Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Any board-gamers here?

Weasyl
    teahee
    Anyone play Smallworld? My brother-in-law who is a board games guru introduced me to it. I liked it so much I ended up buying it! But sadly, my friends never want to play it. Everyone has such short attention spans these days, but I'm not one to talk at all. I find games like Catan incredibly boring.

Thanks to the bro-in-law I get introduced to new games every Thanksgiving or Christmas, but it's very hit or miss with me. It's neat to think so many of the games started with Kickstarter, though. Dreams do come true!

Weasyl
    N/A
    KickStarter seems to be a ripe breeding ground for boardgames. I'm still waiting on High Frontier which is a board game about exploring/exploiting the solar system in a as-realistic-as-you-can spacecraft. The edition I played had a beautiful board and the routes were basically all those you would use in Kerbal to explore the solar system. I fell in love instantly with the game when my solar sail exploded into a million pieces because it got hit by a solar flare.

Also Catan is incredibly boring. At least any of the original variants. I do however love the 2 player Catan board game (and the dice game).
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    HappyWulf
    Teahee, try getting Carcassone as a gateway eurogame. It's simple, fast paced, fun, semi-competitive. You build cities and towns, trying to score points. The rules are extremely simple and they'll get you in that right mind set that will allow you to enjoy the deeper euro games like Catan. If you can get to the point where you enjoy Catan, you can then try Puerto Rico which is more about winning through new world market trade than by inter-player resource trading.

I also recommend BANG! The Dice Game for groups with short attention spans.
    Games currently playing:
    3DS: Monster Hunter 4U - PC: Elite: Dangerous - Rust - PS4: Blodborne - SW:Battlefront

Upcoming games I will be playing:
    PC: CrowFall - Star Citizen - PS4: Dark Souls 3