Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Tamblr and Raddit

Weasyl
    Manna
    wait so like you get more say than me because you "know someone with a mental disorder" like are you sure you want to say that because it's pretty common knowledge at this point that I actually HAVE a mental illness so like if anything that should give me more say in this conversation?

Like you can keep going with your "well I'm better than you, I'm thinking rationally" but like you accused me of having a personality disorder because I didn't agree with you and if you think that's rational then by all means but

you can go back to not posting I guess like idk like you said there's 1 million shit bags on this forum who would love to argue w/ me about how people with mental illness are so shitty or w/e it is you're trying to say

yo btw you should probably read up on the politics behind diagnosing people with personality disorders. There's this really long history, especially w/ antisocial and borderline, of doctor's diagnosing marginalized people with personality disorders to frame their frustration @ the people who oppress them as a mental health issue
    Last edited by Manna; 11-07-2014 at 03:39 AM.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    this is why I hope Tumblr dies in its crib

Weasyl
    Runefox

Weasyl
    N/A
    Wooow, where did the train go?...

Just an FYI: I don't really use tumblr or reddit. so I don't really know about the whole "tagging & triggering" thing. From what I've read and seen. The problem doesn't seem to be tagging, or people getting triggered, but both sides blowing things out of proportion. To me, it seems like people are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I also hope this thread doesn't get locked, or atleast too soon.
    Honestly, some people on here need to work some things out, from the looks of it.
    (maybe take it to pm- maybe a temporary thread? Maybe a thread about Tagging & Triggering?)

Personally, if I did use Tumblr. I could understand how annoying it might be, to constantly be asked to tag every little thing, IF that's the case here. (The internet, and the number of people who use it- is massive..)

I also understand that there's people with mental illnesses, traumas, and or disorders. I would be fine tagging something if some one asked. So long as their request are polite and reasonable.
    Just don't pester, harass, or accuse people of being <insert label here> if they don't always do it...

The whole #bluespace tag or whatever, seems a little silly to me. If you consider other websites and most places that don't use "tags". How do some of these people browse the internet?

Also, I'm curious as to what coping methods these particular kinds Tumblr users' use when they do get triggered.

Quote Originally Posted by Manna View Post
    you can go back to not posting I guess like idk like you said there's 1 million shit bags on this forum who would love to argue w/ me about how people with mental illness are so shitty or w/e it is you're trying to say
    I don't think any one here is arguing with you about "how people with mental illness are so shitty"...?

Lastly, I DON'T think Manna's trying to be the center of attention...
    I think it's just confusion- and misguided good intentions. I assume s/he thinks that you guys were making fun of mental illness. When actually, it was about poking fun at people's tag requests.

Meh, I'm too tired right now.
    Last edited by Kurk2288; 11-07-2014 at 04:23 AM. Reason: I need sleep.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk2288 View Post
    I think it's just confusion- and misguided good intentions. I assume s/he thinks that you guys were making fun of mental illness. When actually, it was about poking fun at people's tag requests.
    That's exactly right. I'm not making fun of mental disorders, I'm just scoffing at the requests to slap "trigger warnings" onto every single little thing, usually by people that probably don't have a traumatic disorder that would cause them to have an anxiety/panic attack or dissociate, self-harm, etc.
    In fact, just going through "bluespace" on Tumblr it seems a lot of the posts in that tag are people asking others to tag JUST IN CASE someone, somewhere would get upset. Not people themselves saying "this makes me have flashbacks of the war" (legitimate thing to TW. Original cause for trigger warnings and PTSD)

I'm against the liberal usage of trigger warnings, and I will call that bullshit out whenever I see it.

I avoid discussions that upset me and I block the tag "moth". I would never demand someone to tag things that I dislike, and for some reason I'm able to function on sites other than Tumblr despite there not being tag-blocking or trigger-warnings. There are no trigger-warnings when you're out in public and there is sure as hell not any Tumblr Saviour to protect you when a moth flies at your face.

I hate being coddled, and that's what Tumblr's liberal usage of "TW" does. It coddles and it babies.
    Last edited by Gamedog; 11-07-2014 at 04:53 AM.

Weasyl
    Foxdoge
    Hello everyone. It's your friendly neighbourhood neurodivergent Psychology (and Music but that's kind of irrelevant to the topic at hand) Major here to remind you that you're wrong. That's it. That's literally it.

While Manna might have been wrong about Derealization Disorder not making it on the DSM-5 (it is on there, under Dissociative Disorders), pretty much all of her "opinions" are founded and supported by the greater majority of the psychology community, primarily those living with neurodivergencies themselves. This isn't just random shit tumblr has appropriated and bastardized for its own use; they're practices that are used in real life, albeit a lot less effectively than in an online atmosphere. And while a lot of Trigger Tags (and the term Trigger itself) may just seem like buzzwords, as you yourself said there's an uncountable number of things that could potentially trigger any given individual at any given time. Tagging things on the off-chance that it'll trigger someone isn't pandering to "special snowflakes" (actually fuck you for using that term to refer to anyone, as though wanting to feel cared for is some fucking crime), it's allowing them to work through whatever it is that is affecting them on their own terms and at their own pace.

Also that definition of HPD is incredibly nondescript and inaccurate. Regardless of whether or not you found it on an online government-funded psychology library or on the back of a fucking Hubba-Bubba wrapper, any sentence-long descriptor of a personality disorder is usually going to be incredibly misleading. Not only is it nigh impossible to accurately define any neurodivergence in one concise sentence and hence extremely deceitful of you to use one as "supporting """documentation""" for your """diagnosis"""", but actually having the fucking audacity to "diagnose" someone with a personality disorder over a fucking forum post is incredibly egotistical of you. And on the off-chance that you meant it as "a joke": ever heard of the term ableism before? That'd pretty much sum up your "joke".

TL;DR RuneFox needs to pet a fucking dog or something and assess their shitty life choices.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Tag your triggers if you're going to try to talk over me.
    TW:
    Psychology
    Work
    Bastard
    Ableism
    Dog
    Life Shaming

Don't come into this thread and expect to be taken seriously by white-knighting blindly and insulting.

[vague and unsourced claim]"pretty much all of her "opinions" are founded and supported by the greater majority of the psychology community, primarily those living with neurodivergencies themselves. This isn't just random shit tumblr has appropriated and bastardized for its own use; they're practices that are used in real life"[/vague and unsourced claim]

Love it. Genius. Yeah, I'm not going to take you seriously.
    I think we're done here. It's been fun, guys!
    Last edited by Gamedog; 11-07-2014 at 05:11 AM.

Weasyl
    Foxdoge
    I don't think you know what "talking over" someone in this context would be but ok. More ableist non-jokes. ok.

9.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #79

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Thread closed and under review, infractions to be determined