Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    TealMoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonerotique View Post
    I don't.
    It was your wording here that made it seem that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonerotique View Post
    I don't even know why I bother to anymore. I started lining Page 1 of the comic I'm doing, and all I can think is "why, no one cares anyway," and I have bills to pay.
    An artist shouldn't measure their worth on how many commissions they get. There are many, many great artists out there who are relatively unknown. A lack of networking will do that to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Medipack View Post
    I've thought about doing more adult pieces, but I kinda feel that's a bit of a slippery slope. I get embarrassed enough working on my first nude piece wondering what people who might know me would think.
    Don't do adult art unless you want to do adult art. Your art will suffer if you're uncomfortable with what you're doing. I know at least one artist that gets by solely on clean nightly commissions. It's not easy, but it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Socks the Fox View Post
    Don't do adult art unless you want to do adult art. Your art will suffer if you're uncomfortable with what you're doing. I know at least one artist that gets by solely on clean nightly commissions. It's not easy, but it's possible.
    Yeah. Besides, I started drawing 'cause I couldn't find the art I do want for characters and stuff. Also, like Bonerotique, I do find adult art to be great references for dynamic posing.

Weasyl
    hareteeth
    I think that it's important to focus on drawing what you really want to draw, and not "sell out" to what you think is popular or gets people noticed (adult art, fan art, cute art, family-friendly art--) it all sucks if you're stuck behind the desk slogging at it when you want to be doing the opposite, and it's irrelevant experience if it's something that you get known for. There's no point in gaining a rep as the next Disney if you really want to be the next Crumb, or vice versa.
    And, if you do "sell out", do it big time, have something of a career growing. Hoping that switching your niche-audience that you pander to will earn you a couple extra private commissions is no use if you have no interest in growing in that direction.
    (And this isn't a vendetta against experimentation, or looking outside your niche, just about being real about what you want to do, no wishy-washy dreaming of changing your whole art-persona and getting a lot of feedback and comms and just feeling better about your work- you already know what you do and don't like, you only need to find more stuff you do like and keep doing it. Feeding the interest of people who only care about the one thing you don't care much about in your art only takes away from you, it doesn't build you up.)

Anyway, I get massively depressed about my art, constantly. Then I straddle taking on big projects that quickly blow out. It's a cycle and it's not...particularly healthy, but I'm trying to find a way to be more caviller about my process, to stick to my shit when I think no one cares. Get over the shame about drawing what I like to draw, and keep things interesting for myself, personally.

Ultimately, it's not fair, but not having feedback is somewhat the artist's fault. I only really care about what certain people have to say about my work, because I understand their judgment and feel they have a good assessment of my overall goals and our medium, but I've let most of those relationships wither. I know I don't comment enough it get other people interested in what I do, so I loose out on the moral support of knowing there are more people who just like my work. Both are just a blow to my self-confidence, but it's really up to me to repair them, to do the work and keep up with people.

Long story short, the only way to feel better about your work is to keep your head in the game. If you can't keep your head about your own work, then that probably means that you don't just feel fed up with only art, and might want to reflect on that further.
    apathetic.

I am more so bummed out with how long it will take me to make something really. I am happy with where I am as I see getting better time to time but I tale SO LONG to start an finish. An when I see other people do so quickly it bums me out.

The thing with that is, a lot of those people have been practicing for YEARS. Some have even gone to school specifically for art where they teach you to do things quickly.

That's the big thing about art. Practice. Draw something, step back and see what needs to be fixed, then draw it again with that fix. Rinse, repeat for years. After a while, the things that took you forever you can practically do with your eyes closed solely because you've done it so many times.

It's like tying a shoe. When you think about it, tying a shoe is pretty damn complicated. But because you've done it since you were single-digit aged it barely takes you 10 seconds now.

Weasyl
    Sparkyopteryx
    I can't say much more that hasn't already been said, and eloquently in the case of some posters. What I can simply add is that you should be creating for you, not just viewers. Your art interacts and affects them yes, but the ideas, conception and execution are all you. If you allow outside forces take away that fundamental quality of your art being your art, it ceases to be yours.

As for myself, my work does not depress me as much as it exasperates me. A picture I'm especially proud of only getting a tiny handful of views or feedback makes me a little sad yes, after all I am only human, but I also know since art is so subjective it's possible that even though it resonates with me personally, it might not hit that same vibe for most anyone else. I infuriate myself more than any outside influence can do. I always make sure that at the end of the day if I am disappointed with something, I'm still one picture more than I was at the beginning of it, and just that much wiser and more experienced.

We have a working and solid relationship, my art and I. Balanced between give and take. You get out what you put in.

Weasyl
    Noxid
    along these lines, it's why I enjoy art trades. You get to practice and have fun, and you can be guaranteed at least /one/ other person is going to appreciate it :V
    and that's enough for me I guess.

Weasyl
    Art Vulpine
    Well I guess I'll tell you all about my experience at the end of 2014. I was on the Fur Affinity forum discussing art and a few people basically said that the reason why I wasn't getting anyone on my site was because my furry art was bad. Now this was upsetting, but then I realized that it was true, my art was very different from the others I favorited and not because it was a different style. So this was a rude awakening and kind of put me into a hiatus for a little bit as I pondered if even with practice others would see I'm improving or if the damage was done with my art and no improvement would fix things. Although I'm practicing and feeling better, this was a big eye opener. The moral: sometimes we don't see what we do until someone wakes us up.
    DeviantArt FurAffinity

Imagination is the Source of Creativity!

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    One thing about getting better with arts is that if you try too hard, you won't succeed. You lose tracks of what you are capable of and tries too hard to copy other people style, ruining your own while drawing stuffs you don't want to draw.

This case happened with me a year ago when I tried going for a commish and gave up a day after cause I felt like shit nonstop. I even thought about drawing generic stuffs I didn't want to draw for attention on that day and looking back, it was stupid as fuck.

Now? I just draw shits I love and people that love it will come to you. Drawing nonstop for a day or two while producing pieces at consistent quality if how you gain quick exposure because the way that art spread is not "My piece is super good so I am now popular and exposed" BUT "My piece is super good and this one dude who is famous sees it and he shares it so I am now exposed" because LBR, even if it's good, if no one sees it, it goes poof from the front page in 5 minutes and will never be seen again by those outside people watching you.

And remember that just because this is your kind of taste doesn't mean everyone will like it too. Out of all my OCs, my cat is my most favourite one but to the community, most people hate the way he is designed especially his clothing. Their interests are more toward the sea serpent char which is my least favourite. Even so, I still enjoy drawing my cat OC even if it means generating 3-4x less views and fav with only 1-2 watcher at most per piece instead of 5-10.