Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Any board-gamers here?

Weasyl
    N/A

Any board-gamers here?

Just wondering if anyone else is into board/card/table-top games.

Me and my mate have been getting into a few of them, and I wondered if anyone else is much into this kind o thing.

So far, we have/play:

Robinson Crusoe (my personal favorite, so far)
    Pandemic, and expansions
    Quantum
    Legacy (great Euro game)
    Landlord (card game)

Does anyone else prefer this sorta gaming? Oddly, I find myself more attracted to these than video games, so I guess I'm weird that way.

So if you play such games, what are your favorites?

Weasyl
    N/A
    Hell yeah! One of my top favorites is Cosmic Encounter, it has the best balance of fun party game and in-depth strategy. Pandemic is a great game too but if you really want to feel helpless Yggdrasil is were it's at.

I'm not a big fan of card games (unless they use Magic the Gathering mechanics) but I really love the Catan Card Game. I find the original Settlers of Catan game to be ridiculously dry and boring but the card game was very enjoyable.

As for other mentions, the first "eurogame" I played was Pompeii and it's still in my top favorite. Power Grid is also a good one as is Twilight Struggle (which also works as an entry game into the world of war gaming GMT style).

In the realm of party games, Dixit and Telestrations are fun as hell. Dixit is the reason why I don't really care for Cards against Humanity. CaH is much less a game and more so an aide to normal conversation, whereas Dixit really brings out the imagination in people and tests to see just how well everyone knows each other (the 'main' person only gains points if some people guess right; if everyone guesses right or no one guesses right the 'main' gets 0 points). Besides which, if you also add The Resistance to your library then you can just dump CaH into a dumpster because you will never play another game that will destroy both your friendships and eardrums. (Well, except for maybe Diplomacy).

There are also a ton more games I could mention that I've played and enjoyed but sadly my memory is a terrible thing.
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics
    "You are what you do not do." - Relax

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    I'm a strong amateur at Scrabble and play a decent (albeit rusty) chess game as well. I'm also interested in learning Go if I ever find the time.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I think Scrabble is my weakest game. I'm terrible at spelling and my mind is not wired to be able to anagram on the fly; which causes exceptionally long game turns for me (at the annoyance of the players). I play Chess on occasion on chess.com and played a few games of Go on Yahoo. Go is actually a really simple game to learn mechanically speaking. The only illegal move is to place a "dead" piece (a piece is dead if it is surrounded on all four sides). This site isn't too bad for learning the game: http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/
    "To tell us that every species of thing is endowed with an occult specific quality by which it acts and produces manifest effects, is to tell us nothing; but to derive two or three general principles of motion from phenomena, and afterwards to tell us how the properties and actions of all corporeal things follow from those manifest principles, would be a very great step." -Issac Newton, Optics

Weasyl
    Tipsy
    The games I play feel so... basic, compared to all these, lol. I'm into games that can be played almost subconsciously over drinks, dinner, and some conversation, 'cause I host Friday night game nights at my place (haven't lately because of broken air conditioning, though). Stuff like UNO, Clue, Wits and Wagers, Sorry, Aggravation, etc.

Cards Against Humanity is the best one, though, usually ending up with someone laughing so hard that they're in tears. :'D

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    I think Scrabble is my weakest game. I'm terrible at spelling and my mind is not wired to be able to anagram on the fly; which causes exceptionally long game turns for me (at the annoyance of the players). I play Chess on occasion on chess.com and played a few games of Go on Yahoo. Go is actually a really simple game to learn mechanically speaking. The only illegal move is to place a "dead" piece (a piece is dead if it is surrounded on all four sides). This site isn't too bad for learning the game: http://playgo.to/iwtg/en/
    Scrabble's definitely my best game, in a two-player Scrabble game I average around 300 points. I've read through that Go site before, got through all the lessons feeling reasonably competent, then went to play a game against a bot in a beginner room on KGS and was promptly slaughtered.

Speaking of Cards Against Humanity, I should start a Xyzzy session sometime in the next week or two.
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Go has a tremendously steep learning curve. You'll pretty much be stuck playing on a 9x9 board for a while. I play most of the time on my phone via: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...o.aifactory.go And I can barely get up to CPU(5), and that's with the visual aide it provides.

Weasyl
    Tipsy
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    Speaking of Cards Against Humanity, I should start a Xyzzy session sometime in the next week or two.
    Cards Against Humanity is so much better online, in my opinion. I wish there were regular weekly games for Weasyl members! That'd be really fun! :'D

9.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #9

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkCat View Post
    Go has a tremendously steep learning curve. You'll pretty much be stuck playing on a 9x9 board for a while. I play most of the time on my phone via: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...o.aifactory.go And I can barely get up to CPU(5), and that's with the visual aide it provides.
    I was looking for an app like that, and I can spare three bucks. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipsy View Post
    Cards Against Humanity is so much better online, in my opinion. I wish there were regular weekly games for Weasyl members! That'd be really fun! :'D
    That was a thing for a while after I started a thread for Xyzzy games but then I got busy and it's been inactive since. Might find some time this weekend to try to revive it, even though I work and should churn through some of the ticket queue sometime too.
         
       
    Now,
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    N/A
    They do have a free version if you want to check it out here. I've actually grown to really like the company as I also bought their Sudoku and Backgammon apps.