Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 79

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Tamblr and Raddit

  1. #61
    Premium User Runefox's Avatar


    Weasyl
    Runefox
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NL, Canada
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by Manna View Post
    weird, I always thought 2012 came before 2013
    But it says 2014. So are you saying you've got multiple accounts?

    you literally responded to someone who said "could you please tag blue space, it's triggering for people who have derealization" with "these people pretend to have mental illnesses in order to be assholes"
    No, I did not literally respond with that. That was point B. Point A was that you're making assumptions about people because you're trying to be right on the internet.

    In any event, if you suffer from derealization as a result of space on a page, then you clearly can't use the internet at large, watch TV, look at print, or really do anything without having episodes, so I have to expect that you either know how to deal with them through therapy or you're bullshitting, and in both cases it becomes a non-issue.

    Your turn.

    nah
    Oh.

  2. #62
    Senior Manna's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Manna
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Gender
    ORGONON GURL
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    But it says 2014. So are you saying you've got multiple accounts?
    Join Date 07-30-2012
    and yet you accuse me of not reading posts
    okay

    No, I did not literally respond with that. That was point B. Point A was that you're making assumptions about people because you're trying to be right on the internet.
    I've literally stated multiple times that this forum isn't safe for people with mental illness, given how we're demonized to such an extreme. You taking that argument and twisting it into "wanting to be right" is really disrespectful lmao

    In any event, if you suffer from derealization as a result of space on a page, then you clearly can't use the internet at large, watch TV, look at print, or really do anything without having episodes, so I have to expect that you either know how to deal with them through therapy or you're bullshitting, and in both cases it becomes a non-issue.
    or maybe we could let the mentally ill use the internet without disrespecting them. Maybe the onus is on you to not be shitty towards people who are already disadvantaged, rather than on them to avoid you.

  3. #63
    Senior Manna's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Manna
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Gender
    ORGONON GURL
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    Tybby...
    what, are you surprised?

  4. #64
    Premium User Runefox's Avatar


    Weasyl
    Runefox
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NL, Canada
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by Manna View Post
    Join Date 07-30-2012
    and yet you accuse me of not reading posts
    okay
    How was I supposed to know who you were, tybby / Tybalt Maxwell? But with that said, isn't it against the rules to create a second account like this? Were you getting harassed? Clearly not if you're happy to announce who you are to someone who supposedly harasses you.

    I've literally stated multiple times that this forum isn't safe for people with mental illness, given how we're demonized to such an extreme. You taking that argument and twisting it into "wanting to be right" is really disrespectful lmao
    Uhh, right. No. See, that's not how it works. "You're" not demonized. You're marginalized. Because you've allowed yourself to be by succombing to the "I'm different so I should get more attention and also ice cream" school of thought rather than dealing with your problems and trying to function. Instead, you're yelling at people on the internet for being insensitive. Because you want to be right on the internet.

    or maybe we could let the mentally ill use the internet without disrespecting them. Maybe the onus is on you to not be shitty towards people who are already disadvantaged, rather than on them to avoid you.
    Ahem. You're letting your troll shine through with the use of the term "mentally ill", you know. That implies that there's something wrong with people with psychological disorders, when you're attempting to tell me that the world should conform to their comfort.

    In any event, everybody I've ever met with any mental disability has some tools at their disposal to function more or less normally without having to play the "I'm special so I get special treatment" card. In fact, that is the ultimate disrespectful thing you could do to someone in that situation. It's like pushing someone's wheelchair without their permission, even if you think you're helping. You're taking away their voice, not giving them one.

  5. #65
    Senior Gamedog's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Москва
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    How was I supposed to know who you were, tybby / Tybalt Maxwell But with that said, isn't it against the rules to create a second account like this? Were you getting harassed? Clearly not if you're happy to announce who you are to someone who supposedly harasses you.
    I literally did not know who "Tybby" was, and my memory is so shot that the only thing that crops up in my mind when hearing "Tybalt Maxwell" is a yellow cat fursona.

    So no, Manna. Rest assured I have absolutely no interest in following you, hassling you, heckling you, trolling you, or engaging you in conversation. This is the last I'll even speak in your direction, specifically because you're insinuating that I'm stalking you and I find this ridiculous and way over the top.

