Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Kaluna
    Quote Originally Posted by Hewge View Post
    What the heck

Since when does Weasyl jump 8 pages of posts within a day?!
    It's because everyones on Weasyl right now since FA's down, and all they want to talk about is FA being down.

Weasyl
    sassySloth
    What the heck

Since when does Weasyl jump 8 pages of posts within a day?!
    Just like the FAF days Hewge. When FA goes down every other site gets their chance to shine.

Or, at least the desperate furs deign to visit the other fur sites.
    Watch me swooce right in.

Weasyl
    WolfNightV4X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaluna View Post
    It's because everyones on Weasyl right now since FA's down, and all they want to talk about is FA being down.
    Basically x3 Im here because of the FAF and FA shutdown. I commented on a few other threads but I've been here more because there's a sense of familiarity here I guess. FA really does have it's pitfalls and I do not like it's failures at all. Yet despite that I'm there all the time simply out of habit. Weasyl seems better off and I do like weasyl but I just haven't gotten 'in' it.

----

Anyways, regarding artists, I have my opinion that I've been afraid to bring up because it seems rather rude. I can't imagine how being an artist for a living is a reasonable income, it could be sporadic and the competition is high. Props to the artists who actually do make a living off of it but wow...I hope a lot of them have other sources of income that help out more because as great and amazing as art is art is a luxury, it's not something people would buy if they needed food and shelter first it just isn't a necessity.
    Howl 'Havoc' and let slip the wolves of war

Weasyl
    Jim-Medic-Dude(NSFW), Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    It's also not these artists faults that they refuse to do better. BUT it IS their fault that they don't get proactive and start making fallbacks.

I see people going "I USE FA TO PAY MY BILLS!"
    Really?
    You use FA to pay your bills, to EAT and keep a ROOF over your head. But you don't think your JOB is that important to keep your ass covered? You don't maintain and give your clients sufficient contact information? Multiple emails? Tumblr? Blogger? Soup? Weasyl? DeviantArt? ConceptArt? Steam or Skype if you're comfortable giving out IM handles? These people LIVE off of drawing and they don't think about this? With FA CONSTANTLY going down, they didn't think "huh, maybe I should prepare for this when the site goes down tomorrow for a month." Make it known. Put it in their faces at all times. Force a more reliable contact means (NOT FA) down their throats. State it in your ToS.
    This is where I have trouble understanding people. It's really not that hard to establish other avenues of communication and art-posting. I think it reflects poorly on a person's ability to plan and shows an inherit short-sightedness. Relying on a single website you have no control over for all of your art and related transactions is silly. Especially a site that regularly goes down, frequently gets DDOS'd, and hits botched updates and 'server migrations' on a relatively frequent basis.

It continues to amaze me how the broad majority of the fandom clings to that website so dearly. I've tried understanding it but I don't think there's a real rational reasoning to it.

That being said I'd also argue that it is partially the artists' and users' faults for the administration's refusal to improve at all. I mean, they get away with it for a reason. They've fucked up royally a number of times but everyone's always willing to accept their half-hearted apology and then act all surprised when it happens again down the road.

I won't be surprised if this somehow causes them to lose people's stuff, or go offline for a month or two again, or something. Then they'll be all "Here's a convoluted apology that absolves blame on our parts plz forgive us again" and then the broad majority of the people stuck over there for whatever reason will just go with it and be all "It's okay you try so hard we forgive you <3" and it'll just be a matter of time until it happens all over again.

Weasyl
    Namba
    The irony here, everyone, is that Weasyl is the technically superior site and yet for some reason the only time this site gets any traffic whatsoever, it's when that 1997-esque website is taking another trip down the shitter, just waiting to be extracted from the septic tank of the internet. Then again, I've really quit using either so either way I couldn't give two fucks about it being down.

I'm amazed at how many irresponsible artists are losing their shit.
    Yeah FA is trash. It gets hacked, DDoS'd, or just flatout breaks due to admin incompetence like fucking clockwork. It sucks that it happens and it sucks even harder that the administration is too lazy to improve the site to reduce the chances of it breaking for extended periods. It's also not these artists faults that they refuse to do better. BUT it IS their fault that they don't get proactive and start making fallbacks.

I see people going "I USE FA TO PAY MY BILLS!"
    Really?
    You use FA to pay your bills, to EAT and keep a ROOF over your head. But you don't think your JOB is that important to keep your ass covered? You don't maintain and give your clients sufficient contact information? Multiple emails? Tumblr? Blogger? Soup? Weasyl? DeviantArt? ConceptArt? Steam or Skype if you're comfortable giving out IM handles? These people LIVE off of drawing and they don't think about this? With FA CONSTANTLY going down, they didn't think "huh, maybe I should prepare for this when the site goes down tomorrow for a month." Make it known. Put it in their faces at all times. Force a more reliable contact means (NOT FA) down their throats. State it in your ToS.

I don't even live off commissions. It's like side money for me. But even my picky ass has a plan B, C, D, and K should Weasyl, be unreachable.
    Posts like this are the reason this forum needs a FUCKING "LIKE" BUTTON

Weasyl
    Hewge
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfNightV4X1 View Post
    Anyways, regarding artists, I have my opinion that I've been afraid to bring up because it seems rather rude. I can't imagine how being an artist for a living is a reasonable income, it could be sporadic and the competition is high. Props to the artists who actually do make a living off of it but wow...I hope a lot of them have other sources of income that help out more because as great and amazing as art is art is a luxury, it's not something people would buy if they needed food and shelter first it just isn't a necessity.

Because we totally live in a world where people only want "the necessities" and don't spend excessive amounts of money on things which they don't need in any way whatsoever ;]

Actually, pretty much everything people "need" these days isn't something they need at all.

