamblr and Raddit

Weasyl
    BrazenBull
    Yup, I use reddit for a whole bunch of junk. I just made a tumblr last week, but I really don't like the layout.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    I'd like to use Reddit for their animal boards, but I'm just too lazy to figure out how the fucking site works
    I feel so old

Weasyl
    Manna
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    I'm not tagging "bluespace"
    as someone with PTSD who has triggers, I fail to understand how "bluespace" is a trigger that is linked to someone's severe psychological trauma that they've sustained in their life and therefore do not consider it trigger-warn-able
    There are more mental illnesses on this gay planet earth than just the one you've been diagnosed with

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    I've seen posts on my dash complaining about how you need to "TAG YOUR #BLUESPACE", and I have no idea how the fuck these people expect to function,
    anywhere, for any reason.
    A mental illness is a mental anomaly that impairs your ability to "function"

like it wouldn't be a fucking mental illness if it didn't affect your functionality in some way

There are people on this planet earth who have depersonalization/derealization disorder. This disorder, as an aside, often affects people with anxiety (namely PTSD). I have both DD and PTSD, and while I'm not personally affected by bluespace on tumblr I can completely understand why

try to have some basic fucking empathy for your fellow man holy shit. People work up the bravery to say "hey I have a mental illness could you please tag this harmful thing so I don't have to see it?" and instead of taking the 2 seconds reqd. to do so you fucking come onto Weasyl forums and make fun of them for being disabled

Y'all make me sick, especially GD, who is in no position to question other people's illnesses
    Last edited by Manna; 11-06-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Quote Originally Posted by Manna View Post

like it wouldn't be a fucking mental illness if it didn't affect your functionality in some way

There are people on this planet earth who have depersonalization/derealization disorder. This disorder, as an aside, often affects people with anxiety (namely PTSD). I have both DD and PTSD, and while I'm not personally affected by bluespace on tumblr I can completely understand why

try to have some basic fucking empathy for your fellow man holy shit. People work up the bravery to say "hey I have a mental illness could you please tag this harmful thing so I don't have to see it?" and instead of taking the 2 seconds reqd. to do so you fucking come onto Weasyl forums and make fun of them for being disabled

Y'all make me sick, especially GD, who is in no position to question other people's illnesses
    Yes, thank you, I know how a mental illness works.

But transparency effects have been a staple of web design since forever ago. Hell, the grand majority of Tumblr blogs use those transparency effects, themselves.

And I do not have issues with PTSD, but I do with hallucinations, anxiety, and sometimes depersonalization and derealization in stressful situations.
    I'm sorry if I'm more inclined to believe that Tumblr is doing what Tumblr does best, and overblowing the everloving hell out of something that just slightly annoys them. Something that could be asked to be tagged, simply to filter it out, without "THIS TRIGGERS MY [disorder flavor of the week]" being the excuse.

The fact that they're even on the website, or the internet, doesn't give me much ground to believe them. You would think that people with such issues would think it best to avoid shit like this, entirely.
    It's like going into a bar and whining that alcohol triggers you.
    It's stupid.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Manna View Post
    There are more mental illnesses on this gay planet earth than just the one you've been diagnosed with

Alrighty then.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    Manna
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    Welp, even I tried to keep the thread from heading in this direction, but I think we ALL knew it would happen. Now for Pinar to come and lock it as I'm sure he wanted to from the start.
    You've done literally nothing to keep this thread from devolving into rampant ableism

take your self congratulatory bullshit somewhere else

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Yes, thank you, I know how a mental illness works.

But transparency effects have been a staple of web design since forever ago. Hell, the grand majority of Tumblr blogs use those transparency effects, themselves.

And I do not have issues with PTSD, but I do with hallucinations, anxiety, and sometimes depersonalization and derealization in stressful situations.
    I'm sorry if I'm more inclined to believe that Tumblr is doing what Tumblr does best, and overblowing the everloving hell out of something that just slightly annoys them. Something that could be asked to be tagged, simply to filter it out, without "THIS TRIGGERS MY [disorder flavor of the week]" being the excuse.

