Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Everyone is trying to get noticed just like you and I am too. It's not easy, just have to keep on working and waiting that something lucky happens and more people notice you. Always need to improve and often bring new content (which i dont do xP)
    ~ Hey ! You can find me from ~
    Facebook Deviantart Furaffinity

Weasyl
    QTMelon

Weasyl
    Umbra.Exe
    I still prefer going to this guy for my motivational needs:

Weasyl
    Hewge
    I agree with Umbra. Never give up guy is far superior!

Weasyl
    maugryph
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Why it's hard to take Shia seriously, I just want to shake my head and laugh at him. the message itself is good. I do love "If your sick of starting over, stop giving up"

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra_Exe View Post
    I still prefer going to this guy for my motivational needs:

I agree, unlike shia, I felt like I could take this guy in the water more seriously. The flashy text afterwards was strange.

Weasyl
    Sarukai
    Don't get disheartened when your art doesn't turn out the way you want it to, treat it like a learning experience. Yeah, it probably sucks in comparison to the artists you watch but it really isn't talent. Talent does not exist, you get to be "talented" from working hard and constantly refining your craft. Even if you believe talent exists, hard work will infinity surpass talent alone.

Basically, stop moping about where you want your work to be and draw the living hairy nipples out of it to get there! You do it because you love it, then you shouldn't care what people think of it. If you are doing it to get popular, you're drawing for the wrong reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    I cannot fault his word choice for this, this is literally all the motivation tapes condensed into a minute.

I like this one, kind of old-school but pretty motivational:

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Replying to this again because WHY NOT.

I seem to have gotten over the "woe is me, why will I never be as good as my idols" depression, because that... That is just work and studies and I've done all that before, and the solution is just to do it more!

I do still sometimes get depressed about my niche interests, though. Because I did go to school for Fine Art, and my professors did a lot to push my thought process to be deeper and more complex than it had been... But I still got incredibly burnt out on The Kinds of Things That Work Well in Galleries. I still don't have a lot of interest in expanding too far beyond traditional methods (either traditional media or digital media emulating traditional media) and if I can muster any interest in it, there has to be an animal involved.

Since I was a kid, my teachers have been trying to get me to draw stuff other than animals, and to this day, I still don't have the interest. My drawin' pencil don't want none if you ain't got fuzz, hon. (Or scales or whatever, but y'know, doesn't fit with the song lyric.)

I tried to cultivate an interest in fine art and more contemporary art and art that goes outside the bounds of traditional materials, and all it did was make me feel like the kind of stuff I liked to do wasn't good enough.

On a good day, I realize that drawing "those lame animal people" is still better than drawing nothing at all (which is what I do if I don't let myself draw animals and/or furries. I even feel interested in drawing humans and environments and machines if I know I'm gonna draw an animal next to them, lol.) But on a bad day, it makes me feel badly about my choice in subject matter.

Still, I love art, and if I've gotta draw dorky furries, fantasy animals, or regular animals in order to be interested in it, that's what I'm gonna do.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    maugryph
    I feel like giving up now. I never do but the feeling does creep up on me at times.
    Last edited by maugryph; 08-27-2015 at 04:37 AM.

I'm not sure if "depressed" is the right word but I still feel pretty bummed when a picture I work hard at and was so sure could get a lot of attention ends with less favorites than other pictures that are in many aspects much worse >_>
    For example I'm getting frustrated trying to make a new picture that tops any of my current "top 3".
    On Weasyl's case I'd say the frustration is getting more attention, period. I'm trying to understand if it's 'cause weasyl users have higher standards, if my gallery's theme doesn't have a strong audience here, or if I don't know how to best advertise.

Y'know way back when I was younger, I was always stuck on the idea that I wasn't good enough to be noticed cause I thought my art sucked and everyone knew it even without posting it. I saw everyone who was better or more popular than me as impossible goals that I could never reach even if I tried my hardest. Those thoughts haunted me for a damn long time and I wouldn't even keep up with my old dead dA account to the point I just deleted it and gave in to depression and laziness for way more than I should've.

With how my life's going now though, I feel more confident in actually sharing my stuff on public sites like on here and my new dA that I just wanna keep drawing and working on my skills so I can actually become as good as the artist I enjoy, admire, and look up to. Everyone I see that is better than me isn't a scary monster of supreme skill anymore, but just something to look forward to when I am able to get to that level. I know I'm an amateur at best when it comes to my own art, but that low starting point just means I have so much more ahead of me and it's friggin' exciting!

When it comes to attention, it's honestly pretty damn low on my priorities as an artist. Hell, you have more page views than my dA and Weasyl accounts combined and I'm not even upset about it! Obviously it feels nice when you're recognized for any good stuff you do, but for me that's only a small little bonus. So if I can offer any advice on how to deal with that sadness of not being noticed, I'd say just don't worry about it and focus more on important factors like overall improvement and keeping that artistic passion lit.

If you still get those depressing thoughts of not being seen, then turn it into something that can help fuel that fire in you to draw! If you want everyone to notice you, you're gonna have to earn it! If you see someone that's getting those big numbers on their profiles, that means that you need to step up your game and get just as good as them and keep going. If you need someone to help you learn what you need to improve on then seek out help! The forums have that critique board for a reason. Don't you ever put yourself down just cause you're not popular, or else those thoughts are gonna sink you down like you're tied to a giant anchor.

Never give in, never give out, never surrender.