Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Anyone feel depressed about their art?

I'm really enjoying drawing nearly every day and continuing to see improvement with each piece, however, i have been putting myself everywhere, interacting with everyone i can, and yet, nothing i draw is being noticed. It's getting a little depressing.
    I mean, i know art should be done for your own personal achievement, but it's nice to have a bit of recognition.

Anyone feel like this?

Weasyl
    Noxid
    I think maybe, everyone?
    Like, not trying to be a debbie downer, but it's just not easy to get people to care. Unless you appeal to their very specific fetish or have an insane amount of talent. I try not to dwell on it too much but sometimes it can be real demotivating.

I forgot what my positive slant was gonna be, uhhhhhh

Haha. I think i know what you mean. A lot of artists start with fanart first to get noticed...

Weasyl
    Jess Quna
    Well, there is the critique section on the forum here... though that got me nowhere...
    And I must admit, sometimes it gets me down... I get a bit recognition (mainly from my friends) for being able to engrave, but that's only because I engrave their favorite characters and they happen to like it then. My drawing skills aren't getting any better due to lack of response or tips so the chance I'll be able to draw something original to put on my glasses is very slim, only thing I'm kind of good at drawing is tribal so yeah...
    Greetings
    There's no shame in falling down as getting up shows your strength

Weasyl
    Antumbra
    Always. I figure though if I keep plugging away, something good will happen. If not, well at least I enjoyed what I did on the way.

Weasyl
    Vae
    It doesn't usually bother me.
    But then I get to the things that I spend 12 - 20 hours on, a lot of which I consider my best work, and it can be hair-rippingly frustrating and depressing when those receive so little attention next to my five-minute bullshit scribbles.
    Last edited by Vae; 10-30-2014 at 08:48 PM.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Oof. I'd be careful with those sorts of thoughts. You dwell on them long enough and before you know it they turn into these sludge-creatures that get into your creative cogs and pretty much fudge everything up. Believe me, it's as nasty a mess to see as it is to experience.

Anyways there's nothing wrong with what you're feeling at the moment. Everyone craves a bit of attention to some degree; artists aren't an exception to it. It's good that you're at least trying to get yourself out there in the network, but do remember to keep your focus on your art. Keep making new things for as long as the enjoyment lasts, because I guarantee you even when your growing collection doesn't get noticed for a long time there'll be one person out there who'll find you and will be curious enough to see your pieces over the years (I do that with almost every new artist I find, to see what they're about).

And blah blah, yadda yadda, practice and passion and stuff like that. I guess that's all I can say for now without going full on advice-mode. Because really, what you're going through is relatable and I do wish it can be easy to fix with just a few words, but everyone works differently and I can never tell if what I experience is considered normal enough to give advice on.
    Wait. What were we talking about?

Weasyl
    Hewge
    I was feeling terrible about the draws for a while. I mean, I'd still do it daily but it made me a bit depressed.
    I didn't like that feel! So I said; fk that, I'm going to like my draws for what they be, and all that matters is that I like them.
    Since then my productivity has become monumentally better, and I just feel much better about everything in general.

It's best not to listen to that creepy little voice that says "I can't do this".

Of course, that's not saying to ignore flaws or stop trying to improve either xP

Weasyl
    Noxid
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    It doesn't usually bother me.
    But then I get to the things that I spend 12 - 20 hours on, a lot of which I consider my best work, and it can be hair-rippingly frustrating and depressing when those receive so little attention next to my five-minute bullshit scribbles.
    A friend of mine swears that "The pieces you put the most work into are the ones people pay the least attention to"
    that's why I dont put any work into anything [nah I try a lot actually]

but, it's the ones I put the most work into that *I* feel the most happy from, so it's not all bad.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxid View Post
    A friend of mine swears that "The pieces you put the most work into are the ones people pay the least attention to"
    that's why I dont put any work into anything [nah I try a lot actually]

but, it's the ones I put the most work into that *I* feel the most happy from, so it's not all bad.
    I'm usually like "Yeah, no one is paying attention, but damn, I sure would like this on a shirt / cellphone case / printed out and framed / etc."
    And sometimes I actually do those things.
    So it's not all bad.
    Resident Koopa Trash