The fact that they're even on the website, or the internet, doesn't give me much ground to believe them. You would think that people with such issues would think it best to avoid shit like this, entirely.
    It's like going into a bar and whining that alcohol triggers you.
    It's stupid.
    you're right the mentally ill should just not be allowed on the internet instead of trying to create safe spaces for themselves

Like I understand you have issues with derealization and hallucinations and you personally don't have an issue with these posts, but that doesn't mean that there aren't people out there who might have these issues worse than you do

I reiterate: show some compassion for your fellow man jesus christ
    Last edited by Manna; 11-07-2014 at 12:46 AM.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    I'm not on the reddits, but I've got a tumblr nobody goes to and I never update, at http://therunefox.tumblr.com

Anyway, this is off topic, but the thread has already been derailed and this kind of also applies to the majority of Tumblr, so…

*ahem*

You do not have the right to be coddled. You do not have the right to never be offended. You do not have the right to expect "basic fucking empathy" when your first response to any sort of mildly disagreeable language or thing is to go ballistic and yell at people.

You do have the right to a base level of respect. You do have the right to speak your mind, within the confines of rules set forth in both society and in whichever private institution you happen to be in at any given moment. Both of these rights can be rescinded, by individuals and by those in charge of wherever you are, respectively. Freedom of speech is not an absolute.

With this having been said, it is reasonable to request that someone tag something a certain way as a courtesy. It is not reasonable to consider the person a horrible ableist shitbag for refusing to or not understanding why they should do so. It is neither your duty nor is it reasonable to yell at them for this, and it is your responsibility to avoid it in the first place. Just because things exist which you take issue with does not mean that you have the right to never come into contact with them. You must be capable of handling these things on your own, and you must also be mature enough to understand that not everything is a jab at you or your peers.

If you cannot do either of those things, you objectively do not belong on the internet, nor can you function interacting with others. Nobody can stop you, of course, but the only thing that you accomplish in being oversensitive is providing for all involved the mental image of you frothing at the mouth and yelling at your screen. If everybody reacted in such a manner, the world would have been glassed into nuclear annihilation many times over for petty reasons like the USA not respecting Russia's polygender raccoon president's preferred pronoun of "vi".

Weasyl
    N/A
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics

Weasyl
    Gamedog

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    You do not have the right to be coddled. You do not have the right to never be offended. You do not have the right to expect "basic fucking empathy" when your first response to any sort of mildly disagreeable language or thing is to go ballistic and yell at people.

You do have the right to a base level of respect. You do have the right to speak your mind, within the confines of rules set forth in both society and in whichever private institution you happen to be in at any given moment. Both of these rights can be rescinded, by individuals and by those in charge of wherever you are, respectively. Freedom of speech is not an absolute.

With this having been said, it is reasonable to request that someone tag something a certain way as a courtesy. It is not reasonable to consider the person a horrible ableist shitbag for refusing to or not understanding why they should do so. It is neither your duty nor is it reasonable to yell at them for this, and it is your responsibility to avoid it in the first place. Just because things exist which you take issue with does not mean that you have the right to never come into contact with them. You must be capable of handling these things on your own, and you must also be mature enough to understand that not everything is a jab at you or your peers.

If you cannot do either of those things, you objectively do not belong on the internet, nor can you function interacting with others. Nobody can stop you, of course, but the only thing that you accomplish in being oversensitive is providing for all involved the mental image of you frothing at the mouth and yelling at your screen. If everybody reacted in such a manner, the world would have been glassed into nuclear annihilation many times over for petty reasons like the USA not respecting Russia's polygender raccoon president's preferred pronoun of "vi".
    Please stop, the 13th Amendment makes it illegal to own niggas like this.
    Last edited by DrunkCat; 11-07-2014 at 01:30 AM.