Saying art isn't necessary in general is a bit daft. If art didn't exist at all, a whole lot of other things wouldn't either.
    The world would be significantly more boring - no more paintings, no more covers or splash arts, no more video games, no more movies, logos, animated things of any kind, music, etc etc.

Art is pretty much everywhere you look, and every single bit of it was created by at least one artist out there - even if you don't think about it most of the time.

Speaking about freelance illustration, it's for sure true that your income would be based on skill level and time willing to put in.
    There's plenty of money in art - but most of the time people don't seem to realize how much effort it really takes.
    Drawing, painting, and studying for thousands upon thousands of hours, and doing it every single day. As well as needing to network and make connections on your own.
    Then if you do manage to begin making money off of your art, you need to continue putting in these massive amounts of hours - all day, every day. While also still networking for yourself and continuing to make yourself known.

I think most people would prefer to just get a job working for X thing and be paid for it, as opposed to needing to entirely rely on all the effort full-time free lance would take, and there's nothing wrong with that at all.
    More staple jobs would also make it easier to make connections and friends xP

tl;dr: There's definitely a lot of money in art. It just takes a whole lot of work and time.
    There is a reason ~great and successful artists~ have had to commit their entire life to this one passion.

Off topic, but that's my probably wrong opinion and thoughts on that whole subject, anyways.

Weasyl
    Harbinger
    Yeah this site sure is way fancier, you'd think it would be a helluva lot popular.
    "Some people think im bonkers, but i just think im free..."

Weasyl
    Flygon
    It takes a lot to get people to permanently move from a hub to a node. This is all perfectly normal, especially with how fragmented the market is (eg. dA being another significant hub, Inkbunny attracting a significant amount of a certain subset of the cub community that's essentially excommunicated from Weasyl that makes up a surprising amount of users, SoFurry managing to basically assimilate almost the entire author community, and e621 attracting a significant amount of the so-called 'casual' audience (which I'd essentially define as the people that just want to view the artwork). Only Fur Affinity has succeeded in being a jack of all trades for most of these websites, Inkbunny's cub community exempted for obvious reasons).

If Weasyl is going to capture at least 70% of the active users on FA that will be left stranded, it's going to be a hell of a lot of work. Especially if there's a future prospect of FA returning again.

And to be honest, and not to try and upset anyone or anything, but I can very easily see e621 absorbing a significant amount of the prospective audience, purely due to a large amount of people only wanting to be around to view the art. Weasyl quite simply lacks the art archive necessary to retain this audience. Inkbunny and particularly SoFurry face this problem too, but not as dramatically as Weasyl, thanks to how young the website is.

Also copypastaing image descriptions from the other sites to here is a pain. :U
    Last edited by Flygon; 10-17-2014 at 04:12 AM.

Weasyl
    SweetSushi
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSavage View Post
    FA is like the Walmart of furry sites. It's cheap. Ugly. Crowded with the weirdest people. And everyone complains about it, yet most people still find themselves there anyways.

Dude. C'mon. Go to the library. Check out a book. Go to a poetry reading at a hipster coffee shop or some shit. Find something at your community center to do.

FA really shouldn't be the centric event in your life.
    hahahha dude lolll!

And totally true, My world is not falling apart atm, even tough I am an artist. But I find my ways to entertain my life ^_^ lolol

hahahah sooo true! Its funny to see this site/forum active so suddenly, only cause fa is down. A bit sad tough

I'm amazed at how many irresponsible artists are losing their shit.

I don't even live off commissions. It's like side money for me. But even my picky ass has a plan B, C, D, and K should Weasyl, be unreachable.
    Very true, I mean I understand as an artist that we depend on the site for finding clients/commissions BUT when taking commissions, make sure to communicate through a different source. The only problem I (or we artist in genearl) have is, I do take slots through a form or my email, but most of the peeps still refer to their refsheet on fa. I do use Trello to save info and refsheets, but didn't do it for all my slots tough, but at least its something. On another note I do have all my commissioners email, so even tough I do not have the sheet, I can contact them and hopefully they have their refsheet on their computer I just hope starting artists have learned from this experience and don't freak out when it happens again!

But in any way, yess you should totally be good prepared and never ever totally depend on fa. Cause we all know, its not a rlly reliable place. But in all honesty, it is the main place to get customers O_O Since weasyl haven't been rlly THE place to find interest/commissioners, or any much activity..unless fa is down lol

I think most people would prefer to just get a job working for X thing and be paid for it, as opposed to needing to entirely rely on all the effort full-time free lance would take, and there's nothing wrong with that at all.
    More staple jobs would also make it easier to make connections and friends xP

tl;dr: There's definitely a lot of money in art. It just takes a whole lot of work and time.
    There is a reason ~great and successful artists~ have had to commit their entire life to this one passion.
    Finally, someone getting it! I mean yeah, to each there own. But allot of ppl think. ohh thats easy, lazy ass drawing artist at home. ITS NOT! I mean Yeah artist choose this (but doesn't everyone like to do a job they rlly like, yes its a JOB!), but not cause its easy, cause it is our passion or whatever reason is behind it. Its rlly hard work, and can be kinda lonely too, but in the end it's rlly somehting I enjoy too ♥ Yeah I am earning like wayy below the minimum wage, but I will get there eventually ^__^ ♥ ♥ I have the POWEEEERRR!!! teehee

Weasyl
    sassySloth
    I don't get why FA gets so much flack. Whenever it goes down I see comments like "Good, FA sucks, I hope it stays down."

FA seems perfectly serviceable. It goes down almost monthly and it's kind of a cesspit, but it's the biggest site furries have, really. I can't find much to complain about.
    Like Flygon said it would be hard to convince everyone to bail on such a dominant site.
    Watch me swooce right in.