Photography: anyone interested?

Photography seems to be ubiquitous. What do you think it takes for a photo to rise above *the snapshot*?

Weasyl
    N/A
    Photo Shop.

Some of the best photos I've seen could not possibly have been taken in the way they were presented. All of them had to be run thru some sort of professional photo editing software to adjust color levels, contrasts, gamma levels, or some such. Other than that composition, staging, and focal points seem to stand out to me. A well take black and white photo can speak more to me than a full color spread. My $.02 anyway, for what it's worth.

Weasyl
    Kaedal
    Most professional photographers shoot in RAW. This allows them to adjust and compensate in post-processing, turning a picture that is too dark to be used into something actually useable. A lot of work needs to be put in for that one, perfect shot. In fact, some photographers can spend hours setting up their equipment, in freezing cold weather, just to get a single shot.

I'm still trying to get the perfect shot. I've been into photography for years now, and it hasn't happened yet. But someday, I'm sure it will. It takes a lot of work, but it's worth it.

Weasyl
    Cerelia
    photography is something I have always been very interested in. I realized, it's something I wouldn't want to do, but I find it very interesting, and an art I definitely like.

it can be a way to show amazing sights that not everyone can see, (ex. landmarks, wildlife) or, my personal favourite, everyday things in a new way.

I feel as if photography isn't taken as seriously as it used to be, but I wouldn't exactly know.
    so here's where people would keep inspirational things but like

lemme tell you something you can look at that's real inspirational yeah

a mirror

wow man look at that prolly gorgeous huh

Weasyl
    Kaedal
    Oh, it's taken very seriously amongst photographers and people who need them. As I recall, it can pay really well too, if you're good at it. The expensive costs of high end equipment just turns a lot of people off, as does the fact that you'll mostly work freelance. But you can mostly skirt around the costs by buying from sites such as Amazon. I bought a high quality tripod for just $20 from them earlier this month. Great purchase.

Weasyl
    Vae
    To answer the OP question: Intent and clarity.

On the subject of photography in general: My fiance has much more of an interest in it than I do, and has two expensive cameras and a number of lenses.

I like it, but I don't take it as seriously, I guess. I've gotten some really good pictures, but more from simply following my instincts than a lot of technical knowledge like what my fiance goes by.

I favor landscape and sky photography, though.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes
    My husband is a photographer. To me, good photography clearly demonstrates knowledge of design elements and principles and it tells a story.