Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Any board-gamers here?

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    Hell yeah! One of my top favorites is Cosmic Encounter, it has the best balance of fun party game and in-depth strategy. Pandemic is a great game too but if you really want to feel helpless Yggdrasil is were it's at.

I'm not a big fan of card games (unless they use Magic the Gathering mechanics) but I really love the Catan Card Game. I find the original Settlers of Catan game to be ridiculously dry and boring but the card game was very enjoyable.

As for other mentions, the first "eurogame" I played was Pompeii and it's still in my top favorite. Power Grid is also a good one as is Twilight Struggle (which also works as an entry game into the world of war gaming GMT style).

In the realm of party games, Dixit and Telestrations are fun as hell. Dixit is the reason why I don't really care for Cards against Humanity. CaH is much less a game and more so an aide to normal conversation, whereas Dixit really brings out the imagination in people and tests to see just how well everyone knows each other (the 'main' person only gains points if some people guess right; if everyone guesses right or no one guesses right the 'main' gets 0 points). Besides which, if you also add The Resistance to your library then you can just dump CaH into a dumpster because you will never play another game that will destroy both your friendships and eardrums. (Well, except for maybe Diplomacy).

There are also a ton more games I could mention that I've played and enjoyed but sadly my memory is a terrible thing.
    I'll have to check some of these out.

Powergrid has been on our list for a while, and it certainly seems like the sort of game I'd be into. I tend to like what I call random, odd games, more so than war and fantasy types of games, though of course there are exceptions.

My mate got Mice and Mystics and the expansions, simply because it's soooo cute!

Dixit and Telestrations also seem right up my alley...will have to look for these, as well.

One game that's out of print we really, really want is one called, Funny Friends. I love this designer, and we just ordered the new version of Landlord. But funny friends has such a dark, biting sense of humor, it's hard for me to resist!

Glad to see there's this much interest in these sorts of games...and I still like simpler board games. Games like Sorry, simple as they are, still amuse me, if only because they expose sore losers, and give you the ability to tease and heckle! As an English major, I'm pretty good at scrabble, though haven't played it in some time.

Happy gaming, everyone

Weasyl
    N/A
    Definitely gonna look into Funny Friends.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

Weasyl
    N/A

Weasyl
    Pignog
    Catan is trash garbage Moogle... unless I win next time I'm there.

Twilight Struggle is amazing.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    I used to play Chess a lot :v

That counts, right?

Weasyl
    Pignog
    I love Chess, it's my favorite game.

I also like Go but I'm new to it.

I also love terrible hex-based wargames but they all have 60pg rulebooks and no one wants to play them.

We usually play a few when I go around to a friend's house. Carcassonne was quite good, and I really enjoy Rummikub, though we play it without the 60-second time limit, to give us more time to pull of really crazy shit. I think we had some Scrabble last time too.

Weasyl
    Eagle GodHeart
    yep, board gamer right here....
    it takes a real man to call sin out by its real name
    -anonomus

אב, סלח להם; כי הם לא יודעים מה הם עושים
    -ישועה

profile pic by uncle-noob on teen furs.

Weasyl
    Pignog
    Played sum borrrred games over the weekend, Galaxy Trucker and Pandemic. Galaxy Trucker is hilarious and great if you just want to get drunk and laugh at each other. Pandemic is a neat co-op game but I feel like a couple of the characters trivialize the game, maybe I'm wrong though.

Trying out that Game of Thrones boardgame this weekend. I heard it's like Diplomacy. Anyone have any experience with it? Before we play it we're gonna warm up with this puppy I just got: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/171668/grizzled You play as some french soldiers and try to survive WWI with the power of ~friendship~. The art is gorgeous and was done by one of the cartoonists who died during the Charlie Hebdo attack back in January: http://cmon.com/wp-content/uploads/2...-COUV-BOIT.png

Weasyl
    HappyWulf
    Totally! I like all sorts, deep strategy, co-op, themeatic, bluffing, hidden role, wargaming, RPG...

Recently I've been playing Betrayal at the House on the Hill, StarWars Imperial Assault, Coup, and a bunch of stuff I've recently kickstarted like 10 Minutes to Kill (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/174476/10-kill very Furry!) and Kingdom Death: Monster, which has in turn gotten me into miniatures painting as a hobby.

I've been looking for a group to play KD:M online with, a few interested, but no one follows through. It's a 25-session epic campaign that are a series of grid-based fights and base building in between. It's very themeatic and story driven. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...-death-monster