    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    In any event, everybody I've ever met with any mental disability has some tools at their disposal to function more or less normally without having to play the "I'm special so I get special treatment" card. In fact, that is the ultimate disrespectful thing you could do to someone in that situation. It's like pushing someone's wheelchair without their permission, even if you think you're helping. You're taking away their voice, not giving them one.
    I agree with this entirely. Coddling people with mental disabilities does as much harm as people who insist that you can "get over" them. I've been on the receiving end of both types of "advice", with the former being sheltering and inhibiting growth, improvement, and progression through the disability, and the latter being completely dehumanizing and soul-crushing.

  6. #66
    Senior Manna's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Manna
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Gender
    ORGONON GURL
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    How was I supposed to know who you were, tybby / Tybalt Maxwell? But with that said, isn't it against the rules to create a second account like this? Were you getting harassed? Clearly not if you're happy to announce who you are to someone who supposedly harasses you.
    Because the character is literally the same, just genderswapped?
    I made a new account to match my trans identity. I was uncomfortable misgendering myself every time I logged in so I made this new one for the name. The mods don't care


    Uhh, right. No. See, that's not how it works. "You're" not demonized. You're marginalized. Because you've allowed yourself to be by succombing to the "I'm different so I should get more attention and also ice cream" school of thought rather than dealing with your problems and trying to function. Instead, you're yelling at people on the internet for being insensitive. Because you want to be right on the internet.
    I think there's a little bit of a difference between saying "please don't make fun of people who have mental illness" and "please give me icecream because I'm special"


    Ahem. You're letting your troll shine through with the use of the term "mentally ill", you know. That implies that there's something wrong with people with psychological disorders, when you're attempting to tell me that the world should conform to their comfort.
    "saying mentally ill implies there's something wrong", uses the term "psychological disorders" instead

    c'mon dude

    In any event, everybody I've ever met with any mental disability has some tools at their disposal to function more or less normally without having to play the "I'm special so I get special treatment" card. In fact, that is the ultimate disrespectful thing you could do to someone in that situation. It's like pushing someone's wheelchair without their permission, even if you think you're helping. You're taking away their voice, not giving them one.
    If you think not purposely triggering people who have mental illness is "the ultimate disrespectful thing you could do" then I feel really sorry for anyone in your life who is currently struggling with mental illness

    Being mindful of people's illnesses and how to accommodate them isn't "taking away their voice", it's creating a space where they can feel comfortable alongside the neurotypical

    I personally have derealization disorder but I don't find bluespace triggering. I'm not going to get mad at you for "taking away my voice" if you start tagging bluespace anyway. When you tag things it gives people the option to avoid them, which is an important part of self care

    Like this couldn't be farther than "taking away their voice". Their voice is literally saying "please tag this" like there it is

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    I agree with this entirely. Coddling people with mental disabilities does as much harm as people who insist that you can "get over" them. I've been on the receiving end of both types of "advice", with the former being sheltering and inhibiting growth, improvement, and progression through the disability, and the latter being completely dehumanizing and soul-crushing.
    Why do y'all got to make out like tagging something for someone is "coddling" them

    Like that's such an exageration, no one is going to feel "dehumanized" or "soul crushed" just because someone is courteous and tags something for them
    Last edited by Manna; 11-07-2014 at 03:01 AM.

  7. #67
    Premium User Runefox's Avatar


    Weasyl
    Runefox
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NL, Canada
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by Manna View Post
    Because the character is literally the same, just genderswapped?
    I made a new account to match my trans identity. I was uncomfortable misgendering myself every time I logged in so I made this new one for the name. The mods don't care
    Well, there's your bowl of ice cream.

    "saying mentally ill implies there's something wrong", uses the term "psychological disorders" instead

    c'mon dude
    Hey, I didn't say I gave a shit, just that you're not exactly winning any points by using the term.

    If you think not purposely triggering people who have mental illness is "the ultimate disrespectful thing you could do" then I feel really sorry for anyone in your life who is currently struggling with mental illness
    Excuse me, but I don't think you know what the word "trigger" means. A "trigger" in psychological terms, is something that sets off a flashback or memory tape, traumatic memories that are called forth unwanted and unbidden, and which do not stop until they have played out. You would do well to read up on it, because if you knew what triggers were, you would know that certain ordinary scents, hair colours or styles, songs played on the radio, birdsong, textures, tastes, etc etc can all trigger depending on the circumstances around which the trigger was formed during the traumatic experience. In other words, anyone who has triggers but has not been through therapy to learn to control them can and will be triggered by virtually anything and it is literally impossible to prevent this from happening no matter how "mindful" others are.

    In other words, your definition of "trigger" happens to instead be "something that makes me uncomfortable", which, sorry, is not traumatic.

    Being mindful of people's illnesses and how to accommodate them isn't "taking away their voice", it's creating a space where they can feel comfortable alongside the neurotypical
    Except I didn't sign up to deal with other people's problems, especially when they are literally along the lines of "your car is painted a colour that triggers me, please paint it". Before you say it, yes, there's a long way between space on a webpage and the colour of a car, but if you actually knew what a trigger was, you'd know the idea is the same and your version of accommodation would include this.

    I personally have derealization disorder
    Emphasis mine. Derealization is not a disorder, it's a symptom of a deeper psychological problem. If you aren't getting seen for it, you should be, and if you don't know how to deal with it, you need to fire your psych and get a new one. And ask them about your histrionic personality disorder while you're at it.

    I'm not going to get mad at you for "taking away my voice" if you start tagging bluespace anyway. When you tag things it gives people the option to avoid them, which is an important part of self care

    Like this couldn't be farther than "taking away their voice". Their voice is literally saying "please tag this" like there it is
    No, you wouldn't get all mad, because you like preferential treatment and seek it wherever you can find it, even if it's not wanted. The concept of not wanting extra privileges is alien to you. Again, histrionic personality disorder. Go see your doctor.

  8. #68
    Senior Gamedog's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Москва
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    Excuse me, but I don't think you know what the word "trigger" means. A "trigger" in psychological terms, is something that sets off a flashback or memory tape, traumatic memories that are called forth unwanted and unbidden, and which do not stop until they have played out. You would do well to read up on it, because if you knew what triggers were, you would know that certain ordinary scents, hair colours or styles, songs played on the radio, birdsong, textures, tastes, etc etc can all trigger depending on the circumstances around which the trigger was formed during the traumatic experience. In other words, anyone who has triggers but has not been through therapy to learn to control them can and will be triggered by virtually anything and it is literally impossible to prevent this from happening no matter how "mindful" others are.

    In other words, your definition of "trigger" happens to instead be "something that makes me uncomfortable", which, sorry, is not traumatic.
    This is the exact reason why I will not trigger warn "bluespace". I find the trigger warning of literally every little thing like #sky and #repetitive music to be a little demeaning and insulting, kind of babying those of us with triggers. We're scared little mice who can't go outside.
    Trigger warnings are for psychologically traumatic experiences and dissociation episodes. Most often due to things that the person has endured that are life-threatening.
    I will however trigger warn phobias that I know are a thing. Things like spiders, gore, blood, snakes, and other things like self-harm, suicide, etc.

  9. #69
    Senior Manna's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Manna
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Gender
    ORGONON GURL
    Posts
    178
    holy shit did you just accuse me of wanting "special privileges" by asking to be treated with the basic level of respect you would treat neurotypical people with

    holy shit did you just accuse me of not knowing enough about mental illness (your definition of "trigger" is fundamentally incorrect btw) and then diagnose me with a personality disorder over the internet

    holy shit did you just compare someone asking someone to tag something to asking someone to repaint their car

    and then you said "I know there's a difference but well" as if you knew what you were saying was fallacious but said it anyway holy fuck

    While derealization as a disorder has been disputed between academics, and ultimately did not appear in the DSM V which came out just a bit ago (IIRC? don't care enough about this point to check), it's still a term used within the mental health community to specifically refer to derealization as a loose symptom, which can work independently of the greater illness. There are some people who experience derealization only during panic attacks, and some who have derealization episodes without any other symptoms

    In the future I guess I'll just refer to my illness as "PTSD with derealization" for the sake of clarity
    Last edited by Manna; 11-07-2014 at 03:26 AM.

  10. #70
    Premium User Runefox's Avatar


    Weasyl
    Runefox
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NL, Canada
    Posts
    481
    Last edited by Runefox; 11-07-2014 at 03:26 AM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •